Celebrity vs Royal Caribbean

ShaSco

RC is more laid back dress and Celebrity more upscale dress, RC more active where Celebrity gets quiet past 10:30pm, Suite perks much much better on Celebrity than RC, entertainment much better on RC.

Which one docks longer in the southern Caribbean islands also has to be considered.

RC is more laid back dress and Celebrity more upscale dress, RC more active where Celebrity gets quiet past 10:30pm, Suite perks much much better on Celebrity than RC, entertainment much better on RC.

Which one docks longer in the southern Caribbean islands also has to be considered.

What suite perks? Normally on RCCL suite but doing Summit in March in Sky suite

George C:

Its best to call the cruise line and check as things can change, but what I remember they offer a personal buyer service, private restaurant and I feel Celebrity's food is above RC, I believe they have a club lounge, priority check in and debarkation, in suite breakfast, lunch and dinner service, complimentary daily in suite espresso and cappuccino....push robes, reserved seating in theatre on certain nights...You may also receive the premium beverage package so check they offer it every now and then, you will receive captains club points I believe and you can receive a bottle of wine.

Call and see what they now offer as they seem to tweet here and there.

George C:

Its best to call the cruise line and check as things can change, but what I remember they offer a personal buyer service, private restaurant and I feel Celebrity's food is above RC, I believe they have a club lounge, priority check in and debarkation, in suite breakfast, lunch and dinner service, complimentary daily in suite espresso and cappuccino....push robes, reserved seating in theatre on certain nights...You may also receive the premium beverage package so check they offer it every now and then, you will receive captains club points I believe and you can receive a bottle of wine.

Call and see what they now offer as they seem to tweet here and there.

Thanks will get more info before cruise, also have GS on Oasis next year be interesting to compare all the perks and private dinning for suite only

On Celebrity, even the "little" suites get full suite perks: special dining room for suites at all meals, and suites can also go to Aqua class dining room if they choose, as well as main dining room if they choose; access to Michael's Club (free soda, water, adult beverages all day long; butler for any additional needs, and the suite package from Celebrity often includes OBC, free wifi, paid grat (but that's from Celebrity and may/may not have been in your package). In short, it's nice. : )

Your status is also interchangeable. If you are Diamond on Royal, you will be Elite on Celebrity. Join their Captains club before sailing and let them know your C/A number. This goes both ways.

That I know , my one and only Celebrity cruise I was elite, not much in perks this was about 8 years ago and was also in a very nice aft sky suite , only 5 points from diamond plus

That I know , my one and only Celebrity cruise I was elite, not much in perks this was about 8 years ago and was also in a very nice aft sky suite , only 5 points from diamond plus

You get a bag of laundry, 3 hour open bar in lounge, but they only honor up to Diamond. Diamond + is still Elite. Didn't the sky Suite come with Blu dining?

Any preferences for travel to Southern Caribbean?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A better comparison is ships than cruise lines. Then decide what's important to you. Not all RC ships are the same and suite perks (if that is impt) differ depending on the ship. Celebrity ships are not the same either.

A better comparison is ships than cruise lines. Then decide what's important to you. Not all RC ships are the same and suite perks (if that is impt) differ depending on the ship. Celebrity ships are not the same either.

Good comparison San Juan Royal has both radiance class and freedom class celebrity has the older M class out of

FL celebrity has Solstice class and Royal has another Radiance class and Voyager class going into Southern Caribbean.

Out of FL would look at the Equinox/Solstice but out f San Juan would favour Freedom or Jewel over Summit

Thanks will get more info before cruise, also have GS on Oasis next year be interesting to compare all the perks and private dinning for suite only

IMO suite experiences on Celebrity and RCL are different, one isn't better than the other but for Oasis class ships, I prefer RCL.

On Celebrity we were on a Sky suite and the in-suite experience with the butler was really great. Manner in which breakfast was served plus afternoon tea rounds were memorable. Plus 2 complementary meals in speciality restaurants with service in both restaurants being superior to anything RCL offers.

With RCL, the suite experience on Oasis class is amazing with the suite lounge and Coastal Kitchen being the highlight. They seemed to do well with giving the VIP experience outside of the suite. We were in Sky class and I understand that the Star Class experience with the dedicated genies is even better.

In other respects, Celebrity and RCL offer different experiences. Wrong to consider one to be better than other. A factor would be choice of ships as in both cases, latest classes offer better facilities.

Celebrity offers a more relaxing experience. A touch more elegance and focus on quality of service but with fewer activities.

BTW I disagree with some of the comments on this thread. It is a matter of taste with ship and itinerary a factor when it comes to comparing quality/choice of entertainment and food.

