Celebrity Cruises to Modernize All Cabins and Suites Across Fleet and Add New Sundeck

LauraS

Modern Luxury? hahahahahaha. Reprobate? I resemble that remark. You either understand my humor or you don't. Either way that's OK with me.

But I'm not posh. I did move to AZ and O because I wanted to get what Celebrity used to give me . However I am trying Holland America to see what they offer. So I'm not an elitist although I am Elite on Celebrity. Big whoop. :D

When you look at O when they include air plus unlimited internet plus other things such as they include like specialty restaurants, it's not that much more expensive than Celebrity. And I like the smaller ships with better quality food.

I really do hope to sail Celebrity again some day. Just can't deal with the decline in quality at higher rates for the sake of profits at the current time. Although as a Stock Holder I do appreciate that aspect.

I get it. :)

My first cruise was with HAL. We take long vacations in Florida most years so had an idea to jump last minute on a cruise ship and see some of the Caribbean. I'll be honest we jumped in feet first and did next to no research. I didn't realise the average age of a HAL passenger was 103 (We were in our thirties at the time).

That said I enjoyed it. The cabin on board Noordam was ok, I really liked the food, in fact our second cruise was with Celebrity in AQ and I found the food on HAL to be more enjoyable than in Blu. They deffo have the best itineraries by far.

I get it. :)

My first cruise was with HAL. We take long vacations in Florida most years so had an idea to jump last minute on a cruise ship and see some of the Caribbean. I'll be honest we jumped in feet first and did next to no research. I didn't realize the average age of a HAL passenger was 103 (We were in our thirties at the time).

That said I enjoyed it. The cabin on board Noordam was ok, I really liked the food, in fact our second cruise was with Celebrity in AQ and I found the food on HAL to be more enjoyable than in Blu. They deffo have the best itineraries by far.

TYVM for saying that. I've been in Blu twice. It's ok but O and AZ blow the doors off Blu in their MDR. I saw the itinerary on HAL that was similar to a Celebrity cruise but it was $2800 less for an aft cabin at a time we had a hole in our schedule. Since I"m only about 10 years below their age you touted, I'm not too concerned. lol

But one thing I have already determined...Their pool side Hamburgers are better than Celebrity's without a doubt.

Right on ChucktownSteve:

Things are a changing in the world of cruising and those who live and die for one cruise line are missing opportunities.

Celebrity is living on their past reputation while busy, busy, busy reducing product quality for everyone not in their suite class.

Many former Celebrity guests are moving on, experiencing other mass cruise lines as well as the premium and upward lines and are now able to compare and contrast value to the consumer versus Celebrity. Celebrity is proving to be a past value to many more experienced consumers.

But all is not lost for Celebrity - they have their magic carpets and Edens and suites and many consumers who are lured by such attractions.

Fortunately, there are many cruise providers in the market today - so those consumers who are not interested in booze, booze, booze, shrilling for beverage and speciality restaurant packages, loud music in the shopping area and mystery meat in the Ocean view cafe have other options.

The superficial updating of rooms and public areas on Celebrity ships does not necessarily offset the decline in the on board product of a once high quality cruise line focused on all their guests.

Right on ChucktownSteve:

Things are a changing in the world of cruising and those who live and die for one cruise line are missing opportunities.

Celebrity is living on their past reputation while busy, busy, busy reducing product quality for everyone not in their suite class.

Many former Celebrity guests are moving on, experiencing other mass cruise lines as well as the premium and upward lines and are now able to compare and contrast value to the consumer versus Celebrity. Celebrity is proving to be a past value to many more experienced consumers.

But all is not lost for Celebrity - they have their magic carpets and Edens and suites and many consumers who are lured by such attractions.

Fortunately, there are many cruise providers in the market today - so those consumers who are not interested in booze, booze, booze, shrilling for beverage and speciality restaurant packages, loud music in the shopping area and mystery meat in the Ocean view cafe have other options.

The superficial updating of rooms and public areas on Celebrity ships does not necessarily offset the decline in the on board product of a once high quality cruise line focused on all their guests.

I don't agree with this. And of course you don't have to agree with me. We've sailed 5 different lines and are loyal to none. I sailed Celebrity for the first time back in 2005 (I think) and wasn't overly impressed. There was nothing wrong with it but I found it very overhyped, especially the food. And that had the MIchael Roux menus. We went back to Princess.

Sailing them now, they're fun with pretty good food, stunning ships, comfortable cabins and good entertainment. Sure, it probably doesn't live up to what the diehard old timers like but they put out a pretty good product for the price point. We've totally changed our opinion on them and now look to them first for our cruise vacations. We just sailed with diehard Princess Elite cruises, they loved it.

