South America question ?

3JCruiser

leaving from Buenos Aires in Feb for the 30 day S. America, how easy (safe ) is it to get from the airport if we arrive a couple of days early ? or should we take the Princess transfer the day of check in as we have the next day in port before sailing ?

Thanks in advance for any advice

I will be flying into Buenos Aires later in the year so have researched transfers etc. I have been strongly advised not to go outside the airport and just get into a taxi, for safety reasons. I have booked a transfer to a hotel (through my travel agent). From memory, the transfer costs $70. It is a fairly long way. I will be in BA for two nights and staying in a hotel. They are not cheap. I will be sightseeing around BA and taking the usual precautions (money and valuable in a wallet under my clothes) and not carrying a bag that can be grabbed.

leaving from Buenos Aires in Feb for the 30 day S. America, how easy (safe ) is it to get from the airport if we arrive a couple of days early ? or should we take the Princess transfer the day of check in as we have the next day in port before sailing ?

Thanks in advance for any advice

In 2014 we arrived a couple of days early in Buenos Aires before embarking the ship to overnight before sailing. We arrived late at night & pre-reserved a taxi which met us at the airport. It cost us $38 to the Savoy Hotel & we used this site to reserve it.

http://www.taxiezeiza.com.ar/eng/reservas

The hotel got us a taxi to the ship which was reasonably priced & we felt safe walking around central BA during our pre-cruise visit.

Edited by Astro Flyer

One can get the get the taziezeza at the white both in the middle

of the arrivals terminal. You pay, the give you receipt and are directed outside to their taxis. Checking the rate exchange it

is over 70usd. We have been to BA several times. One

uses the same caution that one would use in any large city.

It is a wonderful city, so full of interesting sites. Get a private

guide, or walk around on your own. Check with your hotel

if it is safe to walk around the area. They will tell you. Don't wear

jewelry, or watch, unless it is a cheap throw away, (dollar tree) type. Always have money in a safe place and be careful if you

have a large expensive camera. Really this applies to all the cities that you will visit on this cruise. Just because you might

be on a Princess tour, don't let you guard down. Last December, on a Princess tour, we had a member of our group 10 people,

had a cell phone stole off her person in Santiago, Chile.

If you haven't already, you might want to post this on the South America Ports of Call board too: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76. There are helpful locals on that board plus a wider audience of SA cruisers. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen this very question recently.

I also have some unsolicited advice. If you plan on going to BA early, include a visit to Iguassu Falls for a night or two. You'll see some of the most stupendous scenery on the planet!

No advise on taxis, but here is someone you can ask in Buenos Aires. When we were there last February we took a private, 2 person, walking tour with this company. A little expensive, but really great. Their web site provides information on their tours.

BuenosTours Info <info@buenostours.com>

No advise on taxis, but here is someone you can ask in Buenos Aires. When we were there last February we took a private, 2 person, walking tour with this company. A little expensive, but really great. Their web site provides information on their tours.

BuenosTours Info <info@buenostours.com>

I second this recommendation! We (group of 4) had a wonderful tour on New Years Eve day. The city was deserted (getting ready to party I guess :D) so no problem walking and taking public transportation with our guide. The only issue was that the temperatures were in the mid 90s!

IMO, I would take the Princess transfer. The international airport is a fair distance from BA. We stayed at the BA Hilton which is in a pretty safe area and not to far from the port. If you have a few extra days, it is also a very good idea to see Iguazu Fall, but it will be very hot and humid.

Arlene

IMO, I would take the Princess transfer. The international airport is a fair distance from BA. We stayed at the BA Hilton which is in a pretty safe area and not to far from the port. If you have a few extra days, it is also a very good idea to see Iguazu Fall, but it will be very hot and humid.

Arlene

If flying in to Iguazu, I recommend using the AEP airport which is very near the cruise port. This is not the international airport.

We faced your same dilemma this past February. Taxi? Princess transfer? If the Princess transfer takes you to your hotel, that might be the easiest. We stayed at The Claridge (third time staying there and a wonderful hotel and great location). Since the Princess transfer did not go there, we arranged for an airport pickup through the hotel. The person was waiting for us inside the airport just after you clear customs and immigration. Drove the half-hr drive to the hotel located in the Microcenter part of town. After that, took taxis a few times while in Buenos Aires. Make sure you always take a "Radio Taxi". The only legitimate one from what I understand. Had no problem taking Radio Taxis for short drives around town. Also took a Radio Taxi from the hotel to the Port. Did not arrange for that through the hotel. Just went to the street and looked for the largest Radio Taxi I could find. Buenos Aires is a great place to visit. Be sure to indulge in the steak and Malbecs.

This thread makes me even more glad we are boarding in FLL for the entire 49 days. No worries about flights to BA or getting to and from hotels. Hope everything works out wonderfully for the OP. See you onboard once we get to BA. :D