Booking handicapped rooms if not needed?

KarimaJ

So I saw these nice large panoramic ocean view rooms on Liberty of the Sea. When going to book I can select them but then there's a pop up that says they are handicapped and I may be reassigned and I would pay the cost if any.

I'm not trying to take away a room from someone who needs it, but why allow booking if I shouldn't be allowed to? Would they really take it away from me later on?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, I'm sure technically and depending on what you disclose to them they can take it. On the other hand, if I needed a handicapped room and it was taken from me I would be highly upset. Also, if I booked a handicap room and Royal contacted me to inquire about my specific reasons for needing it, I would find that to be invasive questioning.

Royal opens the available accessible cabins to all for booking within 4 weeks of the cruise. Even before then, they are not permitted to ask what your disability is, but may inquire as to what you specifically require in the accessible room so as to accommodate your needs.

So I saw these nice large panoramic ocean view rooms on Liberty of the Sea. When going to book I can select them but then there's a pop up that says they are handicapped and I may be reassigned and I would pay the cost if any.

I'm not trying to take away a room from someone who needs it, but why allow booking if I shouldn't be allowed to? Would they really take it away from me later on?

When is the cruise?

You don't say when the cruise is. That said, out of ALL of the panoramic ocean view rooms, only ONE of them is accessible. Of ALL of the balcony cabins on the ship, only SIX are accessible. Therefore, it is difficult enough for those who NEED accessible cabins to get them in the first place. If you don't need one, and book one, they can absolutely ask if you require the features and reassign you. If the cruise is less than four weeks out, and they have opened them for booking, great. If it's further out than that, leave the accessible cabins for those who need them.

If you don't need it, yes they can take it away if it's needed. Was at least one poster on here it happened to. With the limited handicapped cabins available, don't. I see many wheelchair passengers on board every cruise I take, many times see that they are in a regular cabin...

Don't know if it's still the rule, but when I was a TA a few years ago, after final payment date had gone by the accessible cabins opened for anyone. I took advantage several times.

Also, when there were no more regular cabins in the category, the accessible cabins would open up no matter how far from cruise date.

On the other hand, if I needed a handicapped room and it was taken from me I would be highly upset. Also, if I booked a handicap room and Royal contacted me to inquire about my specific reasons for needing it, I would find that to be invasive questioning.

So you would rather that the cruise line allow non-handicapped to get and keep the accessible room you need?

Yeap, that makes sense.

If they ask, they do not need chapter and verse, but some idea of why you should have the room versus someone else.

While they will not ask you specifically what your handicap is - you will be required to fill out a form and on that form you will have to check a box saying that you do have a need for an accessible room. ( this is for rooms that are booked in advance of the 4 week sailing time frame)

I have filled out many of these forms since my husband had a scooter and other reasons for the accessible room.

So you would rather that the cruise line allow non-handicapped to get and keep the accessible room you need?

Yeap, that makes sense.

If they ask, they do not need chapter and verse, but some idea of why you should have the room versus someone else.

No.

I think it is appropriate that the rooms be reassigned to a handicapped person should someone come along that needs it. I broke my foot just before a cruise and I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to change my non handicapped room to an accessible room when I called to inquire if any were available. I have no idea if the cabin was already assigned to someone else or not. If so, many thanks to that person for moving to another cabin because having the accessible room was wonderful. It made my cruise much more pleasant and comfortable. Just taking a shower would have been problematic because of not being able to stand on my broken foot. I think the showers on board the ship were the first I had been able to take since breaking my foot as I was uncomfortable trying to maneuver inside my shower at home. I was getting very tired of sponge baths!

Well, I'm sure technically and depending on what you disclose to them they can take it. On the other hand, if I needed a handicapped room and it was taken from me I would be highly upset. Also, if I booked a handicap room and Royal contacted me to inquire about my specific reasons for needing it, I would find that to be invasive questioning.

I agree with all you said. They cannot ask specific questions about your disability but they do require you to fill out a form for the Special Needs Dept. There are not many of these cabins and you need to book very early if you need one.