I keep looking at Azamara and Oceania but I cannot justify the price difference on either nor do I think I'm old enough for Oceania.

No booze? No gambling? Are you celibate and vegan too? ;p
m - what is the challenge with vegans??

I think we are a respectable group!

[emoji16]

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Just my limited opinion but it is easy to tell the older generations post from younger people’s opinions. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a go at which camp I’m in then :). It will be interesting to hear what you consider is the older generation :D.

X is changing rapidly and so is their clientele, which I presume is what they are striving for. Unfortunately, in our case, if our last cruise is the norm, then it’s not for us. Why many of us chose X in the past - what they were offering was what we were looking for in a vacation - is not present anymore. And so with these changes, as others have stated above, it’s time to look elsewhere for a more suitable fit. There may not be a cruise line in the market like X once was, but it will be fun trying :cool:.

I also think the experience for the suite guests is going to alter on the new ships. Those that speak now of those extra special touches that they can’t describe may find that they are none existent when there are over 200 suites on a ship. Presently, where the venues are intimate and exclusive for those pax, they may find that they dislike the move to much larger venues to accommodate all the extra suite guests and their connecting family and friends, especially on TAs where there are many consecutive sea days. From threads on CC, many suite guests prefer the smaller venues and that’s why they book that category: for the exclusivity. Or perhaps X will do as the airlines have done and introduce a ‘first class’ area for those in top suites only? The new ships will evolve just as S and M class have over the years.

I have to disagree with Cruise Junky regarding the ‘good’ entertainment. Have you not read the thread on CC enquiring on opinions to X productions? I think there was one positive review from all the posts on the productions since X have changed to producing their own.

TYVM for saying that. I've been in Blu twice. It's ok but O and AZ blow the doors off Blu in their MDR. I saw the itinerary on HAL that was similar to a Celebrity cruise but it was $2800 less for an aft cabin at a time we had a hole in our schedule. Since I"m only about 10 years below their age you touted, I'm not too concerned. lol

But one thing I have already determined...Their pool side Hamburgers are better than Celebrity's without a doubt.

I need to try O and AZ. I've spent hours reading about them and watching reviews on Youtube etc. These are my very personal opinions but I get the impression that O in 2017 offers an experience very close to what the Celebrity marketing department would have you you'll experience on Celebrity but falls short, or what they offered years ago. O as a line does appeal a lot. Even the Brits onboard O have had some dental work done.

As for AZ, they're not quite as appealing as O to me personally. I've read the board quite extensively and I see that a lot of hardened AZ passengers look down their noses at Celebrity. But reading between the lines I get the impression that it's an older crowd on board looking for a quieter, more sedate and itinerary driven cruise, a little more 'niche' market than other lines. It's difficult to get excited about their two ships, but there is appeal with the actual itineraries, food and service but as I pointed out yesterday, an AZ balcony is comparable to an X sky suite price wise on many sailings so the itinerary would have to really appeal. We'll sail with them at some point, but not until we're very happy with an itinerary choice. I hope that makes sense?

The poolside burgers on X are pretty meh. They fill a hole after an excursion maybe but that's about it.

m - what is the challenge with vegans??

I think we are a respectable group!

[emoji16]

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Nothing. Nothing at all. My post was aimed at a specific poster and as she knows, it was very tongue in cheek. :)

Have a go at which camp I’m in then :). It will be interesting to hear what you consider is the older generation :D.

I also think the experience for the suite guests is going to alter on the new ships. Those that speak now of those extra special touches that they can’t describe may find that they are none existent when there are over 200 suites on a ship. Presently, where the venues are intimate and exclusive for those pax, they may find that they dislike the move to much larger venues to accommodate all the extra suite guests and their connecting family and friends, especially on TAs where there are many consecutive sea days. From threads on CC, many suite guests prefer the smaller venues and that’s why they book that category: for the exclusivity. Or perhaps X will do as the airlines have done and introduce a ‘first class’ area for those in top suites only? The new ships will evolve just as S and M class have over the years.

We are part of this group that does like the relatively small number of suites...We have experienced suites on RC where the whole ambiance of the experience on the larger ships is diluted by the number of guests....Villauk, you seem to know us!

RC introduced the Genie system for the 'top suites' I think to try and reintroduce that special level of care....Very mixed reports and experiences. A key factor here is that many (most) of the top suites are designed for multiple occupancy so even a small number of suites means lots of guests! It also means that 'couples' are very short of choices of rooms to be in the Genie category.

