Preference on Table size for fixed dining MDR...? Your thoughts.

Celiac Cruiser

I usually cruise together with friends but this topic is timely for me as well since our New Zealand cruise will just be just the 2 of us. Nothing wrong with that. Does Solstice have many 2 tops in the MDR?

We were on the Solstice in February in NZ. They have a lot of 2 tops in the MDR, some are close together (usually the ones by the windows), and some are not too close. We enjoy eating alone and always walked right in and a table was available, we never had to wait, and we never had reservations. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Plenty of two tops in the MDR, and like was said, some had more privacy than others. One day my wife and I went to lunch in the MDR on our own and we were seated at a two top squeezed in between a two top that was next to the window, and a four top (could have been two two tops pushed together). It wasn't six inches apart but it was close enough that we could have participated in the conversations of either table.

One table was a couple from Mexico that spoke in Spanish. Except for when their butler/concierge came by. The woman handed him three bags from Tiffany and asked him to take the bags to her room. My wife enjoyed brushing up on her Spanish. The four top was two couples who were onboard for a veterinary conference and the entire conversation was about comparing practices.

My wife and I had our own conversation with each other regardless, it didn't bother us!

There are some two tops that have more privacy, particularly, there are some that are by themselves next to a big pole or support column. On the other side of the column is a two top, and then another two top fairly close to that two top. You could try asking the hostess to be seated at one of these.

EatonDoolittle

I hope you never succumb to a food intolerance, as you are obviously like my husband, thinking that those who are questioning are 'fussy.'

On a recent flight we were told that someone on board had a peanut allergy, so no peanuts would be served on that flight. We were also asked not to eat any if we had bought them at the airport.

For my part, I follow my Dairy Free regime, so that I do not offend other diners. Dairy upsets me rapidly. I order the night before.

Delta? My son has a peanut allergy, and we flew Delta for this most recent cruise. I was pleasantly surprised when they made this announcement. Whether other passengers actually comply or not, I'm not so sure. My wife and kids were in a row of three seats. I was in the aisle seat on the opposite side of the aisle.

I find that with allergies, some people are very understanding, while others just have the "sucks to be them, they should just die" attitude. The woman next to the window in my row was eating some kind of nutty looking granola bar. She must not have noticed or heard the flight attendant coming by and confirming the peanut allergy to my wife earlier. Because when the announcement came on, the woman muttered something like, "they should just live in a bubble". Her husband shushed her. Then I not-so-softly said to my wife, "oh, that's so nice of them to do that for our son, I appreciate the fact that Delta is so understanding". Not much that can be done about people like that woman.

We prefer a table for two for dinner. We visit with people during the day, but prefer our evenings to be ours. We usually feel- out the couple next to us ( if very close by). We say hello the first night and then see what happens. I don't want to be "obliged" to visit with them..then why not book a larger table? But usually by three nights we find out a little info about them, just out of politeness. Only two or three times did we really find the couple had lots in common to talk about for 10 or more nights on our yearly two week itinerary. We still want to talk just between our selves. And of course there are nights we aren't there, as we find the other couple takes breaks too.

Choice is yours. We had a couple experiences years ago when there was a person or two that wanted to take over the conversation with "me" stories at the larger table every night. Got real tiring..REAL fast. UGH

It has been a useful dialogue. Thanks to those who contributed. Almost all of my cruises have been with a group of friends so I never gave this issue much thought. Since our cruise is 12 days, I would hate to be stuck with the bore or the egotistical or the insensitive so ...thank you for helping me to decide on the 2 top. I am looking forward to a happy cruise 'down under.'

We are traveling alone this November; however, we've requested a table for 6 in traditional dining at 6pm. I've posted on our roll call to see if anyone would like to join us. We've done this with all of our previous cruises & have had great conversations, lasting friendships & only one that wasn't such a good fit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are traveling alone this November; however, we've requested a table for 6 in traditional dining at 6pm. I've posted on our roll call to see if anyone would like to join us. We've done this with all of our previous cruises & have had great conversations, lasting friendships & only one that wasn't such a good fit.

To request a table for 6 was my first instinct since I have met such nice folks on past cruises. But the nasty response by EatonDoolittle to the OP about the fact that there might be special dietary requests made me rethink that. I am not so worried about someone needing a special diet but rather the eye rolls and the insensitivity of others at the same table. I had forgotten that not everyone who cruises is nice.

To request a table for 6 was my first instinct since I have met such nice folks on past cruises. But the nasty response by EatonDoolittle to the OP about the fact that there might be special dietary requests made me rethink that. I am not so worried about someone needing a special diet but rather the eye rolls and the insensitivity of others at the same table. I had forgotten that not everyone who cruises is nice.

