No more Cruise Logs

JennysUncle

Like many here, have a full cash of Medallions and pins. NO ONE ever forced me to take or to keep any of them, I like , my medallions. They bring bac k lots of memories for me. . If you think them silly fine, but please don't diminish our enjoyment of them Thank you if you choose to consider that.

Sorry that you missed the sarcasm in my earlier Post. I thought the sarcasm was obvious but understand how some folks could have missed it.

Before I say anything, please no flaming what I'm about to say.

As far as those medallions, what ever floats your boat. I kinder like them but was disappointed when I tried to sell my Silver one on eBay and got a reply that I would have to pay them to take it. :D

Actually years ago when I was just a toddler on Holland America, I was sitting next to a couple at one of those giveaway medallion ceremonies. The man had and I think a silver one around his neck. I said to him, "That looks nice". He replies and I quote, "RedneckBob, I could have bought two Mercedes for what I paid for this medallion."

Need I say more.

• 2 weeks later...
Now if only we could get HAL to stop forcing us to accept the medallions, pins, and other unwanted trinkets & trash ...

HAL is not among the cruise lines I've sailed the most, so I really don't know how their recognition system works. All I know is, being 2 star doesn't mean crap. ;)

Anyways, about the medallions, last week on Koningsdam was the first time I ever noticed anyone wearing one of those things. Funny story....luckily it was someone I met a few days earlier on the cruise so I could get away with this...I walked up to them and asked them if it was an award for winning the belly flop contest. That thing came off his neck faster than his wife could get out her "well, I never."

We laughed about it later. :D

HAL is not among the cruise lines I've sailed the most, so I really don't know how their recognition system works. All I know is, being 2 star doesn't mean crap. ;)

Anyways, about the medallions, last week on Koningsdam was the first time I ever noticed anyone wearing one of those things. Funny story....luckily it was someone I met a few days earlier on the cruise so I could get away with this...I walked up to them and asked them if it was an award for winning the belly flop contest. That thing came off his neck faster than his wife could get out her "well, I never."

We laughed about it later. :D

It is not the award for the belly flop contest! It is for the hairy leg competition :).

Hank

Funny story....luckily it was someone I met a few days earlier on the cruise so I could get away with this...I walked up to them and asked them if it was an award for winning the belly flop contest. That thing came off his neck faster than his wife could get out her "well, I never."

We laughed about it later. [emoji3]

I don't understand how mocking a fellow passenger could be considered "funny". What is the point of belittling another passenger's different perspective of the medallions?

Another passenger wearing a medallion has no impact on your cruise. Mocking a fellow passenger's choices, that don't impact you, probably distracted from his enjoyment of his vacation.

Imagine the conversation with his wife in their cabin afterwards. I doubt they were "laughing" then despite them showing good manners and "laughing" about it later.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

I don't understand how mocking a fellow passenger could be considered "funny". What is the point of belittling another passenger's different perspective of the medallions?

Another passenger wearing a medallion has no impact on your cruise. Mocking a fellow passenger's choices, that don't impact you, probably distracted from his enjoyment of his vacation.

Imagine the conversation with his wife in their cabin afterwards. I doubt they were "laughing" then despite them showing good manners and "laughing" about it later.

Apparently you missed the part where I said this was someone I already met on the cruise. And what I didn't mention is this guy shared little digs back and forth with me throughout the entire cruise. Totally harmless stuff that made us laugh...mostly about our age difference. It was all in good fun.

Besides, if someone is so uptight about a stupid medallion that they can't take a joke, they really should avoid social interaction.....including these boards. :rolleyes:

Apparently you missed the part where I said this was someone I already met on the cruise. And what I didn't mention is this guy shared little digs back and forth with me throughout the entire cruise. Totally harmless stuff that made us laugh...mostly about our age difference. It was all in good fun.

Besides, if someone is so uptight about a stupid medallion that they can't take a joke, they really should avoid social interaction.....including these boards. :rolleyes:

Bless your heart!!

http://www.theinsidecabin.com

My medallion is not stupid .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

From rafinmd. The new cruise log from the Amsterdam

http://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/cruiselog.pdf

This is much better than the one above. I can easily find info on the cruise ship. I am more interested in the nautical miles traveled and at what speed. We just departed from the Volendam and after talking to Orlando Ashford's secretary, we did get that info. And I wasn't the only one who asked for that info as I knew the staff member who compiled it for me!

