Have You Ever Regretted Sharing a Private Tour or Ride With an Unknown Fellow Passeng

jasm8449

This may sound harsh to a lot of people, but I have to agree with you. It would let others who are planning a tour know of problematic people.

In the words of a tennis player: You Can Not Be Serious?

A Cruise Critic blacklist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a fellow passenger on a tour who had a really great idea. He's big and tall, and says he always wears his most brightly coloured shirts on tours. On our tour, he had an orange shirt with red stripes. He was SO easy to spot, and we could always see where at least some of our tour mates were. Really helpful!

rating prospective participants and/or private excursion organisers would be the quickest way to kill off private excursions. If the organiser sets the rules before hand problems are minimised. If a participant doesn't want to accept the upfronr rules they can choose a ships excursion instead

rating prospective participants and/or private excursion organisers would be the quickest way to kill off private excursions. If the organiser sets the rules before hand problems are minimised. If a participant doesn't want to accept the upfronr rules they can choose a ships excursion instead

I don't go on cruises to be rated as a participant or organizer. I'd rather pay extra and do private excursions or ports on my own and not worry about someone else rating me on cruise critic.

We've participated in and organized private tours via roll calls and I can only think of one instance in which the demands of the tour (clearly stated by me as organizer) were beyond the capabilities of some of the participants and the rest of us were impacted by them.

There was one roll call member on our Adriatic cruise who posted about a small group tour to Herculaneum out of Naples led by his wife and him, supposedly historians, that we joined and found ourselves to be 2 of about 30 total, put in taxis, and then subjected to the Bickersons (aka that couple) throughout our visit to Herculaneum. When our taxi returned to port, the driver demanded payment even though we'd prepaid the tour organizer for that! We did have a good time with our fellow travelers laughing and rolling our eyes over our gullibility and the ridiculousness of this "private" tour!

I did appreciate that on a Malta tour I organized, 2 couples opted to depart via taxi back to the ship when they'd reached their limit.

Unless it's a tour on which you've already been there and done that, there will always be surprises be they generated by the tour provider, participants or weather.

Was this in 2014 on Silhouette? We saw a couple just like this at Hurculaneum when we visited on our own. Very relieved not to be on that tour...:cool:

Did it once an NEVER AGAIN. The other couple changed the plans with the driver to what they wanted to do. We got to the 1st stop an went our own ways. When we got back to the ship they demanded we pay them half of what they spent on their driver and itinerary, which was more than double what we originally planned together- HECK NO!! we paid the original driver our share of the cost to the 1st stop then it was ON THEM just like the rest of our day was on us. The next port we were all on line at the taxi stand an they began yelling "don't take a taxi with those cheapskates" pointing at us". Rest of the trip any time they saw us on the ship they yelled something about us being cheapskates.

Did it once an NEVER AGAIN. The other couple changed the plans with the driver to what they wanted to do. We got to the 1st stop an went our own ways. When we got back to the ship they demanded we pay them half of what they spent on their driver and itinerary, which was more than double what we originally planned together- HECK NO!! we paid the original driver our share of the cost to the 1st stop then it was ON THEM just like the rest of our day was on us. The next port we were all on line at the taxi stand an they began yelling "don't take a taxi with those cheapskates" pointing at us". Rest of the trip any time they saw us on the ship they yelled something about us being cheapskates.

Did you have this planned with this couple pre-cruise (or prior to the day) with clear itinerary, or did you just find them in a taxi line and decide to join together on the spot to go to a particular place and they just changed their mind once in the taxi?

If you planned a specific itinerary and they just changed it once in the vehicle, I can't blame you for leaving. For some people these ports are very important and they have been thinking of visiting a specific museum or national park for months.

If it was us, as soon they started yelling and telling people at another port to stay away from us, we would have been "we agreed to go to x and once in the taxi these people decided to go somewhere completely different. They are the cheap ones who want us to pay for half of their tour...that we were not on and went to places we never agreed to go.."

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had a fellow passenger on a tour who had a really great idea. He's big and tall, and says he always wears his most brightly coloured shirts on tours. On our tour, he had an orange shirt with red stripes. He was SO easy to spot, and we could always see where at least some of our tour mates were. Really helpful!

Mr Chew is quite tall, a tad over 6'4" and he wears a white hat in port (not a ball cap). People in our tours always follow him instead of the guide ... much easier! As long as we stay with the group!

We take ship tours in some ports, especially if we're concerned about time, we've joined private tours organized by other people, and organized some ourselves. I limit my tours to 10 people, and try to weed out any mobility issues beforehand. We've also taken some private private tours, just the two of us or our sailing party.

Although it is hard for me to disagree on the main points of your two posting in this subject, I would imagine I was not the only one checking to see which future cruises you have booked.

We're cruising with donaldsc in October.:D But no joint excursions planned!

I've yet to have a private group not get along, be where they're supposed to be at the appointed time or be stiffed at the end. Just lucky, I guess. We did a ship's tour in Mallorca years ago where one couple decided that they could shop for an extra 30 minutes at every stop, which cut our wine tasting short. A few of us finally booed them as they got on the bus after the third delay and she opined that we were very rude.:rolleyes:

My thought is that, if I organize a tour and invite people to join me, they get what I planned (and I'll tell them what it is). If I join a planned tour, then I go along with what the organizer has planned. Absent a medical or other compelling emergency, of course (haven't had that happen, either, luckily).

Did you have this planned with this couple pre-cruise (or prior to the day) with clear itinerary, or did you just find them in a taxi line and decide to join together on the spot to go to a particular place and they just changed their mind once in the taxi?

If you planned a specific itinerary and they just changed it once in the vehicle, I can't blame you for leaving. For some people these ports are very important and they have been thinking of visiting a specific museum or national park for months.

