No more Cruise Logs

JennysUncle

Agreed... why the inconsistency between ships / sailings? :(

Unfortunately, "inconsistency of cruise experiences" on the ships of Holland America Line seems to be the current "Signature of Excellence".

Usually, "all is good". But, sometimes, "not so much" in some regards.

Again have sent a letter to the office of the president, which I have done prior to our Volendam cruise as well and now after our cruise, because no cruise log was delivered. Both answers I received came down to the same line, new things and changes are being conducted and they regret my disappointment regarding absence of the log, but they will forward it to the appropriate management.

I did mention facts like why change such a popular thing and if they intend to replace it, why not first roll out something new, before removing the old. I also indicated that obviously it was not a fleet wide change, since some have still received it. I also suggested the issuing of soft copy’s after the cruise, in combination with the survey invitation, or print it on the blank, backside of the final statement, that is delivered to your cabin anyway. The comment on my letter was sadly a bit general, not going into specifics.

I have also sent a letter, asking for the cruise information to guest services, but have not yet received an answer.

Again have sent a letter to the office of the president, which I have done prior to our Volendam cruise as well and now after our cruise, because no cruise log was delivered. Both answers I received came down to the same line, new things and changes are being conducted and they regret my disappointment regarding absence of the log, but they will forward it to the appropriate management.

I have also sent a letter, asking for the cruise information to guest services, but have not yet received an answer.

I have requested this information too.... but have not as yet received a reply either. I will let you know if and when this happens, the email I received some time ago stated that if I wanted specific information I needed to email guest services...... so that is exactly what I have done!

Agreed... why the inconsistency between ships / sailings? :(

The difference ("inconsistency") between (and among) ships/sailings is a function of changes (turnover) in the ship's staff and crew. The Captain sets the tone and the senior officers implement the specific policies and procedures. We have been on the same HAL ship several times with a different Captain each time, and the level of service (friendliness of staff, efficiency of service, quality of food, cleanliness of ship, etc.) was noticeably different each time. IMO the much-maligned "Seattle" had nothing to do with those differences.

The difference ("inconsistency") between (and among) ships/sailings is a function of changes (turnover) in the ship's staff and crew. The Captain sets the tone and the senior officers implement the specific policies and procedures. We have been on the same HAL ship several times with a different Captain each time, and the level of service (friendliness of staff, efficiency of service, quality of food, cleanliness of ship, etc.) was noticeably different each time. IOM the much-maligned "Seattle" had nothing to do with those differences.

As the headquarters for the cruise line, it is indeed "Seattle's" responsibility to ensure consistency and uniformity among the fleet, much like any other head office whether it be Walmart, Denny's or Nordstrom.

The difference ("inconsistency") between (and among) ships/sailings is a function of changes (turnover) in the ship's staff and crew. The Captain sets the tone and the senior officers implement the specific policies and procedures. We have been on the same HAL ship several times with a different Captain each time, and the level of service (friendliness of staff, efficiency of service, quality of food, cleanliness of ship, etc.) was noticeably different each time. IMO the much-maligned "Seattle" had nothing to do with those differences.

But I'm not talking about the 'cruise experience' in general here. I'm specifically talking about the reported inconsistencies in providing cruise logs between ships/sailing. If it is indeed HAL policy to not provide the logs, then the policy would would come from Seattle, and should be implemented flee twide; which it clearly is not.

But I'm not talking about the 'cruise experience' in general here. I'm specifically talking about the reported inconsistencies in providing cruise logs between ships/sailing. If it is indeed HAL policy to not provide the logs, then the policy would would come from Seattle, and should be implemented flee twide; which it clearly is not.

As some earlier Posts have indicated, some HAL ship still distribute Cruise Logs while other HAL ships do not, which leads me to believe that either (1) there is no edict from "Seattle" on the CL issue, or (2) the individual HAL ships are allowed to follow or ignore the "Seattle" policy on CL. JMO YMMV

Your comment reflects my experience and opinion as to the differences from cruise to cruise as well.

However, why in the past was the HAL experience so consistent on all of their ships and now always isn't? I am speaking to a time when the fleet was not as large as it is now. It seems to me that with the growth of the size of the fleet and with all of the "audits" that the ships' now experience, many of which are HQ required, an audit or two dealing with consistency of Guest Experience from ship to ship would be a desirable thing to do. And, such an "audit" would be done upon the direction of a Seattle-based official.

Just some data points:

- Westerdam, Adriatic Dream, 2-14 Oct. Cruise Log issued (notwithstanding it said the day in Valetta was partly cloudy and we had thunderstorms with inundations most of the day, at least there was one.)

- Westerdam, Mediterranean Dream, 14-26 Oct. Cruise Log issued.

- Prinsendam, Trans-Atlantic, 2-16 Nov. No Cruise Log.

Dave

Your comment reflects my experience and opinion as to the differences from cruise to cruise as well.

However, why in the past was the HAL experience so consistent on all of their ships and now always isn't? I am speaking to a time when the fleet was not as large as it is now. It seems to me that with the growth of the size of the fleet and with all of the "audits" that the ships' now experience, many of which are HQ required, an audit or two dealing with consistency of Guest Experience from ship to ship would be a desirable thing to do. And, such an "audit" would be done upon the direction of a Seattle-based official.

IMO your idea of consistency audits has merit ... provided the audits did not become a self-defeating effort much like many of our public school achievement tests have become.

" However, as we try to reduce our carbon foot-print, and printingless items that needed to be disposed of in the future, we hope you willunderstand our decision to discontinue the cruise logs. "

So how about just a tiny bit of THINKING and produce a PDF of the cruise log...last i checked a PDF file has zero carbon footprint...plus i highly doubt that very many if any passengers DISPOSE of the cruise log.....unlike the tons of crap flyers put in the trash of every room everyday and the hundreds of pictures printed and disposed of as well....

We are just off the Queen Mary 2 and found they are NOT printing all the photos that no one wants anymore. They have computer stations where you view your photos and don’t print unless you choose to buy. (We didn’t.)

Barbara M. In NH

We are just off the Queen Mary 2 and found they are NOT printing all the photos that no one wants anymore. They have computer stations where you view your photos and don’t print unless you choose to buy. (We didn’t.)

If HAL wants to stick with the 'carbon footprint' excuse (not that I believe it)' date=' then this method makes a lot more sense than no longer printing the Cruise Log. [/color']

Barbara M. In NH

Our other cruise line of choice has had this system for years - it makes sense.

HAL's HQ feeble excuses for not producing the Cruise Log makes no sense. Enough alternatives have been offered to them, and ignored. And what kind of sense does it make to cancel them while they consider another option - as was claimed in an earlier email. It's sure taking them long enough....

• 3 weeks later...

Cruiser Bruiser posted this 12/21 on the "four pounds of bulk mail" thread:

"I got a Cruise Log the last night of my Eastern Caribbean sailing on Eurodam last week. It was on a single legal-size piece of paper and it even had a gold border. So, at least on Eurodam, the cruise logs are back and better than before."

Cruiser Bruiser posted this 12/21 on the "four pounds of bulk mail" thread:

"I got a Cruise Log the last night of my Eastern Caribbean sailing on Eurodam last week. It was on a single legal-size piece of paper and it even had a gold border. So' date=' at least on Eurodam, the cruise logs are back and better than before."[/quote']

No cruise log on the Oosterdam last week after an 18 day cruise! Very disappointing.

I think the Hotel Manager also has a lot to do with the friendliness of the crew that we meet on a daily basis.