Cruise line recommendation for traditional dining

marymcgol

With move to more dining options on ships, it often seems that those who like traditional dining experience are forgotten. We like to eat at late seating at a larger table, and we like to dress for dinner. I don't think that formal nights require a tuxedo and gown, but also don't think tee shirts and torn jeans are appropriate. We think the traditional dining experience is a great way to meet new friends, but have noted that often there may be only 1 or 2 couples at a table for 10 or 12. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We like the traditional dining (for dinner) as well. We are a family of four, so it's just us at our table, however we always like to make new friends with the tables next to ours! It's fun to see how their day went and to share stories of what each other did for the day.

There is no doubt that there is a continual shift away from fixed dining times . We prefer deciding when and with whom we eat with . I do understand that this is one of the cruising traditions that many love . We also find early seating is too early and sometimes late seating is too late .

In my experience HAL seems the be the line that most retains a preference toward this option . Given its demographics , this makes sense . Holland servers make an extra effort to really get to know the people assigned to their tables . They want to know your preferences and desires . I realize this is true for all good servers at all cruise lines but we observed this was always the case on Holland . I also believe a higher % of the passengers eat at the MDR each night . There are less additional fee places and less people using the lido for evening meals .

Having said the above , all cruise brands are trying to meet the eating desires of all of their customers .

With move to more dining options on ships, it often seems that those who like traditional dining experience are forgotten. We like to eat at late seating at a larger table, and we like to dress for dinner. I don't think that formal nights require a tuxedo and gown, but also don't think tee shirts and torn jeans are appropriate. We think the traditional dining experience is a great way to meet new friends, but have noted that often there may be only 1 or 2 couples at a table for 10 or 12. Any recommendations?

Cunard is one of the last bastions of dressing for dinner. Even on informal nights men are required to wear a jacket. They still maintain traditional early and late seating for dinner.

Whenever I mention Cunard to somebody looking for traditional cruising however, the response is either "too expensive" or "they don't sail out of Florida". I see that you are in Rhode Island. QM2 sails out of New York so you may want to look at her sailing schedule.

Unfortunately, most of the mainstream lines have "dumbed down" the cruise experience. And, for some reason, most folks nowadays prefer the company of their phone to tablemates....it's a shame! We, too, enjoy tablemates and always request a larger table at late seating. But, with all the other eating venues, it's seldom a "full" table. I think the addition of the "specialty" restaurants has eroded the dining experience....used to be all the GREAT food was served in the MDR...now you need to pay extra for the good stuff!

OP, we feel exactly the same way. Over the years, we have learned several things.

The longer the cruise, the better the chances of having a consistent table. The best for us has been our eastbound transatlantics, on which no one has spent a day ashore and become too tired to attend dinner.

Once we pre-arranged a table with several people on our roll call. We agreed to link our reservations and request a table together. It worked out great.

We have also asked our servers if there are people at their adjacent tables who would like to join us. Usually, the answer is that all the seats at our table are reserved for Mr. and Mrs. X, Y, and Z (the invisible diners) and cannot be given away, but sometimes it works.

The only line that does NOT have traditional dining is NCL. All the others do, with the possible exception of the luxury lines, and I have no familiarity with them. EM

The "luxury" lines all seem to have open (non-assigned) seating and "country club casual" - or something comparable. Of course, they attract a type of cruiser who do not seem to believe you have to be able to wear shorts and a tee shirt to enjoy dinner.

Aside from the clearly formal Cunard, Celebrity and HAL ( especially on their longer sailings) seem to attract people who are inclined to enjoy the traditional approach.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If it's people like yourself that you want to meet...other options than sitting at a large empty table for dinner...those people always look so uncomfortable waiting for other's that don't show up....Perhaps MTD (if sailing RCI) is the way to go and ask for a large table...they usually fill up. Lunch in the MDR could be an option too.

We have taken two cruises this year. The first was a Panama Canal cruise on Holland America. We always request second seating traditional dining. On that cruise, we received a table for eight with only one other gentleman at it the first few nights. We eventually recruited a couple of ladies to join our table and another couple also joined it. On the 10th night of our cruise, we had interlopers show up at our table. They had been assigned to it all cruise long and never thought how inconsiderate they were being by not showing up. The head waiter moved them to another table so the seven of us who had been there for the latter two-thirds of the cruise could have our last dinner together.

On our Princess cruise last month, we had a table for six. Out of the 12 nights, four were open seating due to late time in port. We had great tablemates and even arranged to have another table the last night when the early folks were not finished at our table in time due to it being open seating.