British isles cruise

kafraser78

Hi everybody, our first princess cruise is next year and we’re very excited. One of our ports is Edinburgh where we tender.

Can somebody tell me how long the tender is and how far Edinburgh is from the cruise port.

Thank you everybody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took the local train into Edinburgh and that took about 15 minutes. It did require a walk up lots of steep stairs to get to the train station from the 'port.' If you haven't checked out this thread yet, I highly recommend it even though it is 5 years old: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1652129

Edited by capriccio

I did a live thread this past August on our British isles cruise. Here's the post about our day in Edinburgh: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53897551#post53897551

A lot of folks on our cruise went to Edinburgh from Greenock in order to see the Tattoo. We decided not to do that due to the jam-packed itinerary already.

Hi everybody, our first princess cruise is next year and we’re very excited. One of our ports is Edinburgh where we tender.

Can somebody tell me how long the tender is and how far Edinburgh is from the cruise port.

Thank you everybody

I think to answer your question one needs to know where you dock. We docked in Forsyth when we were on the Ocean Princess. I noticed someone else mentioned they docked in Greencock.

I think to answer your question one needs to know where you dock. We docked in Forsyth when we were on the Ocean Princess. I noticed someone else mentioned they docked in Greencock.

When we did our BI cruise in August 2013 on the Caribbean Princess, Greenock was the port for attending the Tattoo and then later in the cruise we tendered in South Queensferry for our day in Edinburgh. Using Greenock there were no tenders involved so no risk of missing the tattoo due to tender/weather issues plus the next port (Belfast if I remember correctly) wasn't a long sail which was important since I don't think we departed Greenock until around 2 am when the last of the buses from the Tattoo arrived.

OP - The Tattoo is wonderful and only occurs in August, so you might want to consider that when determining your travel dates.

Perhaps someone could give some advice as we are also doing a British Isles cruise next summer and are flexible with sailing dates. Could do any sailing in June or July.

One itinerary goes to Kirkwall, another goes to Liverpool and a third does Dublin with two full days and overnight. Kirkwall sounds wonderful but it is a tender port and I've read often missed.

Any thoughts?

Those may be the usual ports, but as I said, we docked in Forsyth.

As you know, the Ocean was a MUCH smaller ship than the Grand Class or Royal class ships which because of their size can not dock at Forsyth, and require tendering to South Queensferry .

Since the Ocean is no longer in the fleet, leaving only the Pacific Princess that size left in the Princess fleet, your post regarding Forsyth is now moot.

Srpilo

As you know, the Ocean was a MUCH smaller ship than the Grand Class or Royal class ships which because of their size can not dock at Forsyth, and require tendering to South Queensferry .

Since the Ocean is no longer in the fleet, leaving only the Pacific Princess that size left in the Princess fleet, your post regarding Forsyth is now moot.

Srpilo

Unless the Pacific Princess does a British Isles cruise, in which case it becomes relevant again.

Perhaps someone could give some advice as we are also doing a British Isles cruise next summer and are flexible with sailing dates. Could do any sailing in June or July.

One itinerary goes to Kirkwall, another goes to Liverpool and a third does Dublin with two full days and overnight. Kirkwall sounds wonderful but it is a tender port and I've read often missed.

Any thoughts?

We did back to back British Isles cruises this late July & early August. One stopped at Kirkwall and the other at Liverpool. We much preferred the visit to Liverpool. The Albert Dock area was a great place to visit in Liverpool. If you like looking at trees, Kirkwall is not the place for you.

Just for those who may be considering a UK/British Isles Cruise, the Port that the smaller ships dock at for Edinburgh is “Rosyth” not Forsyth, this Port is situated on the North Bank of the Forth some distance from Edinburgh which is on the South Bank of the Forth

Some of the smaller ships can also Use the Port Of Leith which is just two or three miles from the Centre Of Edinburgh.

We did back to back British Isles cruises this late July & early August. One stopped at Kirkwall and the other at Liverpool. We much preferred the visit to Liverpool. The Albert Dock area was a great place to visit in Liverpool. If you like looking at trees, Kirkwall is not the place for you.

Thank you! I love the Beatles too and assuming there must be a museum dedicated to them in Liverpool!

large cruise ships cant get under Forth rail bridge to go to Rosyth so must tender at South Queensferry

Any thoughts?

I know nothing about Kirkwall as our cruise stopped in Liverpool. We did a fabulous walking tour of the Beatles and former hangout, the Cavern, the museum, and a bus tour to Penny Lane and Strawberry Field. So much Beatle history—loved it!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know nothing about Kirkwall as our cruise stopped in Liverpool. We did a fabulous walking tour of the Beatles and former hangout, the Cavern, the museum, and a bus tour to Penny Lane and Strawberry Field. So much Beatle history—loved it!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And if the Beatles aren't your thing we were surprised to find great museums including the Merseyside Maritime Museum, Museum of Liverpool, International Slavery Museum, Victoria Gallery and Museum, and our favorite - the Western Approaches Museum.

Just for those who may be considering a UK/British Isles Cruise, the Port that the smaller ships dock at for Edinburgh is “Rosyth” not Forsyth, this Port is situated on the North Bank of the Forth some distance from Edinburgh which is on the South Bank of the Forth

Some of the smaller ships can also Use the Port Of Leith which is just two or three miles from the Centre Of Edinburgh.

Thank you for correcting my error. It was 5+ years ago when we did our British Isles cruise, so I hope I can be forgiven for having one letter wrong in the name of the port.