Delta? My son has a peanut allergy, and we flew Delta for this most recent cruise. I was pleasantly surprised when they made this announcement. Whether other passengers actually comply or not, I'm not so sure. My wife and kids were in a row of three seats. I was in the aisle seat on the opposite side of the aisle.

I find that with allergies, some people are very understanding, while others just have the "sucks to be them, they should just die" attitude. The woman next to the window in my row was eating some kind of nutty looking granola bar. She must not have noticed or heard the flight attendant coming by and confirming the peanut allergy to my wife earlier. Because when the announcement came on, the woman muttered something like, "they should just live in a bubble". Her husband shushed her. Then I not-so-softly said to my wife, "oh, that's so nice of them to do that for our son, I appreciate the fact that Delta is so understanding". Not much that can be done about people like that woman.

I guess I am confused about this peanut allergy and the airline then not serving peanuts to anyone. Whenever I fly, if any food is given out at all, it is usually in small sealed bags. I fail to understand how any passenger with peanut allergies would be impacted if each passenger is given their own sealed bag containing peanuts?

it is just the 2 of us traveling but it is nice to socialize at dinner. We have asked for early dining but not sure what table size to select. What have been your experiences?

We used to request round table for 8. It was a great time in our experience when MDR was the main dining area except for one Speciality Dining alternative other than Buffet. The cruise line also treated it as an daily evening event.

Fast forward and now with lots of alternative eating spots promoted by cruise lines, it is hard to have a table of 8 unless you know everyone show is going to show up each night. We have had a round table of 8 and only 4 of us there at least 3 of the 7 nights.

In full disclosure, we also now try to eat at the Speciality restaurants and do not book fixed dining anymore.

When we did, we would let others at our table including wait staff know that we would not be there the next evening, but we too have made 'spot' decisions and not gone to MDR to let them know.

If I were booking fixed dining today, I would book table for 2 or if we wanted to take a chance, a table for 4 unless there were more in our party to begin with.

I am not sure cruise lines planned it, but they are are taking advantage of ability to charge for and the popularity of alternative dining and thus with money/profit involved, I think fixed dining will actually go away at some point soon.

I guess I am confused about this peanut allergy and the airline then not serving peanuts to anyone. Whenever I fly, if any food is given out at all, it is usually in small sealed bags. I fail to understand how any passenger with peanut allergies would be impacted if each passenger is given their own sealed bag containing peanuts?
OK. Would the passengers who are given these sealed bags actually open the bags and consume the peanuts while on the plane? Or are you suggesting that passengers would refrain from doing so and wait until deplaning before opening the bags? I think not. If the bags are given out, they are going to be opened.

As to how others eating peanuts would impact a peanut allergic passenger... passenger in the row in front or behind throws the peanuts. Drops them on the floor. Sneezes and pieces of peanut are expelled into the air. Eats peanuts, has peanut dust on hands, and goes to open the bathroom door. Some people are more allergic than others. Some can't even breathe peanut dust. Thankfully my son isn't allergic to that point, but his allergy is still severe.

Of course, the same thing can happen anywhere. But the issue with airplanes is that they are small confined spaces, everyone is breathing recycled air, and there is really nowhere to go. If I take my kid to the park and I see people eating peanuts, we just move away and go elsewhere. Can't really do that on a plane.

And it's not just the airline not serving food... the airline is asking people to refrain from eating peanuts. Some people bring bags of peanuts onto a plane, peanut granola bars, candy bars, etc. The airline is asking people to be courteous to those with allergies and refrain from eating them while on the plane.

In NJ a young man ate a granola bar with peanuts. Then later in the day he kissed his girlfriend who was allergic. Within a few minutes she passed away, before anyone could get her any help.

Schools in my area no longer serve anything with peanuts or allow any peanut related products in their vending machines.

Most food allergies are not life threatening, however some are. You have no way of knowing, so do not poo-poo any concerns about allergies.

Celebrity handles these concerns very well. That is not to say that some annoying people with no consideration don't have allergies and then make themselves a nuisance with regard to their allergy.

We like a table for 4 or 6. We enjoy meeting the others. 6 is nice because sometimes folks will go to a speciality restaurant so you are left with company. 8 is hard to have a conversation with the whole table.

We were once on a cruise where we had a table for 2 and really were enjoying our time together. However..... the table of 8 next to us took a particular interest in us which was sometimes uncomfortable. We missed a dinner to go to the speciality restaurant, it was "where were you". Sometimes they would try to engage us in their conversation "what do you think?". It's to each his own but I do find folks who lean over from the next table and join the conversation annoying......

Your answer should depend on your personality. If you are more sociable, ask for the largest table possible. If you tend to be introverted, stick with a smaller table. If you enjoy a relaxing meal, get a large table. If the thought of sitting at a dinner table for more than 60 minutes drives you crazy, get a smaller table.

