Anyone reschedualing or cancelling a Caribbean cruise this winter due to storm damage

CineGraphic

We cancelled a Nov 30 cruise today. We know the southern ports are ok but as other ports won't be, did not want to pay not knowing the schedule. Princess would not extend final payment date. I know they can't possibly have the new schedules yet, but you'd think they would have extended the date.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If your ports are the same as my Jan 13 Circle Caribbean, half of your ports will not be cruise-ready for you to spend any money in! For sure, no St. Thomas or St. Martin, probably no Grand Turk.

Grand Turk is wide open for business. Airport opened first of the week, dock is fine, beaches are under recovery, restaurants and bars are open, some resorts are open, several are shut (same ones that shut every year at this time for most of them)..

We're lucky that our Nov 30th southern itinerary has 4 untouched ports, with only St. Thomas and Princess Cay in question. Having been to St. Thomas many times, a replacement with St. Croix will be a big bonus for us. Like others have said, we love the cruising experience, so the ports are gravy.

I know this isn't a Princess ship, but it does show what is going on on St. Maarten which is a port for Princess.

FINAL UPDATE FOR SEPT 15 ST MAARTEN EVACUATION SAILING

Majesty of the Seas will call on the port in St. Maarten Friday, September 15 from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
We will board as many people onto the ship as we safely can. We will sail in the evening to San Juan, Puerto Rico, arriving early morning Saturday.

To get to the ship:
You should go to Carnival Festival Village on Pond Island, which will be used as a staging area. Shuttles will take you to the ship. There is no direct access to the port.

Latest guidance on getting to the port will be provided hourly on Laser 101. Online information can be found at

We're lucky that our Nov 30th southern itinerary has 4 untouched ports, with only St. Thomas and Princess Cay in question. Having been to St. Thomas many times, a replacement with St. Croix will be a big bonus for us. Like others have said, we love the cruising experience, so the ports are gravy.

For us St Croix isn't all that exciting but what the heck it's something do do. ;)

We haven't been there in over 20 years but I doubt it things have changed all that much.

btw-It's a tender port.

We cancelled a Nov 30 cruise today. We know the southern ports are ok but as other ports won't be, did not want to pay not knowing the schedule. Princess would not extend final payment date. I know they can't possibly have the new schedules yet, but you'd think they would have extended the date.

I find it interesting that people and you are not the only one who would think Princess would extend the final payment date.

Why should they extend the date?.......cruise itineraries are changed for many reasons all the time. One thing I think most cruisers have learned thru the years is cruising is consistently unpredictable.

You did the right thing in cancelling. Maybe you can pick up some better pricing on the other side.

I find it interesting that people and you are not the only one who would think Princess would extend the final payment date.

Why should they extend the date?.......cruise itineraries are changed for many reasons all the time. One thing I think most cruisers have learned thru the years is cruising is consistently unpredictable.

You did the right thing in cancelling. Maybe you can pick up some better pricing on the other side.

This is not just a change in a port or two. We all have been on cruises where itineraries have been changed in advance, or ports are missed. But this is a completely different situation. For some of these cruises, it will be a totally different cruise in a different part of the Caribbean. Not all ports are equal - they are not fungible. Some are better than others and you're generally paying more to go there. People, including myself, don't think Princess should be able to keep people's money without giving them an idea of where they'll be going.

I'd have thought they would extend the final payment date, since so many people and so many schedules are impacted. Given that it is a special situation, the final payment helps them plan to re-sell cabins in case people cancel. I may have not had cancelled, if I knew what cruise we'd actually been on. As some have said, others thought same as me. I've heard that other cruise lines extended some payment dates too. Each person has to make their own mind up. For us, it was not an essential get-away, so we cancelled.

I am aware. However, under the circumstances, many of us thought they'd make an exception. They can do that, you know.

Extending a final payment date gives them that much less time to sell empty cabins. They have stockholders they need to answer to.

I am aware. However, under the circumstances, many of us thought they'd make an exception. They can do that, you know.

I away told my friends when they talk about canceling there cruise or don't. If you don't go someone else will . Just my opinion the cruise line doesn't really care if you cancel or not.

Tony

Well - I'M NOT CHANGING ANYTHING.

OK our cruise is three months out, (20th December on Caribbean) so hopefully things will be approaching normal in some places, but probably not all and we are still planning to spend 5 days in Key West before the cruise, flying down and driving back north / east.

Despite our cruise being three months away, in addition to sharing everyone's concern for the welfare of those affected by Irma, we have been following events from this side of the pond to assess the extent to which our vacation might be affected. Certainly, I would not be surprised if St Thomas (which, because of the much discussed propulsion problems on CB) was already a replacement for St Martin / Sint Maarten) has to be changed. However, if that is necessary, our view is that is a minor problem compared with those faced by the local population and if it is safe to visit and our visit helps to get the local economy working, then I think we can live with a little inconvenience.

I am also wondering about Princess Cays and St Kitts, though I am not for one minute expecting our visit to St Kitts to be cancelled, just not sure whether we will be able to go over to Nevis.

