Live from Regal Princess 9/23/17

cruiserking

Jonathon, awesome review.

We board this Saturday. Your pictures and narration of this itinerary has been beneficial to many of us that sail her next week.

Need2cruisesoon,

I'm so pleased to hear that. It was great fun posting these pictures and re-living all of our wonderful adventures aboard the Regal Princess.

Have a wonderful cruise, I'm sure you will all have a terrific time.

Jonathan

Johnathan, were still following along. Your review is getting us excited for our cruise on the Regal starting October 26. I'm a big dessert guy, so loving those pictures you posted. In fact all your pictures are fantastic! I will also have to watch for your review pointers for Club Class. Who knows, I may give it a try, sounds great from your description. Thanks again for taking time out from your cruise and doing this live thread. Best of cruising to you!!!!

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Jonathon, awesome review.

We board this Saturday. Your pictures and narration of this itinerary has been beneficial to many of us that sail her next week.

Hear!Hear! Ron, well said.

See you onboard.

Norris

So Norris will we be getting a follow up "Live From" from you next week ??

Enquiring Minds Want To Know :cool:

Srpilo

Alas, LIVEs are not my thing. I do take my computer on the ship but use it to download my photos each night, before putting the cat out.

I did do a LIVE from Emerald Princess in Italy 2 years ago but the Internet was hideously slow, even doing it from the Internet Center. I got good speed up on deck on the Celebrity ships but even there I wasn't tempted as I was in full relaxation mode thanks to Sir Arthur Guinness.

I will be writing the day I get home, which is my habit and I know with this Itinerary and this ship that the review will be photo and video heavy.

Thanks for asking!

Norris

Thanks so much for the tips and great photos and especially for your comments on “Club Class”. We are sailing this itinerary on the Regal next year as part of the Historical America tour. We are also sailing the Regal on the TA and got an excellent deal on Club Class. Can’t wait to read your Review. Thanks again, well done.:D

Thanks so much for the tips and great photos and especially for your comments on “Club Class”. We are sailing this itinerary on the Regal next year as part of the Historical America tour. We are also sailing the Regal on the TA and got an excellent deal on Club Class. Can’t wait to read your Review. Thanks again, well done.:D

Thank you very much Lanz. You will love Regal. We have our eye on the TA from Copenhagen to New York. 2 weeks on that ship would be pure bliss!

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Alas, LIVEs are not my thing. I do take my computer on the ship but use it to download my photos each night, before putting the cat out.

I did do a LIVE from Emerald Princess in Italy 2 years ago but the Internet was hideously slow, even doing it from the Internet Center. I got good speed up on deck on the Celebrity ships but even there I wasn't tempted as I was in full relaxation mode thanks to Sir Arthur Guinness. . . .

I did my one and only "Live from" on a Royal EB TA several years ago. My MO to minimize online time was to write my daily report in MS Word and then cut/paste it onto CC. I would also copy any replies to Word and compose my responses there and do a quick upload to CC. At least on sea days, there was time to do this. I assume I continued it once we started stopping at ports, but can't remember that part of the cruise clearly.

Norris, really enjoyed your reports!

Edited by BarbinMich

I did my one and only "Live from" on a Royal EB TA several years ago. My MO to minimize online time was to write my daily report in MS Word and then cut/paste it onto CC. I would also copy any replies to Word and compose my responses there and do a quick upload to CC. At least on sea days, there was time to do this. I assume I continued it once we started stopping at ports, but can't remember that part of the cruise clearly.

Norris, really enjoyed your reports!

Barb, thanks for the tip re Word but I spend so much time on a cruise taking photos and have to fit in at least 4 square meals a day and often long excursions and nightly shows that I don't even think about writing anything, knowing that I can sit down with the slew of photos at home after the event and take my time (usually writing every day for 6 weeks). We have 150 free Internet minutes each to use but that will be used for email and watching kitten videos on Facebook.

I'm glad you enjoy my reports and hope you'll tune in for the Regal one on October 23.

Meantime, back to Jonathon's great report...

Norris

Regal Princess Review - 9/23/17 Sailing

Embarkation

We arrived at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal at about 10:20 a.m., check-in had not yet started. We waited on chairs in the circular rotunda adjacent to security for about ten minutes until the line began to process passengers.

I like to arrive at the pier early. Sometimes there can be very bad traffic getting into the terminal. On this day there was none.

