Military Benefit

lakemurraykid

We're taking our first TA with Celebrity in April 2018. I was wondering if they do anything, i.e. OBC for retired military personnel. Because this cruise is a TA there were not any amenities offered and I forgot to ask about military. I was not able to find anything on their website.

Celebrity does offer a military RATE or FARE on SOME cruises, but quite often it's a farce... $5, $10, or $20 dollars less than other fares. Princess always honors active/veteran/retired military with $250 OBC on any 14 night or longer cruise, IN ADDITION to any and ALL other discounts and OBC...even their $250 shareholder benefit.

An example available right now...17 nights in an ocean view from LA to Santiago Chile on Emerald Princes for $749pp with $550 OBC. ($250 military, $250 Shareholder, and $50 from the online agency)

We're taking our first TA with Celebrity in April 2018. I was wondering if they do anything, i.e. OBC for retired military personnel. Because this cruise is a TA there were not any amenities offered and I forgot to ask about military. I was not able to find anything on their website.

we're on a 14 night southern carribean in january, booked thru X, and getting a 250 military discount, not obc, wife is getting it also - thank you Celebrity !!

If you want a true military benefit...you should cruise Princess. Once you submit your DD214 and get their OBC for a cruise....that info is forever linked to your file. On subsequent cruises you are automatically granted an OBC (usually $100).

Hank

Celebrity has recently stepped up and we have gotten discounts of $100 for both DH & I on recents bookings. Seems to vary by category booked. We originally booked a veranda guarantee on a TA & got a $50pp reduction on the fare. Later we upgraded to AQ and the discount increased to $100 pp.

I recently found on Celebrity website a benefit that says active and retired military ALWAYS get a savings on cabin. Amount is per person and depends on cabin category: $25 for inside or ocean view, $50 for Veranda, and $100 for Concierge, Aqua, and Suite. This applies to sailings departing from July 1, 2017-April 30, 2019. Applies to new individual bookings. There are a few more rules and conditions on the website. They may still offer other military discounts on some sailings.

Carolyn

One small cautionary note. If you use a "service" discount and if after the final payment date occurs it will be challenging to try to upgrade. I had a situation where the prices dropped for higher cabins and I wanted to pay the difference. Nevertheless the agents could not proces the request. I even called several times, one time on hold for 45 minutes. For some bizarre reason the existence of the discount cancels out the application of the new reduced rate. The advice here was that using a TA would have probably helped which bummed me out because I always book directly with Celebrity. I realize this is a minor point but thought you should know.

I booked our cruise 8 months ago through MWR, our fare was reduced twice for a total of about $1000 and in addition we got $300 OBC and each got the Classic Beverage Package for a Concierge class cabin.

We just had to go through X to submit my DD 214 which took about a month for them to process receipt.

Well worth it !

I booked our cruise 8 months ago through MWR, our fare was reduced twice for a total of about $1000 and in addition we got $300 OBC and each got the Classic Beverage Package for a Concierge class cabin.

We just had to go through X to submit my DD 214 which took about a month for them to process receipt.

Well worth it !

rules, rates and benefits seem to change every time you call X. I was told not to send paperwork in pre- , but to bring it and give it to them when boarding to confirm. Original booking had 250/pp military credit and one perk. I called today, they lowered our fares 50/pp, added a 2nd perk (gratuities), and reduced the military credit to 100/pp. Net, i saved about 200.

I've never been asked for my badge once in 20 years but if I don't bring it once....LOL Likewise my spouse has never been asked for her DD214. Honestly I am afraid to call again because notes are apparently made of previous calls and I believe that influences any effort to make things right. All I know is I was told that my service discount disqualified me from taking advantage of the price reduction that was characterized as exclusive ly "Exciting Deals" or "48 hours special". I tried to challenge this in a very mellow/respectful way but it was a no go for me. I received good advice here but regardless of it has to be one dollar more to no it doesn't the result was the same. The service discount was a curse!

This morning I looked at the fares again and they had dropped the fare by $100 saying it is a "military" rate. Final payment isn't due until sometime in December, so it could, not saying it will, change again. I am going to call Celebrity and see what they'll do, if anything, because I used a travel agent. That was my mistake right there. But, if that's all we get I'll be somewhat satisfied because it's a $200 savings. I should have used my regular TA but instead used another "big box" agency who had a package deal and I went for it. My mistake...I've learned my lesson.

For me it's not all about the OBC or a reduced cruise fare for being a vet.

Of course it's not. It's one way that some companies show their appreciation for military and other services. Most of the time that I have wanted to use the military discount it wasn't worth it. It would be reduced or completely go away it there were other perks that I wanted to use. Personally, I think it's a joke the way it's set up. If it's reduced or goes away when I want to use it along with other perks then what's the use of it anyway? It's supposed to be a way for them to thank people for their service, instead it usually just makes the fare and perks the same as everyone else.

Glad it has worked out for some and thanks to all for their service.

Crazy !

Someone suggested that you should not use a discount if you are offered ?

Think about it, you wouldn’t take $20 if offered, you would.

I’m a vet and I appreciate any discounts offered, not saying I’m entitled.