Carnival using Princess Cays?

Daisyloo

CCL is allowed to go there when there's no room at their private island and there is room at Princess Cays.

I don't believe Carnival Cruise Lines has its own dedicated private island. They use HAL's Half Moon Cay or occasionally Princess Cays when available. And also rent CocoCay from RCI if there are any openings in its schedule.

And further to this topic, Cunard ships have called at Princess Cays when passing through on their World Cruises. But the Cunard itinerary reads "Eleuthera Island, Bahamas". Guess they don't want to be perceived as "slumming" at a Princess beach.

Carnival shares Princess Cays with Princess. HAL has its own private beach area nearby (and it’s much better than Princess Cays.)

HAL also shares with Carnival, but HAL always gets first priority. There will never be a Carnival and a HAL ship at Half Moon Cay at the same time, and I suspect the same is true at Princess Cay.

I believe Carnival's "private" spot is Amber Cove, and Princess has started using it as a port.

I believe you're right, but it's in the Dominican Republic and not "handy" except for western Caribbean cruises. I would put Amber Cove, Costa Maya, Grand Turk, and Roatan in the same category. There may be others like Falmouth, Jamaica (haven't been there) that would be in the same category: a port with amenities like swimming pool(s), beach access, bars/eateries, shopping available only to ship pax. Usually there are excursions available to other places "off the reservation," so to speak. And one can make private excursion arrangements, as well. To some degree, I think cruise lines built these to have a more secure place for pax. Esp. true in Honduras (Roatan). Then there are the "beach day" stops like Princess Cays, Half Moon Cay, etc. Mostly beach and food/drink with limited shopping, no pool, some excursions.