The other benefit to arriving early is they hand out numbered boarding cards. The lower your number the faster you get on board.

After security we went directly to the Priority check-in for Club Class. The odd thing here was the entire check-in was barren just a sea of stanchions and the only line was the one for Priority.

After about ten minutes we were checked-in and proceeded directly to the Club Class waiting area.

Club Class Pointer:There is a special waiting area to the left of the Priority check in desk. Elite, Suite and Club Class passengers can gain entrance to this special waiting lounge. Inside this intimate space is an alcove with coffee, tea, orange juice and a nice assortment of muffins and pastries. There are also restrooms.

At 11:45 am they opened the doors to the gangway corridor and we delightedly marched toward the Regal Princess.

Once onboard the ship, that wonderful delirious cruise thrill overtakes you as all of the stress, turmoil and nonsense melt way. Your senses are beguiled by the gleaming surfaces, sparkling glass and colorful carpeting sweeping you off toward the Concerto Dining Room like Dorothy and the Scarecrow to Oz.

We almost always lunch at the Lido on board ships, upon learning that Princess serves embarkation lunch in one their Main Dining Rooms were eager to indulge. We were seated in seconds by the window in the empty dining room and gazing at menus moments later.

The service was crisp, the ambience sublime and relaxing, the lunch was delicious. My wife Elene raved about here cheeseburger, my ravioli was tasty, the antipasto appetizer was very good. The orange soufflé with Grand Marnier sauce for dessert was a homerun. Given the option to enjoy embarkation lunch in a pristine, inviting, relaxing restaurant instead of the bustling lido is a choice we’ll make on every Princess cruise.

Regal Princess

The ship is absolutely gorgeous and beautifully maintained. The Piazza is the central hub on board and many of the lounges and public spaces are located on various decks its immediate vicinity. We never waited long for elevators. In fact on the last sea day, check your Daily Patter for the Elevator Roulette game. You place non-monetary wagers to guess with lift arrives next.

The crew in general is first-rate, very friendly and helpful. Waiters in the Horizon Court Buffet were always nearby to take drink orders. We were always greeted by friendly smiles throughout our voyage. We never experienced any crowds on board save for debarkation and following a theatrical production.

There are many quiets nooks and corners on board to escape too. The staff in all of the lounges and bars were always attentive, gracious and helpful.

Retreat Pool

On Sun Deck, 17 this wonderful serene area is the perfect place to relax on a sunny afternoon. We explored the inviting confines as we steamed from Newport, Rhode Island late in the afternoon. It was completely empty, private and inviting. You can rent a private cabana in this area at $50 for four hours. We definitely would have reserved a spot here during our port day in Saint John, NB had the weather been nicer.

Cabin – Club Class M107

Our cabin was spectacular. We were fortunate to nab the exact same one from our Regal cruise last October on the same itinerary. We have stayed in Suites and mini-suites before, but, hands down this is the best cabin of them all. On many other lines this cabin would be considered a suite. Most of the big suites on Cunard are in the front of the ship. The very appealing thing here is the cabin is comprised of two distinct rooms.

There is a bedroom with three closets, a large flat screen television, ample lighting plus a gigantic picture window over the ship’s bow. The bed is one of the most comfortable I’ve ever slept on, soft as cloud. The living area has a sofa, chair, writing desk as you would find in a standard balcony cabin. Bathroom is roomy with a shower and decent sink area. But, the piece de resistance is that magnificent sprawling bridge wing balcony steps away from the living room.

This year our enormous Club Class balcony featured nice cushioned teak chaise lounges plus a smaller table with two chairs. We planned a great Sail Away Cruise Critic Bash. I knew we had a lot of space but, was concerned if all 67 people showed up there’d be enough room. At least 50 plus clinked champagne glasses with us on that balcony as we cruised under the Verrazano and beyond, there was room for many more.

Club Class Cabin Perks– the teak chaise lounges, two bottles of Robert Mondavi wine, one white one red and evening canapes. We requested the canapes at 5 pm and they were always delivered at that hour precisely.

Forward Cabin & Ocean Motion

Generally,we found the forward location of the cabin to be very smooth. Sometimes atnight when the seas are a bit choppy, you feel it, but, once you get into bed it’s like being lulled to sleep in a rocking chair. There was one evening heading to Halifax when the water was a bit bouncy. It felt like jet turbulence. There were times when you felt that dropping sensation as the ship lurched through the waves.

