Celebrity travel sickness tablets

Missaims

On a cruise on the solstice a while back the seas were pretty rough when crossing the Tasman - to date it is the only time I have felt sea sick (as did most of the ship it seemed). Guest relations handed out packets of travel sickness tablets and I was amazed at how well and quickly they worked.

Why I didn't take down the name of the drug at the time I don't know - but does anyone have an idea if there is a particular brand that Celebrity normally use for this purpose? I would love to buy some for a future cruise??

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On a cruise on the solstice a while back the seas were pretty rough when crossing the Tasman - to date it is the only time I have felt sea sick (as did most of the ship it seemed). Guest relations handed out packets of travel sickness tablets and I was amazed at how well and quickly they worked.

Why I didn't take down the name of the drug at the time I don't know - but does anyone have an idea if there is a particular brand that Celebrity normally use for this purpose? I would love to buy some for a future cruise??

Thanks

The drug that Guest Relations provides is Meclizine Hcl. It is available in the US as Bonine. It used to be available in Canada as Bonamine, but is no longer avalable at all. Bonine is my go-to solution in rough weather. Works a charm. ;)

Brilliant - thank you! I'll look for it, or something with similar content over here in the uk [emoji3]

Meclazine is sold as Sealegs in the U.K. I have also used Stugeron which didn't have the same "drowsy" effect on me.

No need to buy any if you are cruising with Celebrity.

It is called meclizine, and is provided free of charge to all passengers upon request at Guest Relations, as well as at the ship's medical center.

Meclizine is the inexpensive, generic version of products sold at a higher price under brand names such as Dramamine (the All Day Less Drowsy version) or Antivert or Bonine.

Ginger is another inexpensive product that works well for many, and is another product sold commercially under the Dramamine brand.

Dramamine® Non-Drowsy Naturals contains ginger.

But the usual disclaimer applies here to seek advice about medical products from a doctor who knows your medical history, not from well-meaning strangers like us who post on an internet message board and do not know how the products we suggest may interact with other medications you take.

Absoloutley correct the ships Guest Relations do have complimentary travel sickness tablets if requested. However I think someone was just asking what people tend to take with them in case of emergency purposes regarding travel sickness. Members on here are only giving detail of what they use and suggest. I'm sure we are all adult enough to know we don't just take tablets with out reading or seeking advice first. If anyone like myself offered to pick up a travel sickness tablet in the US for someone who can't get them in the UK and want a particular brand it's down to that person if they accept or decline like I say we are all adults.

You definitely want to look for Meclizine in the active ingredients. Bonine and Dramamine Less Drowsy are brand names. We have found the key to start taking the product 24 hours before cruise starts. Also if you have never taken I suggest trying a test run well before the cruise to see if it causes you any side effects.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think I saw Bonine for sale in the little general shop onboard the Eclipse. I bought Bonine in the US even though both my husband and I are normally good sailors, I thought it would be good just in case.

However, on our last TA we had mighty rough seas and each took a Bonine. It worked because we were comatose for most of the day! Not sure which was worse the nausea or the sleeping/drowsiness!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think I saw Bonine for sale in the little general shop onboard the Eclipse. I bought Bonine in the US even though both my husband and I are normally good sailors, I thought it would be good just in case.

However, on our last TA we had mighty rough seas and each took a Bonine. It worked because we were comatose for most of the day! Not sure which was worse the nausea or the sleeping/drowsiness!

R u sure u didn't take Dramamine? Dramamine will definately make you sleepy. Some people report drowsy-ness with bonine but it's sold as 'non-drowsy'; it doesn't make me even a little bit drowsy, though feeling a little seasick and then having that wear of will put me out. May have been a combination of the two. Bonine shouldn't make you that drowsy

The patch is the best thing for me, as I get seasick looking at waves. Actually I do get seasick snorkeling in a current, so being on the patch for the duration of a cruise helps me avoid snorkeling seasickness, motion sickness on excursions, and anything at sea. Peace of mind on my vacation is priceless! Tested it for a week at home to make sure I had no side effects. It's about $80 for 10 days worth - and worth every penny.

R u sure u didn't take Dramamine? Dramamine will definately make you sleepy. Some people report drowsy-ness with bonine but it's sold as 'non-drowsy'; it doesn't make me even a little bit drowsy, though feeling a little seasick and then having that wear of will put me out. May have been a combination of the two. Bonine shouldn't make you that drowsy

No it was definitely Bonine. It's unavailable here in the U.K. and I know it's highly recommended on CC as one of the most effective anti nausea medications. So that's what I bought when I had the opportunity in the USA. We slept the whole day only waking periodically for the bathroom or water.

Seems to me the best course of action would be to consult a medical professional rather than what other cruisers take. You don't know what kind of reaction you might encounter by randomly taking what non-medical professions suggest.

I am a pharmacist, meclizine is relatively harmless and is an over the counter medicine in the US, meaning anyone can pick it up and purchase it. That said if you have any medical conditions or other medications you are on, just talk to the pharmacist wherever you are picking them up and they will be happy to help.

I was thinking the same thing. I stopped taking Dramamine cuz of the drowsiness and now swear by bonine since it is non drowsy

I was thinking the same thing. I stopped taking Dramamine cuz of the drowsiness and now swear by bonine since it is non drowsy

This is the actual packet- says on the front 'less drowsy than Dramamine'.....not much less apparently!a3bb2b583e4526f9d658c7d5a2f73639.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dramamine knocks me out and ginger doesn't work at all for me. I like the patch but need to bring that from home.

Dramamine also knocks me out. Great if I want to sleep but can't use otherwise. I have switched to Bonine and find it very effective.

Over the years I find that if I take Dramamine or Bonine a couple days ahead each night at bedtime and the day of departure it calms down my inner ear and I don't need anything for the remainder of the cruise.

I am a pharmacist, meclizine is relatively harmless and is an over the counter medicine in the US, meaning anyone can pick it up and purchase it. That said if you have any medical conditions or other medications you are on, just talk to the pharmacist wherever you are picking them up and they will be happy to help.

Since you are a Pharmacist, you are a medical professional, and I would listen to your advice.:)

The drug that Guest Relations provides is Meclizine Hcl. It is available in the US as Bonine. It used to be available in Canada as Bonamine, but is no longer avalable at all. Bonine is my go-to solution in rough weather. Works a charm. ;)

Also LESS DROWSY Dramamine is meclizine but you can also buy generic

MECLIZINE is the actual generic name for BONINE and can be purchased as MECLIZINE 25mg for about $13.00 per hundred tablets.

DRAMAMINE comes in two formulations:

#1. The original which is Diphenhydramine and usually causes drowsiness.

#2. The NEWER NON-DROWSY DRAMAMINE which is MECLIZINE the same exact drug and strength as in BONINE..

So whether you buy Bonine, Non-Drowsy Dramamine or Meclizine you will be getting the exact same drug.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

MECLIZINE is the actual generic name for BONINE and can be purchased as MECLIZINE 25mg for about $13.00 per hundred tablets.

DRAMAMINE comes in two formulations:

#1. The original which is Diphenhydramine and usually causes drowsiness.

#2. The NEWER NON-DROWSY DRAMAMINE which is MECLIZINE the same exact drug and strength as in BONINE..

So whether you buy Bonine, Non-Drowsy Dramamine or Meclizine you will be getting the exact same drug.

bosco

I think you meant dimenhydrinate. Diphenhydramine is benadryl.

I haven't been able to find anything that contains Meclizine in the UK for the last few years. It used to be available as Traveleeze. I always stock up on Bonine when we are in the US now as it seems to work best for me.

Julie