Personally, I've always gone with a large table for a few reasons. First, the more people at the table, the more likely you'll find people you "click" with. I've been fortunate in that many tables were great all the way around. In a few cases, there have been some oddballs that were just uncomfortable to be around. The more the people there are, the better your odds of enjoying your time. Second, with the increase of specialty restaurants, the more likely there will be nights where people aren't at the table, and it's nice to still have people when you'd like company.

We like a 6 or 8 top. Overall we've met some great people on cruises. We have had a few doozies at our table over the years but not enough to make us want to eat by ourselves yet. But of course those folks are the ones that provide all those great stories to tell to our next dinner companions;). Damn, I wonder how many are telling stories about me....:')

I, too, would like to know how you request table size.

This has been a very interesting thread. We actually started cruising 30 years ago because of allergies/asthma. Where else could you travel and have a doctor/clinic downstairs? Epinephrine and IV's and inject-able steroids at hand. We had some close calls and had good medical care on our first or second cruise, sometimes it's not an obvious trigger.

Listening to the introverts/extroverts, allergy vs put them in a bubble. Yes, too bad some of have poor genetics. I often forget that we humans have a wide range of tolerance and being likable ourselves. Haha, forgetting not all cruisers are nice. I tend to forget that too!

30 years ago, there was no concern by the masses for individuals with allergies or asthma (smoking). However, I do agree that the pendulum has swung too far the opposite way about individual rights vs the group..HAHA gluten free pepper... Pretzels instead of peanuts is ok but I guess if you have a real fear you could wear a mask like a cancer patient. I've worn a mask on public transit but that was to prevent getting TB in a foreign country. That being said, I like the idea of ordering the night before. Very responsible. Kudos to who said that! And kudos to the person who liked unpleasant table-mates because they make a good story. Just be glad your next door cabin aren't fighting all night long....

I, too, would like to know how you request table size.

This has been a very interesting thread. We actually started cruising 30 years ago because of allergies/asthma. Where else could you travel and have a doctor/clinic downstairs? Epinephrine and IV's and inject-able steroids at hand. We had some close calls and had good medical care on our first or second cruise, sometimes it's not an obvious trigger.

Listening to the introverts/extroverts, allergy vs put them in a bubble. Yes, too bad some of have poor genetics. I often forget that we humans have a wide range of tolerance and being likable ourselves. Haha, forgetting not all cruisers are nice. I tend to forget that too!

30 years ago, there was no concern by the masses for individuals with allergies or asthma (smoking). However, I do agree that the pendulum has swung too far the opposite way about individual rights vs the group..HAHA gluten free pepper... Pretzels instead of peanuts is ok but I guess if you have a real fear you could wear a mask like a cancer patient. I've worn a mask on public transit but that was to prevent getting TB in a foreign country. That being said, I like the idea of ordering the night before. Very responsible. Kudos to who said that! And kudos to the person who liked unpleasant table-mates because they make a good story. Just be glad your next door cabin aren't fighting all night long....

When my TA processed by reservation, I was asked what size table do I request (no guarantees). That is when I started thinking about a cozy table for 2 or a fun table table for 6?

(And those who want no socializing at dinner, I say get Room Service)

If I'm traveling with just one other person I ask for a large table, 8-10. I have all week to talk to my travel companion, it's nice to visit with others throughout the cruise. Sometimes we eat at other locations by ourselves but it's nice to have a variety of different people to chat with for a couple of hours a few times during the cruise. The more the merrier!

Plus, people bring their own food on airlines all of the time. We have brought bags of walnuts (not peanuts).

When my TA processed by reservation, I was asked what size table do I request (no guarantees). That is when I started thinking about a cozy table for 2 or a fun table table for 6?

(And those who want no socializing at dinner, I say get Room Service)

Why would we get room service? There are many of us that prefer a nice quite dinner with our spouse/partner...just like going to a restaurant at home. Do you ask the hostess to sit you with strangers at your hometown restaurant? No, of course not. There is no difference. We socialize all day long and prefer having dinner alone. Don't understand why we would have to be cooped up in our cabin with room service just because we wanted to enjoy each others company for a couple of hours. Your statement makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Sorry in advance for what some may consider stupid question, but how does one go about requesting table size? We are traveling as a family and would like a 4 top, as teens more likely to join us in MDR if not seated with "strangers"...

If you have booked through a TA ask them to put in a request for you if not contact X to request.

On boarding your dining table number will be on a card in your room. Go down to the dining room and find your table and check you are happy with it. If not the M'D will be at the entrance to the restaurant (probably with a queue of guests). Ask him to arrange a swap for you...He may not be able to do it for first night but hopefully will manage it for second.

Do not assume your request will have gone through and have been honoured. We have had a few anomalies over the years but the M'D has always sorted....