re meat pies

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Are you just trying to p**s in my boots today.

It looks like I have to explain the expression about guts and glory. This is commonly used where someone decries something without first trying it. It is not offensive here in Aus. and it is also used to describe all sorts of instances eg. People who decry cruising yet have never tried it, I'm sure you've met many of them, it's similar to "Don't knock it if you haven't tried it".

Believe me if I was intending to urinate in your footware you would be in no doubt.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for clearing the air Russell21, unfortunately split pea soup is the problem. It's not that I'm not bold enough to try it (I'm willing to spoil at least 1 pie with tomato sauce because it's a thing) You may not know it but split pea soup is a widely liked soup in Canada, for me not so much. I wouldn't try it because the result would be a rather messy incident involving Vomit

7 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Pie floater is really a Southern thing, maybe even limited to Vic and SA.

Mr Gut, Harry's Cafe de Wheels here in Sydney has been serving Floaters for as long as I can remember. Older cousins who were sailors first introduced me to them after they used to use Harry's as a last stop before returning to ship or Barracks.

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks for clearing the air Russell21, unfortunately split pea soup is the problem. It's not that I'm not bold enough to try it (I'm willing to spoil at least 1 pie with tomato sauce because it's a thing) You may not know it but split pea soup is a widely liked soup in Canada, for me not so much. I wouldn't try it because the result would be a rather messy incident involving Vomit

I've seen your south of the border cousins react the same way when trying our famous Vegemite. When I lived in the Philippines one of my regular breakfast places used to keep a jar of Vegemite for the Aussies, and invariably some of the Yanks just had to try it. I've never seen one of them take a second bite of the toast it was on.

Edited by Russell21
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We often call it a chat with "Ralph" on the porcelain telephone, and any other bunch of quaint terms. I do like those 2 though By The Bay. 

There is an Australian movie called Barry Mackenzie that had a song celebrating the art of having a projectile spit. Here are the words. 

The Old Pacific Sea

I was down by Bondi Pier, drinkin' tubes of ice cold beer, With a bucket full of prawns upon my knee, When I swallowed the last prawn, I had a technicolor yawn and I chundered in the old Pacific Sea. Drink it up, drink it up, crack another dozen tubes and prawns with me, If you want to throw your voice, mate you won't have any choice, But to chunder in the Old Pacific Sea. I was sittin in the surf, when a mate of mine called Murf, Asks if he can crack a tube or two with me. The bastard barely swallowed it, When he went for the big split, and he chundered in the Old Pacific Sea. Drink it up, drink it up, crack another dozen tubes and prawns with me, If you want to throw your voice, mate you won't have any choice, But to chunder in the Old Pacific Sea. I've had liquid laughs in cars, and I've hurled from moving cars, And I've chuckled when and where it suited me. But if I could choose the spot, To regurgitate me lot, then I'd chunder in the Old Pacific Sea. Drink it up, drink it up, crack another dozen tubes and prawns with me, If you want to throw your voice, mate you won't have any choice, But to chunder in the Old Pacific Sea.

29 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I can vaguely remember a Pie van outside the Adelaide railway station sold them, but I declined to try. No guts, no glory.

Still there till 2007bwhen the tram extension caused it to close Balfour it was, they moved to the Mall for a while, but without the train custom it didn’t last 

25 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Mr Gut, Harry's Cafe de Wheels here in Sydney has been serving Floaters for as long as I can remember. Older cousins who were sailors first introduced me to them after they used to use Harry's as a last stop before returning to ship or Barracks.

I thought Harry’s sold them back in the 60s but wasn’t totally certain back then I only got to Harrys every couple of years, pretty sure it’s not on the menu any more.

12 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

There is an Australian movie called Barry Mackenzie that had a song celebrating the art of having a projectile spit. Here are the words. 

