Cost of miniature painting given as a prize/gift

drsel

What does the certificate say? It could say that what you've received is an "authentic" print. Based on Par West's reputation, and the fact that most of their stuff is prints, I wouldn't be surprised, and that it's basically worthless.

What about the Certificate of Authenticity that comes with it?

As chengkp75 indicates it would depend on what it says. And the rest of his comments are valid and more than likely it is not of any real value. If it is given as a "gift" or a "prize" what type of value would you expect?

I have received several of the prints over the last couple of years. Some

are nice and can put in a frame from Walmart etc to add color to a room. They are used as an enticement to get you to the auctions. I do not see them have any value in them aside from your enjoyment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'll be blunt--where can I sell it and for how much?

Answer: garage sale; 50 cents. It really isn't worth anything at all; they mass produce (think colour photocopy) them and give them away, that should tell you something.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

They are not "paintings". They are prints, produced by the thousands. We have bought very inexpensive (probably around $5.00 a piece) frames for a few and used them in our home in addition to our "real art".

While there are plenty of suckers out there that would probably pay you just about any amount for one, in reality they cannot be worth more than a $1.00 considering the number of them they go through.

Certainly the print with accompanying "certificate of authenticity" can be valued by weighing it against what the recipient gave in exchange for it: the value of his time spent listening to the spiel. If someone just spent twelve seconds (all it would take a reasonably intelligent person to pick it up and leave) applying, say, a minimum wage rate of $15 per hour would give it a value of five cents.

On the other hand, if someone were gullible enough to spend a full hour, his time clearly cannot be worth much more than five cents per hour --- arriving at the same value for the print.