Live from Regal Princess 9/23/17

cruiserking

Boston Ma.

Princess offers a shuttle from the pier to Quincy Market for $15.95 round trip per person. We opted for a cab instead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you so much for doing a live report! I'll be boarding the Regal in 11 days and I'm trying to learn from all the useful tips you're sharing.

Why did you choose to use a cab instead of the Princess shuttle? Do you know how often the shuttle ran? We are thinking of using Uber to get to the Freedom Trail unless the Princess shuttle would be a better alternative.

Thank you for your time sharing your cruise with us!

P.S. Thanks for the tip on the cannoli! That's something I want to do..in addition to eating a lobster roll in every port.

Melissa

Many use the subway in Boston, the Silverline Bus which takes you underground stop right at the beginning of the pier that you are at. It cost last time I was there $2.00 to anywhere in Boston they also offer an all day pass for $8.00 unless it went up. You can down load maps and info online. I'm posting this for the next group if anyone's interested.

framer

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you so much for doing a live report! I'll be boarding the Regal in 11 days and I'm trying to learn from all the useful tips you're sharing.

Why did you choose to use a cab instead of the Princess shuttle? Do you know how often the shuttle ran? We are thinking of using Uber to get to the Freedom Trail unless the Princess shuttle would be a better alternative.

Thank you for your time sharing your cruise with us!

P.S. Thanks for the tip on the cannoli! That's something I want to do..in addition to eating a lobster roll in every port.

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

We find the cab is usually faster and cheaper. You don't have to wait for a bus to fill up, you just go. If the traffic is light it's about a $12 ride each way.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Hi Jonathan.

Lots of work for you to post daily. Hope you can still find time to enjoy the ports and the ship. We love the love boat horn and even listen to it when we can when the Regal sails from Fort Lauderdale. Fun that the Sunshine appreciated it also. I have a cruise friend sailing on her 10/7 and will tell him to listen for it. Keep having fun. Esther

Many use the subway in Boston, the Silverline Bus which takes you underground stop right at the beginning of the pier that you are at. It cost last time I was there $2.00 to anywhere in Boston they also offer an all day pass for $8.00 unless it went up. You can down load maps and info online. I'm posting this for the next group if anyone's interested.

framer

Thank you for the suggestion Framer!

Hi Melissa,

We find the cab is usually faster and cheaper. You don't have to wait for a bus to fill up, you just go. If the traffic is light it's about a $12 ride each way.

Jonathan

Thank you Jonathan!

Hope you have a great time in Saint John tomorrow!

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Jonathan

Hi Melissa,

I lived in Boston Jonathan is giving you great advice. Uber is probably the cheaper then a Taxi. It’s about a

15 to 20 minute ride. I used to live five minutes from Paul Revere’s house in the Italian section of the North End. If you like good Italian pastry go to Modern pastry on Hanover Street. Most tourist will be at Mike’s. IMO it’s not as good. I have 60 years of experience eating Italian pastry :D :D.

Tony

Hi Melissa,

I lived in Boston Jonathan is giving you great advice. Uber is probably the cheaper then a Taxi. It’s about a

15 to 20 minute ride. I used to live five minutes from Paul Revere’s house in the Italian section of the North End. If you like good Italian pastry go to Modern pastry on Hanover Street. Most tourist will be at Mike’s. IMO it’s not as good. I have 60 years of experience eating Italian pastry :D :D.

Tony

Tony is right. Don't be fooled by the line outside Mike's pastry. Their canolis sit all day with the filling pre-piped, they get soggy.

Modern is the place to go right on the Main Drag on Hanover street.

Correction:

Xcite is the name of the house band.

Jonathan

Tony is right. Don't be fooled by the line outside Mike's pastry. Their canolis sit all day with the filling pre-piped, they get soggy.

Modern is the place to go right on the Main Drag on Hanover street.

Correction:

Xcite is the name of the house band.

Jonathan

Hi Melissa,

Tony

Thank you Tony and Jonathan!

I have Modern Pastry on my list of places to visit! I've also bookmarked it in Yelp. Their pastries look incredibly good in the pics I saw and I like that the cannolis are freshly piped! Plus, gotta trust a local who has 60 years of experience eating Italian pastries! 😊

Melissa

Hi Jonathan 😀

Big thank you for your live reports. We sail away on Regal on Oct 7.

Multi cruiser here, but first time to New England. Your tips are awesome. Drooling over your cannoli report and have added that stop to our list to do and eats!

Can you please tell us which nights are the formal nights? A girl has some planning to do. Thanks again Jonathan.

🍸🛳️🎉Leeann

Hi Jonathan 😀

Big thank you for your live reports. We sail away on Regal on Oct 7.

Multi cruiser here, but first time to New England. Your tips are awesome. Drooling over your cannoli report and have added that stop to our list to do and eats!

Can you please tell us which nights are the formal nights? A girl has some planning to do. Thanks again Jonathan.

🍸🛳️🎉Leeann

Hi Leeann,

The formal nights are on the the second and the fifth night. Have a wonderful cruise on board Regal, she is just a stunner.

Jonathan

Thank you Tony and Jonathan!

I have Modern Pastry on my list of places to visit! I've also bookmarked it in Yelp. Their pastries look incredibly good in the pics I saw and I like that the cannolis are freshly piped! Plus, gotta trust a local who has 60 years of experience eating Italian pastries! [emoji4]

Melissa

I added it to my list too![emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

cruiserking.... thanks so much for this live review. We are going on our 1st ever Princess cruise and we booked a club class cabin A426- if you have a chance and could swing by it I would love to know your thoughts on this location. I have never had a cabin forward on a ship mostly due to the movement- is it bad?? I like and prefer to stay closer to the middle.

I am excited for the club class dining and the associated perks as well. Thanks for such a great review so far. Was the check in easy?? We will be departing from FLL so I know they set up there might be different. I'd surely take any tips you can offer. Thanks and enjoy your cruise.

Hi Cindy,

Maybe we will run into you at Modern Bakery! I have my new A&M sweatshirt for embarkation day!

Melissa

I don't have an A&M shirt I feel like wearing to board. Maybe I'll have to do a little shopping before the game on Saturday![emoji23]

Great! That was my thought when I looked at the deck plans.[emoji16]

For the best photos I usually go higher on the open decks than the aft deck behind Horizon--the latter has a fairly low ceiling (which makes it a great shaded place to relax at other times). IMHO, you really need a broad sweep of sky to get the lower Manhattan skyline in its glory. When entering a port I go forward to the higher decks.

For the best photos I usually go higher on the open decks than the aft deck behind Horizon--the latter has a fairly low ceiling (which makes it a great shaded place to relax at other times). IMHO, you really need a broad sweep of sky to get the lower Manhattan skyline in its glory. When entering a port I go forward to the higher decks.

How about the outside sitting area of the Promenade deck mid ship?

Thanks! I'll check it out before muster drill. Unfortunately it's not ALL about my pictures. I'll have to see what the rest of my group wants to do!

Jonathan:

I can see Regal docked in Halifax (love that place). You are with CCL (sunshine?) and Holland America Veendam or Volendam. Weather looks unpleasant, cold and rainy. Wonderful port cam there-even saw where Lisa and walked around and the S. Cunard statue. Hope you are having a great time and much as I am checking out the Regal in ports.

Bar Harbor, Maine

9/26/17

Another sunny day greeted us as we steamed into Bar Harbor, Maine. The mighty Cadillac Mountain dominating the scenery with a great sweater of foliage.

The HAL Zuiderdam cruised in shortly after and weighed anchor between a pair of thickly forested islands. A short tender ride later and we were strolling along the quiet, inviting streets of this down to earth town.

We love Bar Harbor and take great delight perusing it’s many shops. From collectible nostalgia to crafts, cooking ware and variety of outerwear embossed with the town name, it’s all here.

We stopped at Fiore and wonderful artisinal vinegar shop we discovered on a food walking tour last year. Here they have the most delicious blends with flavors like pineapple, raspberry and pistachio. There are dozens of varieties to sample, a stack of tasting cups sits next to each urn. We purchased a trio of flavors and then relaxed in the nearby park with an ice cold bottle of Moxie.

The fall colors have not yet fully bloomed in Bar Harbor but, there are pockets where the seasonal display catches your eyes like the burst pumpkin orange of a lone tree.

We lunched at a favorite local bistro, the Independent Café, they make a terrific lobster roll and a delicious frozen coffee drink called the Jean Arcadian. Such a quintessential American town with its post office, wrought iron main street clock, book store, art deco styled movie marquis and posters advertising the local community theater. There’s even an improv group here too. What a great place to rent a summer house and escape the concrete and the crowds of the New York summer.

With our haul of souvenir hats, jackets and vinegar we made our way back to the tender port. A late afternoon balcony nap basking in the soothing sun was a great elixir and the crowning touch on this Regal cruise day.

It would be our last sunny day of this cruise. But, the rainy weathered hasn’t dampened our spirits as we are enjoying every minute on board this fabulous ship. It is a mantra we find ourselves repeating a lot, each time Chef July bestows a special creation before us, each time we relax in a beautiful lounge or experience the first-class service of the friendly crew on board, “I love this ship”.

You will too.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app