For The "Savy" Cruiser

mellon1

OK...this may stump many of all you die hard cruisers who know ALL. Been saving points forever with Princess and now they changed it...just as we were going to get enough points for a free cruise...and we can't get a free cruise. It comes out to 1% back. That sucks....sorry. What credit card do you recommend with the most cash back for "WHATEVER" you want to spend it on....OF COURSE A CRUISE!

I know this is a difficult question, but thought some of you may have something better to use than the Princess VISA. I am quite upset as we planned on this.

Thanks.

Mary

I can't recommend any credit cards, but I can tell you if you spend over $4000 with Princess on one transaction and then ask for your points to be applied as a statement credit against that $4000+ transaction, you will get 2% back. If you really saved that much, it may cover that entire amount and you will still get your free cruise. It might take a little haggling with Barclay because I'm not sure if they have their show together yet, but that is how it is supposed to work. Bonne Chance!

OK...this may stump many of all you die hard cruisers who know ALL. Been saving points forever with Princess and now they changed it...just as we were going to get enough points for a free cruise...and we can't get a free cruise. It comes out to 1% back. That sucks....sorry. What credit card do you recommend with the most cash back for "WHATEVER" you want to spend it on....OF COURSE A CRUISE!

I know this is a difficult question, but thought some of you may have something better to use than the Princess VISA. I am quite upset as we planned on this.

Thanks.

Mary

If you live close to a Sam's or a Costco, their cards pay CASH BACK of 3% on all travel including cruises, airfare, hotels, rental cars, dining, etc. Costco does 4% on gas, 2% on costco purchases, and 1% on all other purchases. Best thing is it is a CASH BACK card. You get a check once a year which you do have to cash at Costco. One of the very best features is CASH is always combinable with all offers and promos on all cruise lines. You're not limited to one cruise line to use your CASH but can use it on any line. I have never had an issue with getting my rewards.

If you live close to a Sam's or a Costco, their cards pay CASH BACK of 3% on all travel including cruises, airfare, hotels, rental cars, dining, etc. Costco does 4% on gas, 2% on costco purchases, and 1% on all other purchases. Best thing is it is a CASH BACK card. You get a check once a year which you do have to cash at Costco. One of the very best features is CASH is always combinable with all offers and promos on all cruise lines. You're not limited to one cruise line to use your CASH but can use it on any line. I have never had an issue with getting my rewards.

Funny got gas @ Sams and picked up the CC pamphlet. It sounds like you have to spend your cash back at Sams though?? True??

Funny got gas @ Sams and picked up the CC pamphlet. It sounds like you have to spend your cash back at Sams though?? True??

I don’t know about Sam’s Club but we have a Costco Citi card. When you get your check every year from CitiBank you cash it at Costco but do not need to spend it there. We use this card whenever we can. Of course if you don’t pay off your balance every month, there is no benefit.

Cheers, Denise

I use the Chase Sapphire Reserve card. 3x points on all travel and dining. It has a $450 annual fee, but you get a $300 annual credit for travel expenses and all points earned are worth 1.5x if used for travel (so basically 4.5% back).

Yep. I use the Chase Sapphire Reserve too. It also gives you travel insurance as well. Pretty good deal if you spend at least $4,000/yr (to qualify for $300 credit). Plus 100,000 miles just for signing up (I think this may have recently been reduced to 50,000).

Chase Sapphire Preferred . Double points for travel and restaurants and points are worth 25% extra when used for travel.

Isn't that 25% only if you book the cruise through their travel company?

We love that it's so easy to switch the points to Southwest (or take it in cash), even before you pay the bill!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Isn't that 25% only if you book the cruise through their travel company?

We love that it's so easy to switch the points to Southwest (or take it in cash), even before you pay the bill!

Yes,

that's true but not a problem at all. We have booked several Princes cruises using the Sapphire card. We use whatever points we have and pay the rest with the credit card when the balance is due. Once again earning double points. Also, using a future cruise deposit along with the points is not a problem there is a website named The Points Guy and he highly recommends this card for travelers.

Yes,

that's true but not a problem at all. We have booked several Princes cruises using the Sapphire card. We use whatever points we have and pay the rest with the credit card when the balance is due. Once again earning double points. Also, using a future cruise deposit along with the points is not a problem there is a website named The Points Guy and he highly recommends this card for travelers.

We've never booked through their travel agent because ours gives us such good deals. Do they give discounts on princess?

IMO

I would not use a credit card that required me to use their TA to redeem points or $$ for travel.

That eliminates taking advantage of TA's who offer incentives and/or discounts to book with them.

Especially with Princess Cruises where TA's are free to offer anything once you contact the TA.

IMO

I would not use a credit card that required me to use their TA to redeem points or $$ for travel.

That eliminates taking advantage of TA's who offer incentives and/or discounts to book with them.

Especially with Princess Cruises where TA's are free to offer anything once you contact the TA.

It doesn't require you to.. just gives you extra points if you do, if I'm reading it right. I get the cash back and can use it however I want. But I was curious what they offer if you do use their TA.

I also have the Chase preferred but have thought about switching to reserved for travel credit. Getting 2x points on travel and food is great. And it does mean all restaurants. I'm planning on using my points toward flights for next years TA.

As an aside I also have the Southwest card as they are my go to for domestic travel. They've got a great signing bonus too if you spend enough in first three months. Something like 50k points.

We have a Costco Citi Visa that we use for our travel. We have over $2300 in rewards this year already. You do NOT have to cash the check at Costco. They will issue you a business check that you can take to your bank to deposit. They certainly don't expect you to spend these types of amounts at Costco and then give you the remainder in cash at the register.

To each his own. 25% works for me.

Each point you redeem for travel booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards is worth $.0125 (one and a quarter cents), which means that 100 points equals $1.25 in redemption value, and points are worth 25% more than if redeemed for cash.

I don’t want a card that gives you points for any one particular company. I want the cash back to spend as I want. I use the Citi Double Cash Card. I get 2% cash back on all of my purchases. I don’t have to worry about which purchases get a higher percent back. BTW, there is no fee for this card.