Solo traveler - Specialty resraurant

NukeTim

I've been a solo traveller on several cruises (not HAL) and did not eat in specialty restaurant for dinner. I have an upcoming cruise on the Oosterdam and would not consider going to the Pinnacle Grille or Tamarind to eat alone. I'd would consider going to a specialty restaurant if there was a way to join a group. Does HAL ever arrange or organize this? comments? Suggestions?

No, the Cruise Director, or a staff member so assigned to attend the initial solo cruiser function, would be responsible for doing what you suggest. Really, it is not necessary. If you are able to find a fellow guest to join you for dinner at a specialty restaurant: great. If you are at a fixed seating dining table and someone(s) from from table would enjoy joining you: great. If not, there is absolutely nothing wrong about dining as a solo in any of HAL's specialty restaurants. Particularly, if the venue is not particularly busy, you may find that the service/attention to be almost "over the top".

I've been a solo traveller on several cruises (not HAL) and did not eat in specialty restaurant for dinner. I have an upcoming cruise on the Oosterdam and would not consider going to the Pinnacle Grille or Tamarind to eat alone. I'd would consider going to a specialty restaurant if there was a way to join a group. Does HAL ever arrange or organize this? comments? Suggestions?

That is not commonly done. I would suggest going to/attending the solo cruisers meet (check your daily program for date/time/location). You can then perhaps find someone/a group who has similar interests and make a reservation in the PG and/or Canaletto on Oostie. Enjoy that voyage, I'm assuming in Mexico :)

I have eaten at the Pinnacle Grill every cruise with people I met on the roll call. If you have a Meet & Greet or some other roll call activity you might find some others to dine with. Although I haven't done it, I know solo cruisers who went by themselves and enjoyed themselves.

All I can tell you is I have a reservation for 1 this evening at Canaletto on the Amsterdam. I have no qualms about eating alone, and I figured if the restaurant wanted only couples or groups, they would say so. I'm also OK with being seated with other singles if the restaurant wants to do that. I'll let you know how it goes. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am fairly new to solo cruising and have eaten alone both in the Pinnacle Grill and the Caneletto. I have seen other solos as well. I like it and have gotten excellent service as well as attention from the servers, wine person, and manager. Of course, I eat at 5:30 which may have something to do with the service and attention.

I have eaten alone in specialty restaurants both on Holland cruises and in special restaurants on land. I prefer company, but if that is not an option, I take my tablet, enjoy people watching or reading. In a lovely setting with delicious food and attentive service - how can I complain?

Just came back to my room after a delightful solo dinner in Canaletto. Attentive but unobtrusive service, superb food. I had a table to myself in a good location. Absolutely no complaints. I have another solo reservation there in 4 days; looking forward to it!

I sail solo often (and will be doing so again in November on K). I have no problem dining solo (or doing anything else I want to do on my own).

I absolutely could not care less what anyone thinks of the fact that I'm a woman travelling solo. I really enjoy it and I refuse to refrain from any activities just because I don't have a partner/friends joining me!

I imagine I'll try a couple of specialty restaurants in November. On my own. And that I'll enjoy them immensely!

I have always traveled solo and I do enjoy the specialty restaurants on whichever line I happen to be sailing on. I have dined in both the Pinnacle and Canaletto as a single diner and have enjoyed the experience. If anything, I think the service is even better when you dine as a solo as they really take good care of you and are very attentive.

I would agree with the other posters, if you don't like dining alone, maybe find someone from your roll call or aboard ship to join you for dinner. I would not want to join another table in the specialty restaurant as a lot of people use the specialty restaurants for special occasions, and I would feel like an intruder. That said I enjoy joining a table in the MDR but I don't think that happens in the specialty restaurants, at least I have not seen that happen on any line that I was sailing on.

That said I enjoy joining a table in the MDR but I don't think that happens in the specialty restaurants, at least I have not seen that happen on any line that I was sailing on.

If you are a solo who wants to dine with others in a specialty restaurant, you have to make the arrangements yourself. HAL will not match you up with others.

Just came back to my room after a delightful solo dinner in Canaletto. Attentive but unobtrusive service, superb food. I had a table to myself in a good location. Absolutely no complaints. I have another solo reservation there in 4 days; looking forward to it!

I am really glad that you had a great experience and that service and cuisine in Canaletto met your expectations.

Some will disagree, but I am one who thinks HAL has improved the Canaletto experience.

I am so happy to read this. Wonderful to learn you had such a pleasant experience. Thanks for sharing with us. It give those of us new to being solo the incentive to go alone to one of the alternative restaurants Iam okay about eating alone in a restaurant at home, so why not on a ship.? :) I would rather dine alone than be seated at a 'singles' table. I would decline. NOT interested.

I have long been a solo traveler and have no problem dining alone. However, that's not to say that this is always my 'preferred' state. I can understand the OP's wish to dine with others -- for me, dining out is an enjoyable social activity.

Unfortunately, it's up to the individual to make that happen. Join your roll call and see if any others would be interested. Or go ahead and make a reservation and then see if you meet others aboard that you can invite to share it with.

I have eaten at the Pinnacle Grill every cruise with people I met on the roll call. If you have a Meet & Greet or some other roll call activity you might find some others to dine with. Although I haven't done it, I know solo cruisers who went by themselves and enjoyed themselves.

I hope we have the pleasure to sail with you again. We so enjoyed your company both at special dinners and on board :)

I have long been a solo traveler and have no problem dining alone. However, that's not to say that this is always my 'preferred' state. I can understand the OP's wish to dine with others -- for me, dining out is an enjoyable social activity.

Unfortunately, it's up to the individual to make that happen. Join your roll call and see if any others would be interested. Or go ahead and make a reservation and then see if you meet others aboard that you can invite to share it with.

I will add my vote to the recommendations to join your roll call and get to know some of your fellow cruisers. You might be in for a very pleasant surprise :hearteyes:

Unfortunately, it's up to the individual to make that happen... " or not make it happen, if they don't wish for it to. :)"

[

cruise mom, 42. I cannot determine if this post was directed at me. Thank you anyway if so, but that would not be my choice or way.... . The good part of b eing a solo is not having to please anyone but myself. . I would prefer to dine alone than with strangers andIIdon't join roll calls. :) Strangers at a dinner table on a cfuise ship always get to the 'where' are you from,' stories ab out their families and grandkids etc While I am sure they are as brilliant as gram and gramps say,...........Boring.

Sorry but bad case of lack of interest, ....

What one person thinks is the 'way to go', another does not see it that way. How great we live in a place where we can make our own choices and leave others to do as they please. without criticism or disappoval,. :).

Edited by sail7seas

Unfortunately, it's up to the individual to make that happen... " or not make it happen, if they don't wish for it to. :)"

[

cruise mom, 42. I cannot determine if this post was directed at me. Thank you anyway if so, but that would not be my choice or way.... . The good part of b eing a solo is not having to please anyone but myself. . I would prefer to dine alone than with strangers andIIdon't join roll calls. :) Strangers at a dinner table on a rfuise ship always get to the 'where' are you from,' stories ab out their families and grandkids etc While I am sure they are as brilliant as gram and gramps say,...........Boring.

Sorry but bad case of lack of interest, ....

What one person thinks is the 'way to go', another does not see it that way. How great we live in a place where we can make our own choices and leave others to do as they please. without criticism or disappoval,. :).

JMO. no one need agreee. :)