Food Allergies - Crown Princess

aaklang

Has anyone sailed on Princess lately with food allergies? We will be on the Crown Princess and my son is allergic to dairy and peanuts. He has sailed on Disney and Celebrity, and both handled his allergies wonderfully. How does Princess handle allergies? Can they make special desserts for a kid who can't have dairy but loves sweets? Do they offer any dairy-free ice cream/frozen yogurt? Can they accommodate allergies in the buffets or only in the main dining rooms?

Thanks!

Has anyone sailed on Princess lately with food allergies? We will be on the Crown Princess and my son is allergic to dairy and peanuts. He has sailed on Disney and Celebrity, and both handled his allergies wonderfully. How does Princess handle allergies? Probably, the same, if not better. They are excellent with allergies.

Can they make special desserts for a kid who can't have dairy but loves sweets? Maybe, never hurts to ask.

Do they offer any dairy-free ice cream/frozen yogurt? Sherbet is available every night in the MDRs. They're excellent.

Can they accommodate allergies in the buffets or only in the main dining rooms? Yes, but you'll do better in the Traditional MDR for dinner. If you go to the buffet, ask to speak to the chef about allergy issues, he'll point out safe options or cook something special.

If you opt for Anytime Dining instead of Traditional, you'll have to explain your needs every night, since the wait staff will be different unless you sit in the same section every night. That can be arranged by doing a reservation. If you make a reservation, you've turned ATD into TD. If you want to go that route, speak to the Maitre D'.

I had a dining partner a few years ago that was gluten sensitive. Luckily we had TD so every night at the end of the meal someone would come out to discuss her meal for the next night to fit in her allergies. She never had a problem and the staff bent over backwards to accommodate her. I have overheard discussions in the HC with pax and a chef discussing food allergies. So just ask in the MDR or HC and they will meet your DS allergies.

Has anyone sailed on Princess lately with food allergies? We will be on the Crown Princess and my son is allergic to dairy and peanuts. He has sailed on Disney and Celebrity, and both handled his allergies wonderfully. How does Princess handle allergies? Can they make special desserts for a kid who can't have dairy but loves sweets? Do they offer any dairy-free ice cream/frozen yogurt? Can they accommodate allergies in the buffets or only in the main dining rooms?

Thanks!

You are booked on the Crown.........have you let Princess know or asked them as well?

They deal with these type of food issues all the time and they are very good at it.

Thanks!

Adding a little more info - we selected Traditional Dining, so we should have the same wait staff every night. I have not contacted Princess about it yet, but do plan to do so. We just booked a couple of days ago and I'm still trying to figure everything out. Thanks to those that replied so far!

I had a dining partner a few years ago that was gluten sensitive. Luckily we had TD so every night at the end of the meal someone would come out to discuss her meal for the next night to fit in her allergies. She never had a problem and the staff bent over backwards to accommodate her. I have overheard discussions in the HC with pax and a chef discussing food allergies. So just ask in the MDR or HC and they will meet your DS allergies.

We had the same in ATD until we changed to TD. They can handle allergies in both types of dining. The chief even made surprise GF deserts for my wife , who is GF.

We always use AT dining and I have food allergies. There will be a card in your cabin telling you to ask for the head waiter on the first night. He will go over the menu with you - you will see the next day menus and if you want something and it can be adapted for you he will take care of it. As we are not with the same wait staff each night, I always tell the waiter I have a special order and which head waiter looks after it.

If you are going to eat any meals in the buffet, ask one of the staff there to get the head waiter there for you. He will assist in what foods are safe for your child.

Have a great cruise.

Dh has severe tree nut (including coconut) allergy. The MDR staff handles these issues wonderfully. Even if you choose to eat at a Specialty Dining venue, if you let your HW know the night before he will speak with the staff at the other venue in advance of your visit. Just be aware that in the buffet you will find other passengers tend to take serving utensils from one dish and put them in another dish (especially in the dessert area) thus causing cross contamination. I think they just don't understand what problems this can cause.

• 1 month later...

My DW has seafood allergies. We have sailed on a number of Princess ships (Most recently the Regal in October) the last several years.

We have always notified Princess of her allergies several months in advance of the cruise.

The MDR staff always noted this and presented DW with the menu for the following night for her to choose. This way, the chef can take the appropriate precautions, in advance. Excellent service.

When we ate at Alfredo's or the buffet, we simply told the chef and he would make something special for her.

Our experience has always been great service and attention to details.

DW has very unusual food allergies. Some comments follow her onto the ship but for dinner she will always order food for the next night via the asst MD. Generally speaking they do very well and very accomodating but for some reason on our last cruise on Crown asst MD said no to most of her requests and they were very simple ones.

For breakfast and lunch speak to someone on horizon.

DH's food restrictions were not handled very well on the Caribbean Princess this past August. I think the problem was that the first night, when the head waiter brought the menu for the following night, there were enough things he liked that did not need modifying that he did not have to order ahead of time. The header waiter became lax after that, not bringing the next night's menu. We did not press the issue because DH could usually find something he wanted to eat. One night, though, our waiter was able to get him a special order of something without the pumpkin seeds it normally came with without ordering it in advance. We'll see if they do better on the Royal in December.

I have never had a problem on any of the Princes ships - including the Crown and the Caribbean. This even extended to the ultimate ship tour - without me having to ask they made special items for the food served on the bridge with the captain. On our last cruse the chef came out of the kitchen to get more information on one of my allergies and if a substitute would be ok. I have never been treated so well. For me, eating out is always a stressful time, but on the ship for the first time in my life I actually enjoyed eating out.

I had an awful experience on my first Princess cruise in January. The head waiter refused to come talk to me, the waiter at my table was visibly upset and not sure what to do. I gave him my order, but the next night, and every night after, it was not prepared and I had to wait an extra 45 mins (and be scolded for not giving advance notice, even though I placed my order the night before). Yes, I had Anytime Dining, selected before my health issues required a special diet. That shouldn't have mattered -- as I did everything I had been told to do. I assume, because Club Class had just been rolled out, that that was why the HW wouldn't come over. Not acceptable, but I worked around it. Breakfast in the MDR, the waiter declined to make substitutions to accommodate my diet. We ended up eating the remainder of our breakfasts and lunches in the buffet, unfortunately. Hopefully this next cruise is better.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always used anytime dinning - you do not need to signup for traditional dinning if you have food issues. The only place they will not make accommodations is the buffet - but they will point out what you can and can not eat. You do have to let Princess know of your issues before you board the ship (48 hours if I remember correctly). A waiter told me they had problems in the past with people saying they had food issues to receive what they saw as an increased service level.

• 5 months later...

I am sailing on the Crown Princess next weekend. I prefer to eat gluten-free and dairy-free. Do I need to notify Princess in advance and if so, how do I do it? Do they usually have soy milk or soy creamer available for coffee? Thanks! Lowell Ann

Notify your MDR server that you have allergies. The assistant headwaiter will come over and discuss what can be made for your allergies.

He'll probably bring you the menus for lunch and dinner the next day. Before you leave he'll take your order for both.

I would suggest eating all three meals in the MDR if you can. The kitchen has better control for allergies. I know my DW is gluten sensitive . We both order low salt as well.

If in the Horizon Court, talk to one of the chief with tall hats. Servers aren't familiar with whats in the food.

Princess has been great for me as a celiac (gluten-free required). I have signed up ahead of time and have had anytime dining. One thing I would recommend is getting the name of the head waiter who takes your order the night before for the next day. With ATD we were not always in the same dining room, and this was extremely helpful to the staff. As others have said, a chef advised me what to eat in HC. They do have gluten-free bread, with a separate toaster; I also ordered GF toast with room service breakfast with no problem.

I am sailing on the Crown Princess next weekend. I prefer to eat gluten-free and dairy-free. Do I need to notify Princess in advance and if so, how do I do it? Do they usually have soy milk or soy creamer available for coffee? Thanks! Lowell Ann

You can notify them in the personalizer. Unfortunately it's a drop-down selection which doesn't allow more than one choice. DW is recently diagnosed gluten intolerant as well as having lactose issues. We selected gluten-free for her and will notify the HW of both issues when we board in three weeks.

Does anyone have experience with allergies and celebration cakes? My son is turning 6 on our cruise and has peanut/tree nut allergies. Tried to get answer from special diets but they couldn’t tell me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums