NCL Cruise Service Charge Refund

bussub

The contract is "clear"? How do you figure?

snip

Second, it mentions nothing about not having to give a reason. Nothing in the contact "clearly" states that you are reason-free in your thinking. Nothing in the contact prevents them from requesting or requiring a reason.

dis·cre·tion

dəˈskreSH(ə)n/

noun

noun: discretion

1. 2.
    the freedom to decide what should be done in a particular situation.
    "it is up to local authorities to use their discretion in setting the charges"

dis·cre·tion

dəˈskreSH(ə)n/

noun

noun: discretion

1. 2.
    the freedom to decide what should be done in a particular situation.
    "it is up to local authorities to use their discretion in setting the charges"

clear·ly

ˈklirlē

adverb

adverb: clearly

1. in such a way as to allow easy and accurate perception or interpretation.
  2. without doubt; obviously.

FWIW, the meaning of "discretion" wasn't being debated. It was whether or not the contract was clear when it came to removal vs adjustment and whether or not a reason could be required.

Clearly you missed that. ;p

I admit I didn't read every word of every post so I apologize if this was already discussed:

Is anyone SURE that tips given directly to your room steward or waiter or whatever are actually theirs to keep? I've heard conflicting stories. The one I've heard the most is that if you don't delete or reduce the DSC, then they can keep the money. Otherwise it is put in the pool.

clear·ly

ˈklirlē

adverb

adverb: clearly

1. in such a way as to allow easy and accurate perception or interpretation.
  2. without doubt; obviously.

FWIW, the meaning of "discretion" wasn't being debated. It was whether or not the contract was clear when it came to removal vs adjustment and whether or not a reason could be required.

Clearly you missed that. ;p

didn't miss it, its right here "The charge ,which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, isintended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employeesaccording to Carrier's evaluation of job performance" Adustment at your discretion. Seems pretty clear to me. But I'm not a lawyer.

Based on rumors and opinions posted on CC? Hmmmm.

There were somethings read directly from contract that caught my eye. Don't we all make decisions based on whatever info is avail to us, and we have to hope we did the best we could with avail info?

didn't miss it, its right here "The charge ,which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, isintended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employeesaccording to Carrier's evaluation of job performance" Adustment at your discretion. Seems pretty clear to me. But I'm not a lawyer.

Wow. That is very clear. I should be able to remove it quite easily, but from what I have read on the boards, I can no longer remove it with NCL.

The cruise contract is clear, (US Contract) You can remove or adjust the service charge at your discretion. You do not need to explain your reasons or thinking, in fact no one on the ship has the right to question your choice. I would never allow any crew member to question me about my choices.

That may be. But, I can guarantee that if you contact any cruise line (i.e. NCL, RCCL, CCL, etc) about wanting to remove any tips or service charges, they’ll want to know why. That’s just the reality of it.

That may be. But, I can guarantee that if you contact any cruise line (i.e. NCL, RCCL, CCL, etc) about wanting to remove any tips or service charges, they’ll want to know why. That’s just the reality of it.

They can ask and the reason could simply be "because I can". I have never done it but it does appear clear that you CAN remove it. I however don't feel as if you SHOULD remove/reduce it unless something significant occurs that either is not or can not be remedied on board.

Wow. That is very clear. I should be able to remove it quite easily, but from what I have read on the boards, I can no longer remove it with NCL.

Go to customer relations on board, say you want to adjust service charges - they ask by how much (even to zero) no questions asked, reflected on your on board account the next day.

No drama.

and what about those behind the scenes?

My personal opinion on tipping 'behind the scenes' personnel is I have no obligation. The person washing my towels, washing dishes, etc hasn't gone above and beyond. They are simply doing the job they were hired and paid to do. If they do not have face to face contact with me while giving me service I do not tip them. Simple as that.

Over the years the tip entitlement has gotten out of control. Everyone thinks they should get a piece of the pie for simply doing their job. It's ridiculous. I have the power to tip who I think deserve a tip, or don't, and I exercise that power.

My personal opinion on tipping 'behind the scenes' personnel is I have no obligation. The person washing my towels, washing dishes, etc hasn't gone above and beyond. They are simply doing the job they were hired and paid to do. If they do not have face to face contact with me while giving me service I do not tip them. Simple as that.

Over the years the tip entitlement has gotten out of control. Everyone thinks they should get a piece of the pie for simply doing their job. It's ridiculous. I have the power to tip who I think deserve a tip, or don't, and I exercise that power.

Agreed but others here believe they can infringed upon your rights if you do not agree with them. In the end whatever posters here say really has not effect upon the fact that the cruise agreement is the contract, and under the contract you can adjust or remove at your discretion.

I admit I didn't read every word of every post so I apologize if this was already discussed:

Is anyone SURE that tips given directly to your room steward or waiter or whatever are actually theirs to keep? I've heard conflicting stories. The one I've heard the most is that if you don't delete or reduce the DSC, then they can keep the money. Otherwise it is put in the pool.

How would they know that we handed a tip directly to someone (unless a crew member reports it)? We handed our last room steward on the Breakaway an extra tip to buy something for his daughter because he missed her so much. I sure hope he got to keep it!

And in certain circumstances on some ships, we have noticed the lack of good service or immediate service now that they know their tips are guaranteed and not at the discretion of the passenger!

How would they know that we handed a tip directly to someone (unless a crew member reports it)? We handed our last room steward on the Breakaway an extra tip to buy something for his daughter because he missed her so much. I sure hope he got to keep it!

We used to do what was called "integrity tests", an NCL employee could be placed on board as a regular pax to do that and test so much more. Once you catch the first one everyone else knows not to do it. Should be a "quality control" undercover employee on every cruise if it was my decision.

And in certain circumstances on some ships, we have noticed the lack of good service or immediate service now that they know their tips are guaranteed and not at the discretion of the passenger!

DH had really poor service on Carnival; for me I'm not as particular as he is. He'd order a drink with lemon, it came with lime, he'd order a well-done burger, it would come out with red in the middle, that type of thing. A lot of it appeared to be language-related; a lot more appeared to be indifference in his opinion. Yes, this was with DSC.

I have had nothing but outstanding NCL service, I will say that! Even DH didn't complain. And this was also with DSC of course.

I'm kinda in agreement with Wyoming2010 that there's far less incentive to give more than the minimum required for the job because it's not going to affect their compensation, since they are guaranteed their percentage of the DSC, whatever that is, and from all the talk on these boards, extra tips are the exception and not the norm "I've already tipped $xxx (always in the hundreds), I'm not going to tip more (unless I have MAJOR outstanding service)" so where's the incentive?

Regardless of how much of it goes directly to the employees -bottom line is it is less money the company is getting so the more people that start doing this - we will all pay more for our cruises. Its like shoplifters- they cause higher prices for everyone. I am certain this factors in to our pricing & when cruise prices start going up, we can all thank the non-tippers (at least in part. I am not saying this is the only reason prices increase)

Regardless of how much of it goes directly to the employees -bottom line is it is less money the company is getting so the more people that start doing this - we will all pay more for our cruises. Its like shoplifters- they cause higher prices for everyone. I am certain this factors in to our pricing & when cruise prices start going up, we can all thank the non-tippers (at least in part. I am not saying this is the only reason prices increase)

So you say Blame the Non Tippers for this...... How about blaming the real cause of this.... the cruise line has put a system in place to allow them to underpay the staff and then try to get the guest to make up the difference while all the time they are stealing money from the automatic gratuities . The only choice guest have if they believe in principles, integrity, and honor is to remove the automatic gratuities .

And if CEO Del Rio believes my statement above is a defamatory statement please file a lawsuit against me..... but it will not happen because Mr Del Rio does not want to be required to explain how these fees are collected and who is paid from them.

So you say Blame the Non Tippers for this...... How about blaming the real cause of this.... the cruise line has put a system in place to allow them to underpay the staff and then try to get the guest to make up the difference while all the time they are stealing money from the automatic gratuities . The only choice guest have if they believe in principles, integrity, and honor is to remove the automatic gratuities .

And if CEO Del Rio believes my statement above is a defamatory statement please file a lawsuit against me..... but it will not happen because Mr Del Rio does not want to be required to explain how these fees are collected and who is paid from them.

I guess my question would be what a PP stated -- if their treatment of employees and the monies paid are so bad, why do they stay with NCL?

I guess my question would be what a PP stated -- if their treatment of employees and the monies paid are so bad, why do they stay with NCL?
Because they aren't paid so bad or treated badly and pretty much every other cruise line has the same business model. What I don't understand, if someone feels what NCL and the other cruise lines are are doing is so bad, then why do they continue to give them money (their cruise fare) and do business with them. If I thought a business was unethical, I certainly wouldn't be doing business with them. If folks are going to accuse NCL of stealing money from the DSC, then I would certainly hope, if they want anyone to believe them, they would provide proof, but no one ever has....so what does that tell you. Edited by NLH Arizona

... the cruise line has put a system in place to allow them to underpay the staff and then try to get the guest to make up the difference while all the time they are stealing money from the automatic gratuities .

If NCL completely eliminated the DSC but raised cruise fare to (more than) make up the difference, what would you do? The employees and executives would make the same amount and the guest would pay the same or likely more.

The only choice guest have if they believe in principles, integrity, and honor is to remove the automatic gratuities .
...or don't cruise with NCL.

As long as the ships sail at capacity or more, I doubt that FDR cares about anything posted by a DSC remover/reducer.

Because they aren't paid so bad or treated badly and pretty much every other cruise line has the same business model. What I don't understand, if someone feels what NCL and the other cruise lines are are doing is so bad, then why do they continue to give them money (their cruise fare) and do business with them. If I thought a business was unethical, I certainly wouldn't be doing business with them. If folks are going to accuse NCL of stealing money from the DSC, then I would certainly hope, if they want anyone to believe them, they would provide proof, but no one ever has....so what does that tell you.

Amen!

Don't complain about the company...and go and book 3 more cruises over the next 2 years only to complain more. Have some ethics and integrity of your own. If you really feel NCL is screwing over both it's employees and customers...stop booking NCL cruises. Or just shut up.