The Old Pacific Sea

I was down by Bondi Pier, drinkin' tubes of ice cold beer, With a bucket full of prawns upon my knee, When I swallowed the last prawn, I had a technicolor yawn and I chundered in the old Pacific Sea. Drink it up, drink it up, crack another dozen tubes and prawns with me, If you want to throw your voice, mate you won't have any choice, But to chunder in the Old Pacific Sea. I was sittin in the surf, when a mate of mine called Murf, Asks if he can crack a tube or two with me. The bastard barely swallowed it, When he went for the big split, and he chundered in the Old Pacific Sea. Drink it up, drink it up, crack another dozen tubes and prawns with me, If you want to throw your voice, mate you won't have any choice, But to chunder in the Old Pacific Sea. I've had liquid laughs in cars, and I've hurled from moving cars, And I've chuckled when and where it suited me. But if I could choose the spot, To regurgitate me lot, then I'd chunder in the Old Pacific Sea. Drink it up, drink it up, crack another dozen tubes and prawns with me, If you want to throw your voice, mate you won't have any choice, But to chunder in the Old Pacific Sea.

poor old Bazza was drinking Fosters.

Explains the physical reaction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

I've seen your south of the border cousins react the same way when trying our famous Vegemite. When I lived in the Philippines one of my regular breakfast places used to keep a jar of Vegemite for the Aussies, and invariably some of the Yanks just had to try it. I've never seen one of them take a second bite of the toast it was on.

I will try the Vegemite and probably will be one that sets it aside. I like to try new things.

I think I may have had it before but not strait, I think my mom used it or Marmite as a flavour enhancer in her gravy and such things.

13 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I will try the Vegemite and probably will be one that sets it aside. I like to try new things.

I think I may have had it before but not strait, I think my mom used it or Marmite as a flavour enhancer in her gravy and such things.

Young Lyle, have you ever been to Englands green and pleasant land...if you are there duck into one of these, almost every town in the 'old dart'  has one. Top value, pies, sausage rolls, pasties, pastries, they got it all, just like Ronnies.greggs.jpg.61e43735cad7234b043f75efc1e2dbe0.jpg

Edited by NSWP

36 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I thought Harry’s sold them back in the 60s but wasn’t totally certain back then I only got to Harrys every couple of years, pretty sure it’s not on the menu any more.

Gut, I first went to Harrys back in 67, when I was stationed at Darlo.  They had the prescribed 'floaters' back then.   You had to be careful walking around near Harrys, a lot of the sailors and the louts had a habit of practicing their 'technicolour yawn.'  One did not want one's shiny Baxter boots to have such nastiness on them.  Would not have been Harry's products, more like the vile brew called Dirty Annie (Reschs Dinner Ale - DA for short.)  I was a Tooheys Flag Ale man myself, back then, when a laguna was 15 centavos.

Edited by NSWP

Les I like that last one, laughed at the ground, it sounds so dignified🤨

I have been to England but it was a quick 4 days. So didn't get to any pie shops, it was hard enough to find a decent chippy where we were. We both want to go back there sometime but down under comes first.

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Les I like that last one, laughed at the ground, it sounds so dignified🤨

I have been to England but it was a quick 4 days. So didn't get to any pie shops, it was hard enough to find a decent chippy where we were. We both want to go back there sometime but down under comes first.

I have been over there about 5 times, generally stay a month or two with a rental car, driven all over, England, Scotland, Ireland.  Some great scenery and history, but at the end of the day it is dirty, expensive, overcrowded and too much traffic. And at the moment, they are still dying like flies from CoVid, like 60,000 deaths.  They think it is fantastic when only 300 die in a day, they have had days with a 1000 deaths.😟

Edited by NSWP

I hear you Les, we have a lot of history here at home in Canada, I would love to drive through much of the east but that means driving through the Prairies, nice folks and vast expanses of flatness, black flies and flocks of mosquitoes the size of bumble bees. Nice people but it takes almost 3 days to get through.

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

I hear you Les, we have a lot of history here at home in Canada, I would love to drive through much of the east but that means driving through the Prairies, nice folks and vast expanses of flatness, black flies and flocks of mosquitoes the size of bumble bees. Nice people but it takes almost 3 days to get through.

Crikey young Lyle, what time is it over there where you are? You never seem to sleep. !!!😁BTW it is 1415 here.

Edited by NSWP

21 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Have to get a Mrs Gut to keep an eye out, doubt I can go two or three now, but maybe one with some mash and peas would go down OK.

You surely would not devour two or three of those Fray Bentos would you mate, one would be quite adequate with half a can of Batchelors Mushy peas, $2 at Woollies, as the topping.

peas.jpg

Edited by NSWP