Push the Issue or Let It Go?

Hi All,

I hope you are well! I booked a voyage on the Allure in November a few months back before all these crazy hurricanes. I originally booked an interior during the July WOW sale and got $150 onboard credit from the TA and $100 from Royal for a total of $250 onboard credit. I paid for the trip in full right upfront. Ever since the storms wrecked havoc on the Caribbean, the prices continue to fall on the voyage I booked, especially on the higher category rooms.

After much back and forth/headache with the TA trying to get a higher tier room I was able to get a Neighborhood Balcony upgrade. Very happy about this overall! With that said the total cost of the Neighborhood Balcony was still nearly $100 cheaper than what I paid for the interior room back in July. The TA got the upgraded room for no cost to me of course but Royal Caribbean took away the $100 onboard credit in exchange for the upgrade since it was no longer during the WOW sale. So in reality I paid about $100 to get a neighborhood balcony over an interior since I lost this perk with my booking.

It seems a little unfair to take away my credit and not refund the difference since if I booked today as a new customer I would have just paid the lower price. (No onboard credit, but $100 less than my original interior booking cost). I am not to familiar with this process on Royal Caribbean despite cruising a good number of times and was hoping for some advice. Should I A) Just let it go and enjoy the trip B) Push to keep the $100 onboard credit or C) request a refund for the difference in price if I do not get to keep the onboard credit D) another option?

Edited by lightbalb2003

Congrats on getting a balcony room for the price of an inside.

Unfortunately you will not get the $100 because you are past final payment. Once you are past final payment, you are not eligible for any refunds. The best you can do is upgrade to a better category room than what you originally booked.

Look at this way, you were happy with the price you paid for an inside but now you have a balcony room. Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

You have to read the fine print on many of the promos as often they are for new bookings only. We also were in a similar situation and moved a couple weeks back (after final payment due date) from a PR room to Balcony Guarantee and lost our $100 OBC. This was explained to me by my TA before we proceeded with an option to back out but we were happy anyways with the upgrade. You can press the issue if you'd like, but I'm pretty confident you won't get anywhere with it.

I would just be happy with the upgrade. My aunt is sailing (on Adventure) in Dec and called to see about an upgrade due to a price drop and keeps getting told it's for new bookings only. A balcony is less than her oceanview. And pretty sure you don't get to keep that OBC anyway if that promo is over.

On our last cruise, we took a “WOW” sale offer / discounted pricing and OBC. The RCCL rep was clear to point out any room changes once the WOW sale was over would cause that room to loose the WOW perks. So she was stressing to us to make sure we were good with room assignments She said this was a specific caveat of the WOW sale. Moral - make sure to read the fine print. Either way, enjoy your upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no "issue" to push here. You are past final payment date, therefore your price is locked in. You lost your On Board Credit because the "price" given for the category you upgraded to did not offer an on board credit. You don't get both a cheaper price AND get to keep your previous promotions.

Apparently many here think RCI needs the $100 much more than you. ;)

Or many know the way RCI books cabins, and the contract associated with them, and are being realistic about the facts. Or you can just go with it is all random, lets pitch a fit and see if someone gives a cr*p.

I know option B is your regular choice.

JC

Or many know the way RCI books cabins, and the contract associated with them, and are being realistic about the facts. Or you can just go with it is all random, lets pitch a fit and see if someone gives a cr*p.

I know option B is your regular choice.

JC

Thank you for telling me what I know. Apparently I am unable to think for myself.

One caution: on the Allure, neighborhood balconies are noisy (a change since we were last on the Allure.). You might see if your T.A. Could possibly try for an ocean balcony instead--sometimes requests have really nice outcomes--if it doesn't work, you'll still have what you have now, and the noise isn't a problem (at least it hasn't been yet) at night.

Thanks for the insight! I will proceed with option A! In future years I just know to wait until about 6 weeks out to get the best pricing ;)

Every sailing / situation is different. Next year that sailing at 6 weeks out could be at a high point. They don't all drop right before sailing and in fact many go up.

Forgot to say that Central Park balconies get a complimentary bottle of wine and a complimentary lunch at Giovani's--and those are nice. Boardwalk cabins get free soda packages and free lunch at Johnny Rockets , and that's a nice bonus, too. So, not to feel a neighborhood balcony is the pits

Forgot to say that Central Park balconies get a complimentary bottle of wine and a complimentary lunch at Giovani's--and those are nice. Boardwalk cabins get free soda packages and free lunch at Johnny Rockets , and that's a nice bonus, too. So, not to feel a neighborhood balcony is the pits��

Is that perk included on the guarantee category neighborhood cabin as well? When do you get communication on those perks? I am in a Central Park balcony. The soda pass would have been nice but the lunch options seem a little nicer with the Central Park room!

Is that perk included on the guarantee category neighborhood cabin as well? When do you get communication on those perks? I am in a Central Park balcony. The soda pass would have been nice but the lunch options seem a little nicer with the Central Park room!

Yes, guarantee categories too.

There will be a letter in your cabin outlining the perks along with your bottle of wine.

My approach is to politely enquire but then let it go if there is push back. That is just me. I go on cruises to relax and relieve stress so I try not to add to it by having a battle with RCI or travel agent. I find it better to let it go.

At the same time, I have cruised a lot so usually book a cruise at a good price. If price drops further, I don't get so hung up about it as I made a purchase / commitment at a price and a time that suited me.