In terms of our visit to Key West then I will base my decision solely on whether or not the hotel is open. In other words, if it open and welcoming tourists (did Key West ever not welcome tourists?) we are going even if it may be a little more 'rustic' and laid back than usual,

As part of monitoring the situation for our Key Wat visit, we are keeping an eye on hotel booking websites and at the moment they are showing availability from 24th September. So, whilst I do question this date, given all the information we are hearing is that the hotels have sustained minimal structural damage, I am expecting the tourist industry to be functioning, if not exactly back to normal, long before we arrive.

Slight concern about the risk of availability of my pre-booked, and pre-paid one way rental car from EYW (we are flying down and driving back), but that is simply thinking ahead about what might go wrong and is not something which is demanding my attention.

So, to repeat.

1. WE ARE STILL COMING,

2. WE ARE NOT MAKING ANY CHANGES TO OUR PLANS,

AND

3. WE WILL CHEERFULLY ACCEPT WHATEVER CHANGES ARE FORCED ON US BY CIRCUMSTANCES OUTSIDE ANYONE'S CONTROL.

PS. Around 25 years ago I landed in LA for a business meeting two days after an pretty bad earthquake and was surprised at the number of people, all of whom were trying to carry on as normal, were surprised we hadn't cancelled, but we're pleased we hadn't cancelled.

CM

Edited by Corfe Mixture
Grammar

For us St Croix isn't all that exciting but what the heck it's something do do. ;)

We haven't been there in over 20 years but I doubt it things have changed all that much.

btw-It's a tender port.

I guess it has changed a bit since you were there last. They have a dock now. :D

I'd have thought they would extend the final payment date, since so many people and so many schedules are impacted. Given that it is a special situation, the final payment helps them plan to re-sell cabins in case people cancel. I may have not had cancelled, if I knew what cruise we'd actually been on. As some have said, others thought same as me. I've heard that other cruise lines extended some payment dates too. Each person has to make their own mind up. For us, it was not an essential get-away, so we cancelled.

Cruises can change all the time. I went over Thanksgiving once and we changed from Eastern Caribbean to Western Caribbean due to a hurricane in the area. There have been other cruises that occurred after hurricane damage. We didn't know until the week before the cruise if some of the ports would be ready for passengers. It turned out they were not. Yes, we were disappointed but we all understood. I don't remember anyone asking for refunds or exceptions. Life happens, life goes on.

If you are concerned, book an insurance that covers cancels for any reasons. I don't know what more cruise lines can do.

There was never a thought to either cancel or reschedule our Oct. 7th portion of the B2B on the CB. We know Princess would not cancel this voyage unless there was a significant reason to do so due to safety. Changes in ports are certainly in their capability.

We looked at this voyage as a wait and see what the mystery itinerary would look like....well, we now know what is replacing St. Thomas is and that will be San Juan, PR. Good choice. Fits in well with the rest of logistics and certainly an economy that could use some influx of tourists. We are looking forward to going there.

Next up is what replaces St. Martin and other islands that will need time to recover. Lots of choices to replace these islands.

That's a big change. :eek:

Can they dock the larger Princess ships like Regal & Royal?:confused:

Might be a good idea to check out the port and see what ships are going there and how they are moored. Even if a larger ship like any of the Royal or Grand class ships had to tender, it is still a different port for many seasoned Princess cruisers and would be interesting.

That's a big change. :eek:

Can they dock the larger Princess ships like Regal & Royal?:confused:

Yes they can.

http://stthomassource.com/content/2017/09/15/hurricane-damage-to-other-islands-means-st-croix-getting-more-cruise-ships/

I guess it has changed a bit since you were there last. They have a dock now. :D

They had a very nice dock the last time I was there. 1966 on the US Glennon DD 814. It handled cruise ships of that era. We were asked to change our mooring in order for one to get into place.

my Nov 5th cruise has St Thomas on it. Just waiting to see what they'll change it to. Doesn't matter to me, as I've been there many times.

This cruise has 6 ports in a row, so even another sea day would work for me.

Just being on the ship is enough for me. I haven't cruised on the Royal yet, so looking forward to it.:D

I do not have any Caribbean cruises booked & received an email from Princess to a website they've created about itinerary changes. They will continue to update the information if things change but none have currently been modified.

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/caribbean_update/?cid=dm_email_info_internal_announcement_other_pe7ms130b_170915_hurricanerelief,notdirectlyaffected

Here's their current update & in addition to updates they have a FAQ section.

Updated as of 9/14/17, 8:45pm PDT

Princess Cruises can announce that none of its cruises to the Caribbean or Panama Canal will be cancelled as a result of Hurricane Irma. Furthermore, our private island resort at Princess Cays is ready to receive guests and all of our 7-day cruises to the Western Caribbean and all cruises to the Panama Canal are unaffected by Irma and will go ahead as planned at this time.

At Princess Cruises, we prioritize the safety and enjoyment of our guests and to that end, we are working with local ports in the Eastern Caribbean affected by the Hurricane to assess the situation and to determine if any itinerary changes are needed. Please check back on Monday, 9/18 for an update.