If it was us, as soon they started yelling and telling people at another port to stay away from us, we would have been "we agreed to go to x and once in the taxi these people decided to go somewhere completely different. They are the cheap ones who want us to pay for half of their tour...that we were not on and went to places we never agreed to go.."

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We met them during embarkation waiting to board the ship an planned it out the following day while at sea. Roughly 15hrs before we stepped foot off the ship an got in the taxi with them. We explained to those around us who asked but were not in the mood to get the entire line involved. BTW after that 2nd port stop another couple came up to us an said they did the same thing to them.

We're cruising with donaldsc in October.:D But no joint excursions planned!

I've yet to have a private group not get along, be where they're supposed to be at the appointed time or be stiffed at the end. Just lucky, I guess. We did a ship's tour in Mallorca years ago where one couple decided that they could shop for an extra 30 minutes at every stop, which cut our wine tasting short. A few of us finally booed them as they got on the bus after the third delay and she opined that we were very rude.:rolleyes:

My thought is that, if I organize a tour and invite people to join me, they get what I planned (and I'll tell them what it is). If I join a planned tour, then I go along with what the organizer has planned. Absent a medical or other compelling emergency, of course (haven't had that happen, either, luckily).

I am sure that we will all get along. All my communications and gut feelings about the people who are touring with me are very positive. I should add that I have done a lot of tour organizing and (knock wood) I have never encountered the problems that people on this thread have described.

I guess that I have either been lucky or most people who do private tours are pretty good or both.

I am now trying to organize tours for our February / March New Zealand trip.

DON

Was this in 2014 on Silhouette? We saw a couple just like this at Hurculaneum when we visited on our own. Very relieved not to be on that tour...:cool:

Fall 2013, but I seem to recall you were on that cruise, too! You gave me a helping hand climbing up or down the steps to the fort in Montenegro. Andrew?

barb

Fall 2013, but I seem to recall you were on that cruise, too! You gave me a helping hand climbing up or down the steps to the fort in Montenegro. Andrew?

barb

That would be me...the years/cruises all blend in after a while.

That was a great one, though. We want to go back to Croatia! Although a land trip to Italy is on the schedule for next year, so it'll have to wait.

Nice to "bump into you" Barb.

Andrew

I will never do a private tour arranged by Celebrity or with a couple who crash roll calls to get you to do their so called wonderful tours that no one else does. I know better. My DH and I have thoroughly enjoyed all the tours we have done by ourselves and most with a small group. Yes, going alone is expensive, but for Russia it was unbelievable and so worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

We usually do private excursions and things went well.

On our last smaller ship cruise we took one of the ship's tours. We had to wait approximately 20 - 30 minutes in a bus for one of the couples to show up. They finally got there and didn't even mildly apologize as they entered the bus for holding everyone up.

This same couple made us wait at every stop by being late and again, not a word of apology.

Amazing.

Recurring theme here: lateness! Loved our tour guide in Hawaii. Started the tour by explaining we had a lot of sights to see and if you are late returning, WE WILL NOT WAIT FOR YOU! Synchronized watches and gave everyone the number of a local taxi company. One couple tested the waters at the first stop. We did not wait and they had to taxi back to the ship. No issues after that.

One point is to stay clear of the DH and DW who promote themselves very highly. They usually do TA’s , and say there are only going to be a smaller number of people and then increase it. DW is usually late to the meeting place. Make sure you do not sit in her seat, as she will actually yell and tell you to go to the back of the bus! Just do your homework!!! I made the stupid mistake and learned my lesson. Oh, and if you book at least one, the couple will offer to guide you for free...

Recurring theme here: lateness! Loved our tour guide in Hawaii. Started the tour by explaining we had a lot of sights to see and if you are late returning, WE WILL NOT WAIT FOR YOU! Synchronized watches and gave everyone the number of a local taxi company. One couple tested the waters at the first stop. We did not wait and they had to taxi back to the ship. No issues after that.

I love this guy! If we ever cruise to Hawaii, I'm coming back to find you and get his name!!

Most of our private excursions have been in Europe and fortunately we've avoided the problem with lateness but I consider it to be really rude - not just on excursions but in life in general.

Interesting read through this thread. We have had some great private tours with no problems or issues. All but one was booked by us after extensive research. I usually go through the Port boards looking back quite a ways for the names of reputable companies. I do not use Trip Advisor at all as I do not have a real trust for them. We limit our group to 6-8. The tour has been confirmed by us through a number of emails with the tour company. I described the tour we have booked on our Roll Call and have interested parties write to me privately on a separate email that I use for CC only. This way I know exactly who we have and want a firm commitment from them. I want their email and stateroom numbers so we know how to reach them. I make contact on board and have a brief face to face meeting so I know who we are looking for. I also assemble our group on board and get off as a group. I have never had any problems with anyone being late. Everyone is prepared to pay their own share in cash plus tip.

We never leave anything to chance by having prospective members just sign up with the tour company. We feel it’s very important to have complete control over who is part of our group. The group also stays together. We are not interested in shopping time so we make that known in the description. Not everyone who sees our description are active Roll Call posters which is ok as long as we know how to reach them. We know we are strict but laying the groundwork ahead of time has made our tours successful and fun and we have met some really nice fun folks. We will also join a very small group on occasion but only one organized from active Roll Call participants.

We think private tours are great if organized well with the same travel philosophy. We literally go nuts on a bus just waiting for all the time it takes for bathroom stops and those late not to mention following a sign around. Of course there is an element of risk involved and for those constantly worried about being back at the ship in time this may not be the way to go for them. We carefully select reputable companies whose success relies on getting their passengers back in time. Their livelihood depends on their success. Cruise Critic members alone would not hesitate to rant on them and rake them over the coals!

Mary

Edited by mauimary