Silver Spirits Beverage Package Option

sabrefan

I think the Silver Spirits drinks package works out around $20 per day. Clearly value for money depends on how much you are likely to drink. I wouldn’t regard my wife and I as heavy drinkers but on our Viking cruise next month I intend to adopt something along the lines of the following daily routine (prices approximate but in line with previous Viking cruises):

Sail-away prosecco $8; after dinner cocktail $8; afternoon beer $6; couple of sodas/soft drinks at $4 each. Total $30. Plus upgraded wines at lunch and dinner and, if you eat in the Chef’s Table, the upgraded wine pairing menu which, if you are not on the Silver Spirits package, is available at a supplement of $25.

But probably the main advantage of opting for the package is not having to make these calculations as you go along and decide whether you are getting value for money – just sit back, take another sip and relax.

• Like 5

Thanks for your responses to my question. In my mind there are quantifiable benefits, and others - such as convenience - that are less quantifiable. I fully appreciate the convenience as Janet&David mentioned, but have a hard time assigning a value to it. On the other hand, at $20/day it is hard to decide if it even matters. But between prosecco and rum swizzles (this is a Bermuda cruise, after all), I am pretty sure on this cruise we will save by having the package.

My interest is somewhat academic in that I would like to know at the end of the cruise how we have fared. In my mind, it would probably amount to at most a couple of dollars plus or minus a day, and that would be a convenience. On the other hand, if we do not take the package, I assume we would get a bill at the end of the cruise that lists all the data - but I am sure Viking will not let us decide then to take the package.

I realize I am WAY overthinking this issue - and I do appreciate all who are responding with their information and opinions - but who  doesn't  have a lot of time on their hands these days...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Janet&David said:

I think the Silver Spirits drinks package works out around $20 per day. Clearly value for money depends on how much you are likely to drink. I wouldn’t regard my wife and I as heavy drinkers but on our Viking cruise next month I intend to adopt something along the lines of the following daily routine (prices approximate but in line with previous Viking cruises):

Sail-away prosecco $8; after dinner cocktail $8; afternoon beer $6; couple of sodas/soft drinks at $4 each. Total $30. Plus upgraded wines at lunch and dinner and, if you eat in the Chef’s Table, the upgraded wine pairing menu which, if you are not on the Silver Spirits package, is available at a supplement of $25.

But probably the main advantage of opting for the package is not having to make these calculations as you go along and decide whether you are getting value for money – just sit back, take another sip and relax.

On our TA cruise last March we were booking a future cruise on board. We were discussing the need for the drinks package and told the sales advisor that we really didn’t drink very much. He looked at our bar account and said, “you do”! We are certainly not big drinkers but we do enjoy cocktails and the better quality wines with dinner. Then there’s the occasional gin and tonic and perhaps an after dinner liqueur. Perhaps he was right. 😂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Other than making sure that what you have chosen is under the maximum price per drink.  Else, you might be in for a BIG surprise when you check out.  

When I pay thousands for a cruise, I'm not worried about drink prices.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, What was that? said:

I agree, but as I said my interest is somewhat academic - and my science/engineering mind craves DATA!

We've done both ways (with and without).  Regardless of cost (and I agree, when you pay thousands, a few extra dollars a day is not much) . . .   for us the major convenience is also being able to be spontaneous and have a drink or two when we wish, without thinking about it.   It is part of the reason we like Viking - pay the up front price and then have everything (pretty much) included and not having to concern yourselves.  Mentally relaxing!!

I've never calculated out the $ difference for us - and I'm an analytics guy!

I think as I get older, I have tended to worry less about those things.  No more penny-wise / pound-foolish!

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, What was that? said:

I agree, but as I said my interest is somewhat academic - and my science/engineering mind craves DATA!

Even though we had very different careers, like you, I can't seem to not pick up stuff and read.  Heck, in high school I was so bored I read the World Book Encyclopedia from A to Z and appendices,.  Pre covid when I went to any office and had to wait I would pick up whatever they had.  Amazing what you can learn from Proctology Digest or Modern Bride.....  Good thing you and I learned to have a beverage or two or we would be ruling the world...😳🍸😎

• Like 1

If a couple is traveling together, do they both have to upgrade if one wants the premium wine.  I know my DH would enjoy the better wines, but I don’t drink that much... maybe a cocktail before dinner, no wine, and possibly a Bailey’s after dinner on a rare night.

3 minutes ago, SoBaycruiser said:

If a couple is traveling together, do they both have to upgrade if one wants the premium wine.  I know my DH would enjoy the better wines, but I don’t drink that much... maybe a cocktail before dinner, no wine, and possibly a Bailey’s after dinner on a rare night.

Yes, both people in the cabin must buy the drinks package.

The premium wines can be purchased by the glass at lunch and dinner if you aren't on the package..  

You are going to have to do the math on this but if you think that between the two of you can drink $40 worth of wine, cocktails and soft drinks in a day, then you should get the package. Someone posted links to bar menus and with that you should be able to ballpark how much you are going to spend.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, What was that? said:

Thanks for your responses to my question. In my mind there are quantifiable benefits, and others - such as convenience - that are less quantifiable. I fully appreciate the convenience as Janet&David mentioned, but have a hard time assigning a value to it. On the other hand, at $20/day it is hard to decide if it even matters. But between prosecco and rum swizzles (this is a Bermuda cruise, after all), I am pretty sure on this cruise we will save by having the package.