If you’re an experienced cruiser it’s not that bad.It’s the trade-off for a truly spectacular cabin, a trade off we’ll gladly takeevery time.

Cabin Television

We certainly don’t go on cruises to watch television. But, after a long day touring ports there are some nights when it’s just nice to return to your stateroom and relax with a good film. Princess has a terrific selection of complementary films available. There are at least 50 films in categories like drama, thriller, science fiction and children’s films. Some of them were recent titles like the latest Pirates of the Caribbean. Not many lines include films to watch on cabin televisions, high marks to Princess for generously offering them.

Cabin Steward

Michael did an excellent job of cleaning and caring for our cabin. The bed was always made up, the room tidied when we returned from breakfast. He graciously gave us fresh soap and water glasses daily without our even asking. He was extremely friendly, knew our names and always greeted us with a smile. He was around in the corridor when we needed him but, we never returned to find him cleaning the room.

Club Class Pointer– You have the option of requesting hors doeuvres every day. However, you must fill out the door hanger card with your choices and hang it on your cabin door handle each day in order to receive them.

Club Class Dining

Any Time

We typically choose Traditional Late on all of our cruises. I have always read mixed reviews about Any Time Dining. In theory it’s a great idea, but, often it seems the follow through is less than perfect. Well, Princess has really nailed it with Club Class. Sure, you have to pay a few dollars more, but, what a pleasure to arrive at the Concerto Dining room every night at 7 pm and be seated immediately.

We’d be buttering our rolls and enjoying appetizers while the regular Any Time Dining Line was at least 20 people deep. It took a good 15 minutes for the regular AnyTime Diners to be seated. It’s much easier for Princess to quickly accommodate Club Class diners because this restaurant section is much smaller.

Most evenings there were only around six or seven tables max in the Club Class section.

Club Class Service

Our Club Class waiters and waitresses in the Concerto Dining room were excellent. From Ana Maria in the evening to Zayda in the morning, both welcomed us with friendly smiles, brisk service and attention to detail; remembering I enjoyed a Sprite with dinner or the bottle of wine stored away. Maitre D’ Lofti was very professional. Each night he would stop by our table to make sure everything was fine.

We really appreciated Lofti welcoming us into the dining room for breakfast after we had arrived late due to a time change glitch.

Last year we dined at the Allegro in Traditional Late and the service was nowhere near as expeditious as what we experienced in Club Class.

There were often long gaps between servings and the wait staff seemed much more harried in the traditional dining set-up. All of the staff work very hard in Club Class , from the moment you are seated with a smile by Lisette the assistant Maitre D’ to the minute you stroll out of the restaurant you are treated royally.

Club Class Chef July

One of the absolute highlights of Club Class Dining is the incomparable Chef July. This talented and friendly Bulgarian culinary superstar heightened the excitement of each meal. From the exquisite crepes each morning to the delicate and exotic treats he concocted at night.

Some on Cruise Critic have been rather blasé over the private chef, but, we were tickled to have a master chef create special meals for us. One evening we arrived in the dining room as the tantalizing smell of garlic lingered in the air. No sooner was Chef July cooking us up an appetizer of the most tender,scrumptious garlic shrimp.

Princess bills the table side dining. It’s not quite the old school service where they flambe your bananas before your eyes. If you are facing the door you can spy Chef July adroitly creating another sumptuous offering. We didn’t find it any less entertaining or delectable to not see the dishes created. We were awed by each bite once the master chef plated the meals before us.

Congratulations to Princess for adding a Private Chef to Club Class Dining. Having a dedicated chef prepare special meals for you each day really ups the ante and further enhances the already superior and highly enjoyable experience of cruising on board the Regal Princess.

Club Class Pointer

Each evening from 5 to 7pm Club 6 on Deck 6 has a Happy Hour for Elite, Platinum and Suite passengers that also includes complimentary hors doeuvres. We were able to partake of this appealing spot by virtue of our Club Class cabin. There’s also a different signature drink offered every evening. Club 6 was often quite empty during this time. The service is speedy and the nearby windows let you gaze out at the sparkling lights of Boston or the cobalt blue waves of the Atlantic.

Churchills

Just adjacent to Club 6 on the Starboard side the wood laminate walls of this lounge make for a cozy spot for a post meal puff. There are also two televisions in here that are often tuned to the football game of the week or baseball playoffs. Sheena from Club 6 took our bar orders here and was wonderfully attentive. She always informed us when it was 2 for 1 Happy Hour, remembered our names was courteous and very friendly.

