re meat pies

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

You could have plum sauce or sweet and sour sauce, but you won't get those at a takeaway.  You could go to a chinese restaurant, have spring rolls and request the plum and sweet and sour sauces or chilli sauce even.

Chinese spring rolls have a much nicer wrapper, much flakier and crispier.

We have had a sharp and unpleasant decline in the quality of the local Chinese restaurant. WE used to have several good ones close by slowly the quality has gone down. For us the closest decent Chinese food is in the hot food deli at the local grocery market. Lots of people have abandoned "Chinese" for Thai or Vietnamese. Even china town is a little iffy, my former "go to" places have all changed hands and names and the food just isn't the same.

That happens sometimes. We had a very good Chinese restaurant, then it changed hand and became Singaporean/Chinese, then it changed hands again and became Malaysian/Chinese and went downhill. It changed hands again and became good again but with more Chinese dishes and only a few Malaysian ones. They do those well though.

And we now have a second Chinese restaurant which is also very good. 

Plus the two major shopping centres nearby both have a great range of Asian restaurants. Yum! Yum! Yum!

Would I be correct in assuming that if Allen’s have been gutless enough to bow down to the minorities ( again  ) and change the name of their Chico lollies that the iconic Chiko Roll will soon suffer the same fate. Can’t upset the the snowflakes can we. 😡😡😡 And what about beef and “ black” bean sauce 😱😱😱 that has to go.. Vegans, BLM and it’s a Chinese  origin dish OMG......

Edited by gbenjo

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That happens sometimes. We had a very good Chinese restaurant, then it changed hand and became Singaporean/Chinese, then it changed hands again and became Malaysian/Chinese and went downhill. It changed hands again and became good again but with more Chinese dishes and only a few Malaysian ones. They do those well though.

And we now have a second Chinese restaurant which is also very good. 

Plus the two major shopping centres nearby both have a great range of Asian restaurants. Yum! Yum! Yum!

Whereas we don't have any good Chinese restaurants close to us. Well, we did consider one  good until the last time we ate there when there was a dog allowed into the indoor dining area - NOT a service dog, who wandered from table to table sniffing people! We did say we weren't impressed to the waitress. We were told these particularly diners always bring the dog. We just decided we wouldn't eat there again. A shame, but it was something we didn't like. We both love dogs but cerainly don't want to be annoyed by one when eating. Our own dogs were never allowed near the dining table when we were eating.

We have Thai and Japanese restaurants which are good. 

Leigh

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Whereas we don't have any good Chinese restaurants close to us. Well, we did consider one  good until the last time we ate there when there was a dog allowed into the indoor dining area - NOT a service dog, who wandered from table to table sniffing people! We did say we weren't impressed to the waitress. We were told these particularly diners always bring the dog. We just decided we wouldn't eat there again. A shame, but it was something we didn't like. We both love dogs but cerainly don't want to be annoyed by one when eating. Our own dogs were never allowed near the dining table when we were eating.

We have Thai and Japanese restaurants which are good. 

Leigh

That's a shame, Leigh. I remember being taken to one somewhere in Glen Waverley or Mount Waverley many years ago with a group of business colleagues, one of whom was Chinese. It was excellent and we got to try some very interesting dishes. I guess things have changed since then.

I'm not fond of dogs roaming around restaurants either but it's quite common in parts of Europe. 

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's a shame, Leigh. I remember being taken to one somewhere in Glen Waverley or Mount Waverley many years ago with a group of business colleagues, one of whom was Chinese. It was excellent and we got to try some very interesting dishes. I guess things have changed since then.

I'm not fond of dogs roaming around restaurants either but it's quite common in parts of Europe. 

I think if the dog had of just stayed under the table and not wandered from table to table we possibly wouldn’t have minded. Yes Glen Waverley has or did have some really good Asian restaurants. We went to a Chinese one many years ago with friends which was fabulous. It’s not our area, probably a 45 minute drive these days so not somewhere we frequent. We are beside the bay. 

Leigh

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I think if the dog had of just stayed under the table and not wandered from table to table we possibly wouldn’t have minded. Yes Glen Waverley has or did have some really good Asian restaurants. We went to a Chinese one many years ago with friends which was fabulous. It’s not our area, probably a 45 minute drive these days so not somewhere we frequent. We are beside the bay. 

Leigh

Localities change, sometimes quite rapidly. Our local village went through a stage of being a culinary waste land but has an excellent variety of restaurants now - Italian (the best pizza in Sydney), a French creperie (OMG!), Spanish tapas, Middle Eastern, Japanese, Chinese and Chinese/Malaysian, a Korean one that I haven't tried yet, Indian, and classic Australian cafe/restaurants including a very good fish restaurant. It's not so good on Thai or Vietnamese at the moment. There will be a whole lot of new restaurants opening at the end of the year, it will be interesting to see what they are.

I don't know the bay side SE suburbs as well. Family use to be in Vermont South but they're all over the place now. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Are you on Harry's mailing list mate. That is loyalty.503405251_3cafedewheels.jpg.070678e551513703805d1804eacd7d8f.jpg

They seem to think if they send me pictures of pies I will rush into town and buy some, shows that Harry doesn;t just make great pies, but also how to sell them.

19 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

Chiko Rolls are an "acquired taste" - one which I have never aquired. 

Chicko roll and chips, best cure for that hangover nausea yet, puts a lining of grease on your stomach

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

If you can think of something to eat, someone has probably put it in a pie.

Many years ago I tried an Emu pie in  Perth, quite tasty, washed down with one of Alan Bond's brews - ye olde Swan Lager.

Docker's chicken and mushroom pie has got class written all over it.  I would not spoil it by chucking sauce all over it.

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Many years ago I tried an Emu pie in  Perth, quite tasty, washed down with one of Alan Bond's brews - ye olde Swan Lager.

Docker's chicken and mushroom pie has got class written all over it.  I would not spoil it by chucking sauce all over it.

Fred’s pies near Kempsey have a massive range of flavours.

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Hear hear noble sir. I had a look and even to this novice of the noble pie I can see the marvel that it is; the lovely crimped rim will add strength to the crust as you hold it. No doubt keeping it from crumbling in your hands.