re meat pies

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks.   I have Nagi's book.  I read the Sydney Morning Herald at the Library.

That recipe isn't in her cookbook but if you want it you can probably find it online or I could scan it and send it to you. 

I'm going to keep the recipe but don't know whether I'll ever get around to making it. Me and pastry haven't been getting along too well lately - the disadvantage of having an open plan living / kitchen area. It's either too warm for pastry or too cold for Rolf.

25 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That recipe isn't in her cookbook but if you want it you can probably find it online or I could scan it and send it to you. 

I'm going to keep the recipe but don't know whether I'll ever get around to making it. Me and pastry haven't been getting along too well lately - the disadvantage of having an open plan living / kitchen area. It's either too warm for pastry or too cold for Rolf.

No thanks I won't make it.

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Rolf still likes to get the paper every day even though he now does the cryptic crossword online. 

The pie is a Pithivier - an upside pie that has a hole on top where you pour gravy into it. The recipe comes from Nagi (RecipeTin Eats) and looks very complicated. 

The pie looks amazing Julie. I have made quite a few of Nagi's recipes.

Here is the link to the recipe if anyone is interested - 

Nagi's Pithivier Recipe

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Nagi's Pithivier Recipe

I use a lot of her recipes too. Mostly really good although sometimes I have to dial some ingredients back a bit: sugar, garlic, bay leaves etc as I find her quantities to much for my palate.

I'm having a discussion with a friend over Nagi's Madeleine recipe. She's only used Nagi's so I've sent her mine which is from Larousse Gastronomique. It will be interesting to see which recipe she prefers.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

One of the dishes in tonight's MasterChef challenge is a a Wagyu Pie - Pithivier style.

Coincidence?

I was just going to post that very comment😊 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, possum52 said:

Nagi's Pithivier Recipe

Thank you Leigh for providing the recipe.  I enjoyed reading it, but it confirmed I wouldn't want to make it.  Fancy it currently being on MasterChef.  Did anyone watch?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, yarramar said:

They are industry awards - from the link you provided above - The Baking Association of Australia held the 2023 awards, which saw 380 bakeries enter over 1500 pies to be judged over the three days of the competition.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, possum52 said:

They are industry awards - from the link you provided above - The Baking Association of Australia held the 2023 awards, which saw 380 bakeries enter over 1500 pies to be judged over the three days of the competition.

I think competitions like these are an excellent idea.  Signs for “best pies” in small country towns always make us smile and sometimes stop if it is around meal time. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I think competitions like these are an excellent idea.  Signs for “best pies” in small country towns always make us smile and sometimes stop if it is around meal time. 

At our last pie stop we found a shop with

small jars of Bennys real tomato sauce and orange marmalade perfect for travellers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Thank you Leigh for providing the recipe.  I enjoyed reading it, but it confirmed I wouldn't want to make it.  Fancy it currently being on MasterChef.  Did anyone watch?

Of course! They made it look a lot easier to assemble than Nagi's recipe although on MasterChef they had to make the rough puff pastry from scratch. But it's always hard to tell with dishes on MasterChef as the cameras / editors bounce around from one cook to another so you only see snippets of the various stages in making a dish. Nagi provides a full video of the process.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

You beat me to it, Docker123😂. I’d just finished reading this article.  We should launch a Save Our Pie campaign!

33 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

You beat me to it, Docker123😂. I’d just finished reading this article.  We should launch a Save Our Pie campaign!

What about all the people who regularly eat pies from their local baker, don't they count?  I have never bought pies from supermarkets.  Picked up a Freys Pie at Aldi last week but didn't buy it, after reading the contents of the pie.  

My daughter is working from home today, so I texted her to buy me a pie with mushy pies, for lunch, but she had moussaka already cooked.

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I read it just before going to do school and kinder pickup for granddaughters and thought I should put the link on here but of course making afternoon tea for children was much more important. I bought a family pie for dinner which was on special at our local bakery for $10. Will have mashed potato and veggies with it and there will be leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I read it just before going to do school and kinder pickup for granddaughters and thought I should put the link on here but of course making afternoon tea for children was much more important. I bought a family pie for dinner which was on special at our local bakery for $10. Will have mashed potato and veggies with it and there will be leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Left overs? My wife and I years ago ate one of those Woolies family pies for dinner, no lefties, lol.

Just now, NSWP said:

Left overs? My wife and I years ago ate one of those Woolies family pies for dinner, no lefties, lol.

It’s actually quite a large family pie Les. I have had smaller ones that we have also demolished in one sitting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

It’s actually quite a large family pie Les. I have had smaller ones that we have also demolished in one sitting. 

Nice and thick, plenty of chunky meat filling, Leigh?