Just got back from a ten day on the Equinox. We were pleasantly surprised with the activities including Silent Disco etc. and found the entertainment enjoyable (except for the comedian on the first day). December '63 (Frankie Valli show) and the comedian James Stephens were outstanding. No complaints about the food. I was also surprised to see the dress code much more relaxed than when we went on the Solstice a few years ago.

There are a number of subtle differences...and many have already been mentioned in this thread. Not mentioned so far is one very important to me--How crowded is the ship? Celebrity ships are far less crowded--Fewer passengers per gross ton (Gross tonnage is a measure of space/volume, NOT weight). Celebrity ships' space-per-passenger ratios are among the best in the industry...so the ships always feel very spacious...and seats in various venues (showroom, lounges, pool deck) are easier to find. Also, it's not just the stated "double occupancy" figure. All ships have a "full occupancy--if all third and fourth berths are filled...and Celebrity tends to fill far less of its third and fourth berths--so, it's even less crowded.

Of course, that is more important to me...Other factors may be more important to you--We all have different standards and criteria. As noted, Celebrity is a more elegant and relaxed product, RCCL more amenities, activities and varied entertainment...though both cruise lines certainly provide enough in the way of activities and entertainment for most of us. If you are traveling with kids/teens, there's obviously more for them on RCCL ships--especially the newer ships. If it's just adults and you just want to relax, eat, drink and be entertained and don't really rock climb, ice skate or surf anyway, then, actually, more of the ship is aimed at you on Celebrity.

Now that our kids are grown and we usually cruise with just the two of us, we look to Celebrity first--though we still cruise quite a bit on both lines. Both will give you a very good cruise (though, IMHO, I think Celebrity is a step or two higher).

And, yes, also consider the ship, the precise itinerary and other factors. Don't worry too much about your Crown & Anchor/Captains Club status as (has been noted), they are reciprocal up to Diamond/Elite. If you are at that level, drinking hours on RCCL are a little longer, but Celebrity adds free laundry, a more usable internet benefit, wine tasting and other perks whereas RCCL adds a free photo, one day internet and a discount coupon on laundry. Either way, what you don't get in perks, you can just pay for--no big amounts here.

So, consider what YOU want in a cruise.

• 2 months later...
..... Celebrity ships' space-per-passenger ratios are among the best in the industry...so the ships always feel very spacious...and seats in various venues (showroom, lounges, pool deck) are easier to find. Also, it's not just the stated "double occupancy" figure. All ships have a "full occupancy--if all third and fourth berths are filled...and Celebrity tends to fill far less of its third and fourth berths--so, it's even less crowded.

If it's just adults and you just want to relax, eat, drink and be entertained and don't really rock climb, ice skate or surf anyway, then, actually, more of the ship is aimed at you on Celebrity.

So, consider what YOU want in a cruise.

You have voiced what I have never quite put into words. I like Celebrity a lot, never sailed on RCL ship but I keep thinking I want to try it but something keeps pulling me back to Celebrity and I think this is it exactly. I don't rock climb, I don't surf, would likely not do the ice skating either but keep thinking that the shows would be better but it never seems to be enough of a pull to make me pull away from the calming spaces I love on Celebrity. I only sailed Celebrity first time due to the drink package included, that sold me though i was reluctant due to my fear of dress code and it being more upscale which is totally not my style at all.

It really is about what we each really want on a cruise and sometimes we don't know what that is until we find it (or not :)). I liked NCL a lot for the casualness until my last sailing on Epic and that was in the 'not' category big time :eek:. Have not been able to try another NCL since, even though I keep looking.

I will add that I love the no smoking anywhere inside on Celebrity, that is another plus for me.

I know this is a revived-old-thread, but I would say choose the cheapest one, or at least factor that into your decision. Southern Caribbean cruises are port intensive; use the ship to go from A to B...then C, D and sometimes E. You won’t be on the ship much.

We like both Celebrity and Royal equally and consider them different styles of cruising. Most of the differences have been mentioned already but Celebrity has upped their game when it comes to entertainment and nightlife and if you're a suite cruiser, I'd pick Celebrity over Royal. Only the Oasis and Quantum Classes have comparable suite perks and none do the southern itinerary.

Any preferences for travel to Southern Caribbean?

It comes up once in awhile, but thanks for asking again, fresh opinions help. After this May we will have done 3 cruises on Royal out of San Juan and now that we are Diamond we may try X. Previously I think it was the Summit that sailed from here, is that still true. The main problem that we haven't tried it yet is X pulls out of the Caibbean about the time we usually cruise- late April/Early May. Has that changed anyone?

Possibly ports too?

We would like to try Celebrity as well, however the "more formal" thing is a bit off putting. On formal nights we no longer wear suits, and are in slacks & collared shirt. This is us on all nights actually.

Anything more than that is just uncomfortable for us.