Celebrity suits us at the moment. The first test for us comes next year when we cruise Reflection for the first time (more suites)....Ship wide we enjoy the mix of ages we find on Celebrity. We fit in with the mature but not vintage age group! We enjoy the fact there is a big ship with lots of restaurants and bars to explore and then the quiet of Michael's and our suite to return to when ready....

We will not be booking the Edge until we read some reviews....

Our loyalty to X at the moment is based on them having a product that matches our taste and desires at a price we are comfortable with....the point at which we no longer feel the product (or the price) meets our needs we will look at alternatives.....

Nothing in life stays the same, you just have to 'keep on top' of your understanding of 'improvements' and assess what really are improvements for you and your cruising style....Whilst we have our next cruises booked on X we do keep looking at other lines...our loyalty is not unconditional.

X is changing rapidly and so is their clientele, which I presume is what they are striving for. Unfortunately, in our case, if our last cruise is the norm, then it’s not for us. Why many of us chose X in the past - what they were offering was what we were looking for in a vacation - is not present anymore. And so with these changes, as others have stated above, it’s time to look elsewhere for a more suitable fit. There may not be a cruise line in the market like X once was, but it will be fun trying :cool:.

I have to disagree with Cruise Junky regarding the ‘good’ entertainment. Have you not read the thread on CC enquiring on opinions to X productions? I think there was one positive review from all the posts on the productions since X have changed to producing their own.

Can you be more specific? I have no idea what you are talking about, having not sailed X yet.

I will be curious if you find what you're looking for on RCL and Princess. From reading their boards Celebrity is not alone on cutbacks and many of their passengers are jumping ship.

I will be curious if you find what you're looking for on RCL and Princess. From reading their boards Celebrity is not alone on cutbacks and many of their passengers are jumping ship.

I think the cost cutting is just one aspect of the changes. Yes, we are giving Princess another try next year, not Royal though (my countdown clock states SotS because I need to move that booking again and it reminds me to do it ;p - you will notice it’s not in my list of cruises in my signature). Which is why I posted that trying some others lines will possibly be fun and eye opening ;). TBH, I would actually like to try Viking or Az if our children were not still cruising with us.

CruisingUS,

We feel that X is going in the same direction that Royal did and that’s why we initially moved to X: we wanted a more refined vacation. I believe X is changing and where they were visibly one notch above the other mass cruise lines, that line is blurring.

After this last cruise on Reflection, we witnessed a totally different feel to what we are used to sailing X. I was not alone, others have posted here on CC that something was just not right. We have to sail at peak times and perhaps that’s why our experiences may be slightly dissimilar to others that don’t sail on full ships? We are on Eclipse at Christmas and we’ll see if we still feel the same or if our faith has been restored ;).

Regarding you asking about my reference to suite ‘extra touches’ etc., you will find many posts on here describing the extras provided by the staff onboard to those in suites. The point I was trying to make is that when there are masses more in a particular category, then those special touches may not be provided. Even those singing the praises of the present suite experience, may find the reason they sailed with X is no longer there.

I think the cost cutting is just one aspect of the changes. Yes, we are giving Princess another try next year, not Royal though (my countdown clock states SotS because I need to move that booking again and it reminds me to do it ;p - you will notice it’s not in my list of cruises in my signature). Which is why I posted that trying some others lines will possibly be fun and eye opening ;). TBH, I would actually like to try Viking or Az if our children were not still cruising with us.

CruisingUS,

We feel that X is going in the same direction that Royal did and that’s why we initially moved to X: we wanted a more refined vacation. I believe X is changing and where they were visibly one notch above the other mass cruise lines, that line is blurring.

After this last cruise on Reflection, we witnessed a totally different feel to what we are used to sailing X. I was not alone, others have posted here on CC that something was just not right. We have to sail at peak times and perhaps that’s why our experiences may be slightly dissimilar to others that don’t sail on full ships? We are on Eclipse at Christmas and we’ll see if we still feel the same or if our faith has been restored ;).

Regarding you asking about my reference to suite ‘extra touches’ etc., you will find many posts on here describing the extras provided by the staff onboard to those in suites. The point I was trying to make is that when there are masses more in a particular category, then those special touches may not be provided. Even those singing the praises of the present suite experience, may find the reason they sailed with X is no longer there.

I would like specific examples of what you mean by "refined" or "upscale". it means different things to different people, and a lot of people don't place similar value on those "upscale" experiences and items.