Alternate Dining Venues

Horizon Court

We enjoyed lunch here during our port stop in Newport. The tacos were tasty, fortified with all the fixings from ground beef, guacamole, tomato, lettuce and cheese sauce.The dessert section is always eye catching, usually a nice soufflé, warm brownies or creamed cake to enjoy. My favorites were the peanut butter cookies. The down side of this bustling bistro is that not every food offering is on display in a central location. In order to sample the full menu you have to walk to and additional section along a corridor which is a bit of a nuisance when you’re juggling plates and saucers.

Trident Grill

Is our favorite spot for lunch on board. This inviting spot up on Lido Deck, 16 was the perfect place to enjoy a relaxing repast. Here we enjoyed juicy hamburgers and hot dogs. The adjacent Mermaids Tail Bar furnished us with sodas to go with our lunch. Service here is quick. On port days this deck is practically empty.If nothing tickles your fancy at Horizon head for the Grill, you won’t be disappointed.

Gelato

We shared a gelato sundae here one afternoon. The décor is very enchanting, a little candyland cove just off of the Piazza on Deck 5. Unfortunately, the gelato itself misses the mark. This creamy dessert was too frozen and lacked any flavor. Perhaps just a regular ice cream shop would work better as gelato has a short shelf life.

Club Class Priority Tenders

This is another area that could use some fine tuning. Princess advertises that Club Class passengers will receive Priority tender passage. However, there is no explanation on how this is to be accomplished. Ideally, it would be great if upon arrival in your stateroom you found an envelope with a selection of Priority Tender tickets. At the Newport stop I spoke with the Front Desk and a very helpful security officer, accompanied us to the tender deck to board before anyone else.

Currently, the crew only recognize the black Elite on board cards as Tender Priority. I’m sure they will figure it out eventually.

Entertainment

Wethoroughly enjoyed the entertainment on board. Bravo, a song and dance revue, consisting of many great Broadway and contemporary standards, was very enjoyable. All of the performers and the band were really sharp, very entertaining.

Maitre D’hotel Wine Club

We signedup for this wine tasting event during our embarkation lunch at the ConcertoDining Room, so glad we did. This well attended event took place at 3:30 pm inthe Allegro Dining Room on deck 5 just before we set sail from Saint John, NB. We were treated to six premium wines from Italy, USA, Chile and France. Eachsip enhanced by a bite of hors doeuvre or signature Norman Love chocolate thatwas provided in a several dishes on each table. The two Maitre D’s took us on avery informative and funny journey of wines, their creation and how to appreciate them.

All in allwe had a tremendous cruise on board the Regal Princess. She is a class act, a delightfulship and one that we look forward to voyage on board again very soon.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Jonathon, nice final recap of your live review. Really enjoyed following along. You did a wonderful job and we appreciated you making time during your cruise to entertain us. Makes us more anxious to board the Regal on Oct. 26. Best of cruising to you in the future.

Just want to say hi to Barb (BarbinMich) and her husband since she posted on this thread. Been a few years since we cruised together.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Jonathon, nice final recap of your live review. Really enjoyed following along. You did a wonderful job and we appreciated you making time during your cruise to entertain us. Makes us more anxious to board the Regal on Oct. 26. Best of cruising to you in the future.

Just want to say hi to Barb (BarbinMich) and her husband since she posted on this thread. Been a few years since we cruised together.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Thank you very much for all of your great comments along the way.

Best of cruising to you to Ken & Darlene. Hope we get the chance share a sail away with you guys in the near future.

Have a wonderful cruise on the beautiful Regal.

Jonathan

OP can you tell us about disembark..did you do self/what time did you leave etc

Luckyinpa,

We did not self-disembark.

Our disembark time was 9:30 am, we were called about 9:40 am. Our meeting spot was the Casino.

Club Class apparently does not feature priority disembark or a nicer lounge, which is a shame.

We spent our time waiting in Churchills, which was empty. The Debark communication could have been better. But, in the end we only left the ship 10 minutes late.

NOTE

Do yourself a favor and get a luggage porters to grab your cases. I tip then $10 a case and they take you to the front of the immigration Line which is a big deal.

You will out of the port and in the car-pick-up line in minutes. Worth every penny.

Have a great cruise.

Jonathan