I still can't see why they can't provide it in a PDF or on their inhouse internet navigator. We could all do a screen print if we wanted the info.

Everytime, I received art auctions and spa ads and jewelry ads and photo ads and future cruise ads, I thought of my lonely sheet of paper with the cruise info. I truly feel someone blew it!

If folding it is the problem, I can easily fold it. If deliverying it is a problem, have a stack at the front desk or send everyone an e-mail copy.

Ain’t that the truth!

Classic example of how people need to lighten up.

True. It all started on day 1 in the Lido market where the man was looking at the new hand washing stations and asked what they were. I told him it was a urinal. It took him a minute, but he started laughing and invited me to eat lunch with him. He later said the tea times were his favorite and told me he would check me out of Club HAL to go get tea (because in my 40s, I was among the youngsters on board). This continued back and forth throughout the cruise.

Anyways, it's people like this who can have a good laugh who make cruises so great...especially when we can laugh at ourselves. And as a D+ member on RCI and Elite on Celebrity, I know first hand that high loyalty members can be a very laughable bunch. ;)

I received this today:

In response to your completed Holland America Line survey (Zuiderdam October 2017 Cruise Survey)

////////

“Regarding cruise logs, we’re not currently able to provide these for our sailings. We’re sorry for any disappointment at not receiving this document for your voyage and will pass this feedback along to management so they may consider whether to reintroduce cruise logs to our fleet in the future.”

I received this today:

In response to your completed Holland America Line survey (Zuiderdam October 2017 Cruise Survey)

////////

“Regarding cruise logs, we’re not currently able to provide these for our sailings. We’re sorry for any disappointment at not receiving this document for your voyage and will pass this feedback along to management so they may consider whether to reintroduce cruise logs to our fleet in the future.”

Bolding is mine... I sure would like to know WHY they're 'not currently able'. Sounds like a cop-out to me.

Not able to, as was pointed out above, doesn't mean anything.

I'm on the Amsterdam, having joined the Grand Asia in Sydney. In my mailbox was the "cruise log" for the previous segment (from Hong Kong), with distances sailed between ports and the names of the officers. On one side of paper.

Just back from Panama Canal cruise on Westerdam (last week) and we got the full cruise log. I love these and always keep it with my other cruise info, like the daily When/Wheres. My DH and I also got our Bronze Medallions on this cruise...we only wore them from the theater where there were handed out to the dining room where we got our Mariners' lunch. Silly, but it was a nice ceremony and I got a free Bloody Mary!

I also miss the log. I keep each one in my picture album. You can't imagine how many times it ended an argument. It is " I told you it was not that far!"

As far as the medals. I believe I earned mine. It is fun, like wearing Mickey ears at Disneyland , fun, fun, fun.

Let'adopt a grassroots movement on this. Everytime we go to the front desk, ask and demand that we want a cruise compilation log. In the participation easels/list in the crows nest, there should be a message to ask fellow shipmates to do the same. The same demamd everytime we speak to any ship officers.

The creaky wheel gets the oil...

Let'adopt a grassroots movement on this. Everytime we go to the front desk, ask and demand that we want a cruise compilation log. In the participation easels/list in the crows nest, there should be a message to ask fellow shipmates to do the same. The same demamd everytime we speak to any ship officers.

The creaky wheel gets the oil...

Excellent idea! I will ask about it when I get onboard. If they say we aren’t getting them, I will ask everyone in our M&G to ask about them.

Pleased to receive a cruise log for our Mexican Riviera cruise on Westerdam last week. Provided a brief description of location, weather and sailing times for each day along with mileage and average speed with total mileage for the voyage. Info about the ship and the ship's complement was included.

Pleased to receive a cruise log for our Mexican Riviera cruise on Westerdam last week. Provided a brief description of location, weather and sailing times for each day along with mileage and average speed with total mileage for the voyage. Info about the ship and the ship's complement was included.
It appears that the W'dam never stopped issuing them. If they can still do it, why are others "not currently able"? :confused: