re meat pies

They are going down nice with a JW Black Label & Ice, as I await the Premier game, RL. :*

Cowboys to win by 10. Townsville is going off already according to my grand daughter at James Cook Uni.

That injury hurt the player, but may hurt the Cows more.

Only three on the bench.

Definitely not an expert pie maker! Cakes and biscuits, yes but I struggle with pastry. Last night's apple pie was the least one I've ever made because it's the only one I've ever made! I need to keep practicing. If anyone is passing through Cowra, NSW, you're welcome to call in and pick up any of my attempts. Goodness knows we don't need to eat the all!

Cloves are a traditional flavour accompaniment for apples and I believe that generations ago the lattice top of an apple pie was studded with cloves. Apparently our English word "clove" comes from the Latin "clavis" meaning "nail" and when you think about it they do look like tacks.

Well, my second ever attempt at making an apple pie is in the oven and I think it looks like a train wreck.:eek: I'm gonna murder the next person who says, "as easy as pie!" What a joke!

Anyway, it's Morongla Show tomorrow and due to having a cold last week I'm only fielding 7 entries in the cooking and I'm not sure that any of them are up to scratch so I definitely won't be taking out most successful exhibitor this year.

In other news, however, I did managed most successful exhibitor at Canowindra Show a couple of weeks ago, even beating DW in the marble cake. That's one of her specialties and she has won first prize in it at the Sydney Royal Easter 2 years ago.

DW also exhibited a quilt at Canowindra and not only won her class but also was awarded quilt of the show so all is good in our household. :cool:

Well, my second ever attempt at making an apple pie is in the oven and I think it looks like a train wreck.:eek: I'm gonna murder the next person who says, "as easy as pie!" What a joke!

Anyway, it's Morongla Show tomorrow and due to having a cold last week I'm only fielding 7 entries in the cooking and I'm not sure that any of them are up to scratch so I definitely won't be taking out most successful exhibitor this year.

In other news, however, I did managed most successful exhibitor at Canowindra Show a couple of weeks ago, even beating DW in the marble cake. That's one of her specialties and she has won first prize in it at the Sydney Royal Easter 2 years ago.

DW also exhibited a quilt at Canowindra and not only won her class but also was awarded quilt of the show so all is good in our household. :cool:

Bad luck on the Apple Pie old mate.

What’s going wrong?

The pastry?

Do you blind bake the base or fill bake?

Do you pre cook your filling?

Congrats on your results, good luck for today.

I lost 2 nil, picked Crows and Cowboys. Maybe next year.:mad:

Melbourne Storm were brilliant, best RL team ever, so the experts say, I tend to agree.

I wonder how many pies they ate at ANZ stadium? They would be Four'n Twenty brand I reckon. Hundreds of them..

Heres some wise advice when buying a pie...

Good one David, although I have been to NZ three times, never had a pie there. Lamb Pie with a nice mint flavoured gravy would be a favourite would it not? :cool:

Melbourne Storm were brilliant, best RL team ever, so the experts say, I tend to agree.

I wonder how many pies they ate at ANZ stadium? They would be Four'n Twenty brand I reckon. Hundreds of them..

Agreed Uncle Les, could you tell that that to that loon Gus Gould before we send another Purple Storm up from Melbourne.Pies in NZ!! Baaaah Baaaahclear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704clear.png?emoji-tongue-1703

Not sure they’re the best ever, but outstanding all the same.

Bad luck on the Apple Pie old mate.

What’s going wrong?

The pastry?

Do you blind bake the base or fill bake?

Do you pre cook your filling?

I've never really got the hang of making pastry. I tried my mother-in-law's recipe for a biscuit pastry (ie cream together butter and sugar, beat in egg and then add flour) and it cracked when I tried to lift it to fill the tin. I'm not blind baking but I am steeping the sliced apples in nearly boiling water and then draining very well and cooling them.

Congrats on your results, good luck for today.

Didn't do great today although I got 1st place for my jam (strawberry) and in the flowers I was awarded 1st for Pansies and 2nd for Freesias.

Did not place in the Man-made Chocolate Cake and these were auctioned for charity (Beyond Blue). My cake realised $80. The lady who bought it also wanted my "rustic" apple pie :eek: and ended up taking my fruitcake, boiled pineapple fruitcake, and strawberry jam. She's going to make a donation to the Salvos for all the extras.

I've never really got the hang of making pastry. I tried my mother-in-law's recipe for a biscuit pastry (ie cream together butter and sugar, beat in egg and then add flour) and it cracked when I tried to lift it to fill the tin. I'm not blind baking but I am steeping the sliced apples in nearly boiling water and then draining very well and cooling them.

Didn't do great today although I got 1st place for my jam (strawberry) and in the flowers I was awarded 1st for Pansies and 2nd for Freesias.

Did not place in the Man-made Chocolate Cake and these were auctioned for charity (Beyond Blue). My cake realised $80. The lady who bought it also wanted my "rustic" apple pie :eek: and ended up taking my fruitcake, boiled pineapple fruitcake, and strawberry jam. She's going to make a donation to the Salvos for all the extras.

Sounds like a pretty good result to me.

boiled pineapple fruitcake.... yummy.

Agreed Uncle Les, could you tell that that to that loon Gus Gould before we send another Purple Storm up from Melbourne.Pies in NZ!! Baaaah Baaaahclear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704clear.png?emoji-tongue-1703
Hi,only ever had 1 pie in the Southern hemisphere and that was in Akoroa when a yank on our bus asked for a pie,so we all stopped at the best pie shop in town and I nearly broke my fillings lol.Your four n twenty pies look like our Greggs type pies,a little bit softer crust,cheers,Brian.

Hi,I'm no expert but my Mum used to stew up "cooking" apples(big green buggers),put a layer of pastry on the bottom fill it and add a lid of pastry on top and put it in the oven.Tasted lovely but probably contained unhealthy things like lard or Cookeen,that was the secret maybe,lol,cheers,Brian.

A good effort anyway. well done despite being ill I say.

LOL, as do you for us Uncle Les. Time to crack open another cider I think.:D

Cheers, no nightcap, bed time, 1st sitting traditional dining here, no Anytime Dining. lol.

BTW Hope you are enjoying Pacific Aria to PNG, give us a sitrep when you can or after.

Edited by NSWP

Cheers, no nightcap, bed time, 1st sitting traditional dining here, no Anytime Dining. lol.

BTW Hope you are enjoying Pacific Aria to PNG, give us a sitrep when you can or after.

I am not on the Aria, that cruise was scrubbed last year when our travelling friends pulled out. We decided to put the PNG cruise off for another year or so.

I am not on the Aria, that cruise was scrubbed last year when our travelling friends pulled out. We decided to put the PNG cruise off for another year or so.

Ah So !! I presumed you were on Aria going up the coast, as per David's list.:loudcry: