Ports AFTER a major Hurricane

topspin1267

Such a shame as the island is so wonderful!!!

Of course that doesn't change my opinion of the photo

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're not seeing the same things but it doesn't matter. The damage from many sources is irrefutable. A flyover by a Dutch helicopter is probably the most comprehensive I've seen. It'll take years for them to recover.

Have a good one.

No doubt st Martin is destroyed which is tragic in many ways so don't get what I am going to say wrong.....as I love st Martin having been there 3x since 2015 on a cruise and getting to know some shopkeepers etc ....all lovely people ...

But ...imho...the above photo is photoshopped

The top part and the bottom part are not the same

It looks like the bottom part is real but the top part is from a painting or map or something depicting 18th century st Martin.....and does not look in place

Sorry but that's how I see it. Ymmv

Do your research, that is not photo shopped. In fact it minimizes the damage that was done.

Some people just don't grasp the utter destruction that 185 mph winds to when they hit things.

HI All,

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea whatsoever with my post. I am completely heartbroken looking at the devastation this storm has caused and will cause. What I am thinking, though, and I guess more so questioning is why a company with a ship full of thousands of travelers who paid, in some cases, money that they saved a very long time for a vacation would pull their ship into a port simply because the port is "ready" for cruise ships and not take into account that the entire rest of the island is destroyed. I guess I am curious as to what the passengers who had planned their excursions that they cannot now take do the whole day in port. I read someone who said they toured the devastation and another who indicated they picked up debris and trash all day. I think it would be a wonderful idea for Carnival to dedicate a ship to ferry around 3,000 volunteers from island to island assisting with cleanup!! I bet they could fill that ship for months as many many people want to help. My feeling, though, is that when a lot of people go on a cruise they do so to relax, unwind, enjoy excursions, etc., not to tour devastation and clean up debris. I was just wondering what the corporate line of thought was in the way of passenger experiences following catastrophes like this.

What I am thinking, though, and I guess more so questioning is why a company with a ship full of thousands of travelers who paid, in some cases, money that they saved a very long time for a vacation would pull their ship into a port simply because the port is "ready" for cruise ships and not take into account that the entire rest of the island is destroyed.
Turn it around: So let's say that they instead substitute a Sea Day. Will that make all the passengers happier? It surely won't make the folks who live on the island happier, so if doesn't make all the passengers happier, why do it?

I guess I am curious as to what the passengers who had planned their excursions that they cannot now take do the whole day in port.
I'm sure the island hopes that they'll shop, pay for cab rides to the few beaches that are usable, purchase drinks where there are operating bars along the beach, etc. In other words, they're hoping that these people will enjoy their vacation regardless, taking advantage of the best that the island is capable of offering at that specific moment in time.

Turn it around: So let's say that they instead substitute a Sea Day. Will that make all the passengers happier? It surely won't make the folks who live on the island happier, so if doesn't make all the passengers happier, why do it?

I'm sure the island hopes that they'll shop, pay for cab rides to the few beaches that are usable, purchase drinks where there are operating bars along the beach, etc. In other words, they're hoping that these people will enjoy their vacation regardless, taking advantage of the best that the island is capable of offering at that specific moment in time.

My wife and I will be adjusting the budget for our March cruise to San Juan, St Thomas and St Maarten to allow for more on-shore spending to do our little bit to help the local economy. I imagine San Juan and St Thomas will still be on the itinerary. I pray St Maarten will be.

I guess maybe we are envisioning different levels of island operation. If beaches are open, bars are open, some shops and restaurants have been able to get back in operation, then yes, I agree with you 100% I guess I am thinking about the scenario where the port is open but pretty much everything else is still picking up pieces and getting things together. On the other note, no one will ever make ALL PASSENGERS happy, period, however; if an island is simply "able" to accept a cruise ship but pretty much everything else is still in recovery and re-build mode, as in not open for business anyway, I do believe the majority of cruise customers would prefer an added sea day to the alternative of a non-functional island. As I said before, my heart goes out to all the victims of this disaster, but if we end up in a port that is nothing but rubble still I would rather them pass around a giant bucket for donations, as I would be the first to give, than take me on a tour of destruction.

I guess maybe we are envisioning different levels of island operation. If beaches are open, bars are open, some shops and restaurants have been able to get back in operation, then yes, I agree with you 100% I guess I am thinking about the scenario where the port is open but pretty much everything else is still picking up pieces and getting things together.
The Men's Club at my church can repair a beach in a day or two. My spouse and I can set up an impromptu bar on the beach in an hour or so. The port will take a lot longer.

However, beyond that, keep in mind that the cruise line's responsibility is the ship and passenger safety. How passengers get to/from the port of embarkation/debarkation - that's the passengers' concern. What passengers do ashore - that's the passengers' concern. The cruise line offers suggestions and sometimes offers transfers and excursions, but if they can't they can't, and the fact has absolutely nothing to do with the cruise we're actually purchasing. I'm not making that up: The contract actual says that.

On the other note, no one will ever make ALL PASSENGERS happy, period, however; if an island is simply "able" to accept a cruise ship but pretty much everything else is still in recovery and re-build mode, as in not open for business anyway, I do believe the majority of cruise customers would prefer an added sea day to the alternative of a non-functional island.
I don't know if that's true, and I don't think you do either, but you know who does have a much better understanding of what the majority of passengers would prefer? The folks who have done loads of market research about it. ;)

As I said before, my heart goes out to all the victims of this disaster
As does mine.

I haven't seen any assessments of any of the islands that I consider definitive and reliable yet.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I agree, that said, John did post some video of the beach near the pier from St. Maarten, very very sad.

Very but I've seen photos of damaged facilities that looked like it would take a week or so to fix that took in reality a number of months. It really needs to be a careful and comprehensive assessment.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Very but I've seen photos of damaged facilities that looked like it would take a week or so to fix that took in reality a number of months. It really needs to be a careful and comprehensive assessment.

For sure, and we can hope for the best.

Does anyone have experience going to ports 60-90 days AFTER a major storm? We sail Dec 9 on an Eastern itinerary that includes most of the islands directly in Irmas path. TIA

I am also scheduled for a Dec.9 Caribbean cruise .My thinking is that the cruiselines will either cancel the cruise or offer a different itinerary .

I am also scheduled for a Dec.9 Caribbean cruise .My thinking is that the cruiselines will either cancel the cruise or offer a different itinerary .

Cruise lines will rarely cancel a cruise... that is a LOT of revenue on the line and they are getting hammered this season with the storms. Enjoy your vacation, the ports will be changed but that ship will sail!! They would cancel if the port you are departing from is closed due to weather.

I am in a similar position. Dec. 3 NCL Breakaway is supposed to visit 6 ports. My best guess at this point: San Juan, Antigua and St. Kitts appear to be okay. St. Thomas is hard to tell. Not a lot of detailed reports from there but I think a good chance. I am quite sure St. Maarten and Tortola will not be even close to ready for visitors for many months. I believe we will get one or two substitute ports.

Besides Puerto Rico, the economy of most of the islands is based upon tourism dollars and they will do everything possible to get up and running again as soon as they can. They are already losing money from cancelled cruises. I've seen posts suggesting the cruise companies stay away until there is time to rebuild. I doubt you'll hear that from the officials on these islands. Each and every ship brings much needed money that it will take to rebuild. It's not the first hurricane to hit these islands and won't be the last. One of the best ways to help is to take your Eastern Caribbean cruise and go ashore and spend money. Raise money onboard or before you leave home to donate to a worthy cause while there. But don't stay away thinking you're helping.

From Port Canaveral's web page.

Hurricane Irma Port Canaveral Update:

BCSO, Canaveral Fire Rescue has been on scene at Port making preliminary assessments; no major damage noted at this point. All vessels that remained in port are secure. We will begin assessing general harbor conditions soon to facilitate return to normal operations as soon as possible. Port remains closed until further notice.

www.portcanaveral.com/FYI

I'm suppose to go out of Tampa on Sept. 25th then on to Key West on the 27th, Havana, Cuba on the 28th and 29th, Carnival has not given me any update, but the current cruise on the Paradise has been given vouchers. I certainly don't want to go from Ohio to Florida and then have the cruise cancelled. I'm going by myself and it was $1,550 for 5 days. That is over $300 a day, a lot of money to have them change your ports

I will not be happy if they change my high dollar 5 day cruise to Cuba to something else, $1,550 for 5 days.

That's the risk that you take during Hurricane Season, and why lots of seasoned cruisers are fans of trip insurance. I'm sure you won't be happy but what do you expect them to do if Cuba can't handle cruise ships right now? IRMA changed your high dollar cruise, not anyone else, if the ports aren't able to accommodate cruise ships...

And I know the Keys is ASKING people to stay out. The mayor of Key West flat out said they can't afford another mouth to feed there right now. I understand that this is YOUR vacation, but these islands are home to thousands of people who have lost everything. :(