Travel Insurance

packedandready

Went to insuremytrip to compare. My mind is now spinning. Cruise deposit was made over a year ago so not looking for "cancel for any reason". Other than medical evac what are some of the things you look at? Many of the policies look very similar so I'm afraid of missing something important. Any tips would be appreciated.

As for amount of coverage I'm looking at cruise fare and flights. Used points for hotel so wouldn't think I would need to add it.

I look at trip cancellation & trip interuption ins

We had to cancel a trip the morning we were to fly to Miami to go on a 3 wk cruise

Then another time had to cancel day 6 of a 16 day cruise

both were covered & we got refunded by insurance co

If confused call & talk to someone at the insurance company to be sure you are covered for things that are important to you

some just get medical & do not worry if they cancel before they sail

it is not a one size fits all purchase

You probably also want a large amount of medical coverage -- those costs add up very quickly in an emergency. Many US insurance policies (including Medicare) do NOT cover costs outside the US. Also consider evacuation insurance.

The cruise fare & air fare will be small compared to medical costs.

There's lots of good advice on the various insurance threads.

Good luck!

Most important to us - medical and evacuation coverage. Second most important, cancellation/delay coverage. Anything else is a bonus, if we get it.

I love that comparison site, you can select any number of policies to compare side by side. Makes it easier for eliminating the ones that don't give me what I want as I just go down the list.

I also find, that I don't usually go with the cheapest one, either.

Don't assume what, if anything, your current medical insurance will cover. Call them and get the facts. I have a "Medicare replacement" policy that covers me anywhere outside the US. Before I was Medicare eligible, my policy also covered me.

That being the case my biggest concern is the evacuation coverage. I also want a pre-existing condition waiver, so I only consider policies that include that which pretty much means I need to buy early.

It's a personal choice but I prefer a policy where the insurer acts as your primary insurer. In other words by going this route I can submit bills to them and they will not first ask me to check with my regular insurance company. I just find this easier should I have any medical expenses needing reimbursement.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Confusion here. We put down a $100 per person deposit for a future cruise with Celebrity back in 2014 and now we have a transatlantic booked for next April. Question: how do we get insurance that covers cancellation for any reason including pre-existing medical condition?

Confusion here. We put down a $100 per person deposit for a future cruise with Celebrity back in 2014 and now we have a transatlantic booked for next April. Question: how do we get insurance that covers cancellation for any reason including pre-existing medical condition?

You'd have to find an insurer that would cover those things. Since you didn't purchase the insurance within the (small) window after initial deposit, you'll be paying more for it, but there are companies that do cover it.

Try the various travel insurance comparison sites. There you'll put in the parameters of what you want covered, and they'll find policies that will fit the bill.

Only a handful of insurers will waive preexisting conditions if you didn't purchase the policy within 2-3 weeks of first deposit (time limit varies).

You could check Nationwide, which has waivers up until final payment. But, make sure the rest of the specifics meet your needs and means.

Watch out too for credit card included travel insurance. Most cards will not waive PECs that are responsible for cancellation/interruption.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As suggested check Nationwide. They offer cancel for any reason (add-on) and pre-existing condition coverage. I like that the pre-existing condition has a look back of only 60 days, many other policies are 90 or 120 days when purchased at time of final payment. We have found the cost to be comparable to the insurance we used to purchase at the time of booking.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Forums mobile app

Check insuremytrip.com. I've found a few insurers there whom will cover preexisting conditions (important for us) as long as the policy is purchased before final payment (or within 24 hours after).

It's helpful when you think there's a chance you'll cancel the booking some time before final payment.

I use Insure My Trip too. My priorities are very (high) good evacuation and medical payments--I look for the highest I can with a reasonable cost; usually not the cheapest or the most expensive. We usually book within the pre-existing conditions waiver period, although neither of us do have serious medical issues.

Other insured costs like lost baggage, delayed flight, cruise cancellation or interruption, etc., are less important to me, although I do look at them and have had to cancel trips 3 times because of elderly parent's health issues.

The agents at Insure My Trip are very helpful if you have questions. They are not allowed to recommend a particular policy but they are very good at answering questions and concerns.