My interest is somewhat academic in that I would like to know at the end of the cruise how we have fared. In my mind, it would probably amount to at most a couple of dollars plus or minus a day, and that would be a convenience. On the other hand, if we do not take the package, I assume we would get a bill at the end of the cruise that lists all the data - but I am sure Viking will not let us decide then to take the package.

I realize I am WAY overthinking this issue - and I do appreciate all who are responding with their information and opinions - but who  doesn't  have a lot of time on their hands these days...

I'm curious what they call a rum swizzle. Anything (with rum) you swizzle is a swizzle. But, they should be shot for what they call a Mai Tai.

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Even though we had very different careers, like you, I can't seem to not pick up stuff and read.  Heck, in high school I was so bored I read the World Book Encyclopedia from A to Z and appendices,.  Pre covid when I went to any office and had to wait I would pick up whatever they had.  Amazing what you can learn from Proctology Digest or Modern Bride.....  Good thing you and I learned to have a beverage or two or we would be ruling the world...😳🍸😎

Will Hunting?

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We've done both ways (with and without).  Regardless of cost (and I agree, when you pay thousands, a few extra dollars a day is not much) . . .   for us the major convenience is also being able to be spontaneous and have a drink or two when we wish, without thinking about it.   It is part of the reason we like Viking - pay the up front price and then have everything (pretty much) included and not having to concern yourselves.  Mentally relaxing!!

I've never calculated out the $ difference for us - and I'm an analytics guy!

I think as I get older, I have tended to worry less about those things.  No more penny-wise / pound-foolish!

Thinking about it? If I want a drink I have a drink regardless if it's already paid for or not.

12 minutes ago, duquephart said:

I'm curious what they call a rum swizzle. Anything (with rum) you swizzle is a swizzle. But, they should be shot for what they call a Mai Tai.

Here is one incarnation of the Bermuda Rum Swizzle. The recipe does vary. As far as Mai Tais, when built out of original ingredients it can be very good. Using the mixes is a crap-shoot, although in the interest of getting the job done, I often will use Trader Vic's regular mix, or the Trader Vic's pre-mix (with alcohol). Not the same, but to my less sensitive taste buds it does the job.

--- I almost forgot the Dark 'n Stormy. Oh, my, I am going to be busy!

Edited by What was that?
Added thought
  • Like 1

We have never picked up the SS package on any of our cruises.  From what I remember, our bar bill at the end was roughly half of what it would have been if we had taken the package.  Neither of us deny ourselves what we want, it’s just we don’t drink enough that we have found it was worth it.

15 minutes ago, What was that? said:

Here is one incarnation of the Bermuda Rum Swizzle. The recipe does vary. As far as Mai Tais, when built out of original ingredients it can be very good. Using the mixes is a crap-shoot, although in the interest of getting the job done, I often will use Trader Vic's regular mix, or the Trader Vic's pre-mix (with alcohol). Not the same, but to my less sensitive taste buds it does the job.

--- I almost forgot the Dark 'n Stormy. Oh, my, I am going to be busy!

Do they use Gosling's? 

34 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Gosling's has sued bars for using the name and not their rum. 

I have heard that.

I am amused that they were granted a trademark to protect their "intellectual property", i.e. an alcoholic drink recipe.

However, I am very much in favor of defending one's IP, if it has been recognized in the normal way. On the other hand, what's to prevent a bar from selling dark rum and ginger beer as anything they would like to call it (not "Dark 'n Stormy" of course). How about "Storm Clouds" or "Ginger Darkness"? It is not rocket surgery. Or just be honest: "We do not serve "Dark 'n Stormy" here; rather we have a similar drink made with "premium" (or specially selected) ingredients. Why ask for trouble?

Now, barkeep - another rum swizzle if you please...

2 hours ago, What was that? said:

I have heard that.

I am amused that they were granted a trademark to protect their "intellectual property", i.e. an alcoholic drink recipe.

However, I am very much in favor of defending one's IP, if it has been recognized in the normal way. On the other hand, what's to prevent a bar from selling dark rum and ginger beer as anything they would like to call it (not "Dark 'n Stormy" of course). How about "Storm Clouds" or "Ginger Darkness"? It is not rocket surgery. Or just be honest: "We do not serve "Dark 'n Stormy" here; rather we have a similar drink made with "premium" (or specially selected) ingredients. Why ask for trouble?

Now, barkeep - another rum swizzle if you please...

Try starting a watch company and calling it "Rolex" ----- see what happens.

we are in constant search for the BEST ginger beer....Goslings (always the best choice for the rum) is not always the best ginger beer.  next on our our list to try is Fever Tree"s....Fever Tree is now my favorite for tonic...try the Elderflower...  

oh how I need a Viking Cruise to try once again to get through the cocktail list!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, deec said:

we are in constant search for the BEST ginger beer....Goslings (always the best choice for the rum) is not always the best ginger beer.  next on our our list to try is Fever Tree"s....Fever Tree is now my favorite for tonic...try the Elderflower...  

oh how I need a Viking Cruise to try once again to get through the cocktail list!

Barritt's. Big question is fresh lime or not.