An example would be that I don't think Porsche is that upscale any more when they are offering entry models b/c a lot of them feel very slow when I press on the gas pedal (base boxster cayman cayenne and panamera all feel slow without the S trim) . Or Louis Vuitton is notorious for using cheaper canvas material that peals and cracks.

What has X done that is causing all this gnashing of the teeth?

I would like specific examples of what you mean by "refined" or "upscale".

I don’t recall using ‘upscale’ in my post? However, X has always been known as being slightly more refined than some other lines because it’s not your ‘all singing and dancing’ line. We all go on vacation for different reasons but witnessing a person so inebriated that they were having to be held back from verbally abusing pax walking by is not how I want to spend my holidays. Or seeing the lawn covered from inch to inch with towels - I certainly don’t want Butlins at sea (you may be unfamiliar with this company living in the US - google it).

No gnashing of teeth, as I pointed out, we are hoping Eclipse restores our faith but we have also decided to try other lines as well. I’m sure you will make your own judgements once you have sailed on X ;).

I don't know about Princess but after 4 RCCL cruises I was happy that our last 2 were on Celebrity.

I'm trying other lines. Have booked an Azamara cruise and hope to try Viking Ocean.

Enjoyed three Viking River Cruises.

I still love Celebrity and will be on the Silhouette in Feb., but with Zenith a lifetime of cruises away, branching out makes sense to me. It proves there is lots to enjoy outside of Celebrity.

You raise an interesting point and in two to three years from now we should start to get an idea. I'm sure the staff involved around suites on Edge will be giving it their all initially.

I suspect it will be a case of swings and roundabouts. The pool area and Cafe El Bachio can get very busy so the retreat may be a win there for suite guests. People are rightly mentioning that people in adjoining cabins to suites can also enter the retreat but when you look at the number available it's really not that many and not everyone in an adjoining cabin will be travelling with suite guests etc.

Luminae might be a challenge as you suggest, but I suppose with sufficient staff and suitable layout it might remain the dining venue that it currently is. Technically it could even be improved. I think moving the space what is effectively Michael's Club is a good idea. A nicer location is bound to improve its popularity IMHO, so it will be interesting to see how the staff deliver that experience.

An example would be that I don't think Porsche is that upscale any more when they are offering entry models b/c a lot of them feel very slow when I press on the gas pedal (base boxster cayman cayenne and panamera all feel slow without the S trim) .

Any more? 924 (nearly quicker than a dead snail), 944, 968 etc. They've been offering entry level models for decades.

Are Mercedes Benz not an upscale manufacturer because despite building the S class they also make the mass market A class?

Would a 10 day stay in an Iconic suite on Edge in Europe also be considered down market because the same ship has relatively cheap inside cabins? Incidentally you could almost buy an entry level Boxter for the same price as that trip in the Iconic Suite! :p

me too after 11 on Princess

We branched out to Princess a few years back to give them a try, opting for an aft-corner suite on the Caribbean Princess. Count me as not impressed, and it will probably be years before I "make the time" for another Princess sailing. I posted a lengthy review at the time detailing my observations.

At this point, NCL and Celebrity are our top cruise lines with Royal coming in third (they will not permit bottles of alcohol in your cabin). Of course, NCL does not include bottled water in the "Ultimate" beverage package... it would seem each line has its little pros and cons.

Carnival is where we got our feet wet with cruising, but after enough sailings we tired of their lack of suite perks (basically nothing!) and refusal to include hot breakfast in their room service offerings.

Tom

LOL. When I read your post I started thinking about the song from the '80s by Adam Ant called Goody Two Shoes. Now I can't get it out of my head!

Here is the youtube version.

Oh my......I remember that song. Now it is stuck in my head, too. LOL!

Dawn

We branched out to Princess a few years back to give them a try, opting for an aft-corner suite on the Caribbean Princess. Count me as not impressed, and it will probably be years before I "make the time" for another Princess sailing. I posted a lengthy review at the time detailing my observations.

At this point, NCL and Celebrity are our top cruise lines with Royal coming in third (they will not permit bottles of alcohol in your cabin). Of course, NCL does not include bottled water in the "Ultimate" beverage package... it would seem each line has its little pros and cons.

Carnival is where we got our feet wet with cruising, but after enough sailings we tired of their lack of suite perks (basically nothing!) and refusal to include hot breakfast in their room service offerings.

Tom

I read your entire 5000+ word essay...you sounded pretty impressed with princess

I read your entire 5000+ word essay...you sounded pretty impressed with princess

There were certainly aspects of it which we enjoyed, as there is with every cruise we've been on. Let's just say that the limited "glow" associated with the cruise must have dimmed!

Tom