Celebrity Cruises to Modernize All Cabins and Suites Across Fleet and Add New Sundeck

LauraS

Love the idea of revitalizing the cabins, especially on M class - long overdue. But at the same time, who designed these things?? I so agree with the idea that the designers need to spend a couple weeks in those cabins (with a lot of sea days) and then see how they like them, More modern is fine - but these look so very cold and uncomfortable. More important - storage is already a challenge, especially on longer cruises. The storage in these designs just looks awful! What are they thinking?!?!? Do they even listen to or care about their customers?? How many people complained about lack of storage when S class came out? So to address that issue, they are going to go with even less storage to make S class look good! Geez.

How can a company be so blind to their customers' needs? Makes me think it is all about looking good in a way appealing to rich Millennials. But I have news for them - Millennials may like sleek and modern (or may not) but they are not stupid - one cruise in these cabins and they may not be coming back.

I don't think closet space is very high on Millennial's list. I could be wrong tho....i am the kind that will keep most of my clean cloths, except those that need to be hung d/t wrinkles, in my luggage. I then keep all my dirty cloths in drawers in a plastic bag.

We use overhead bins on S ships for most of our shorts, tees, swimsuits etc..not much storage overall if they were gone...

No more suits, jackets, gowns, cocktail dresse, etc so closet space now adequate,,,

Modern Luxury cruisers apparently don't need much space for their Designer jeans and tees...

I hear Millennials getting the credit/blame for practically everything these days, including the reduced storage space in the revamped cabins.. Don’t they have clothes, these Millennials? Maybe they’re the ones who are doing all the nude charters! :D:D

The best news for me in all of this is that Celebrity apparently is planning to retain the "M" Class ships rather than sell them off as the Edge class ships are introduced. We just like the size and feel of the "M" class. Hopefully this means Celebrity may be adding West coast itineraries as well.

I also believe that Celebrity can find plenty of unused space, as mentioned above, where they can add to the suite experience without detracting from the rest of the clientele. There used to be waterparks and slides on the Summit, and those were removed without a great deal of fuss.

We also like the laid back type of R & R offered on M ships. I realize the bigger ships offer bigger/better/more of everything and that a lot of people need that stuff to enjoy their vacation, but that's not us. We like to go on vacation to get away from all that. I really enjoy the subdued, quieter M class ships and I don't believe for a second we're the only ones, because the itineraries on the M class ships book up.

Sounds like you have a dreaded case of Suite Envy. I think you can be cured by leaving Celebrity and sailing on Holland America since you love it so much. I am happy that Celebrity is upgrading ALL cabins - this is not just about suites.

I concur. The suite envy is very apparent on this board at times. It's a little pathetic really. As for the suggestion that you should sail on Seabourn etc, well that's just ridiculous. The people making such suggestions should ask themselves why new X ships are being built with more suites and associated amenities. It's the way Celebrity is evolving, management want to attract more suite passengers, it's those who dislike this that might want to look elsewhere if they don't like the way the company is changing. But we should all be thankful that we all have many choices from many lines around the globe so no one has to miss out on an ideal vacation.

Personally I'm pleased that Celebrity are updating their M class fleet. Lets be honest, M class ships are old and tired these days and with many newer ships available and more currently being built / commissioned they really do need modernizing in order to compete.

Also, considering that the M class ships were 'solcistised' after the introduction of S class ships it won't be surprising at all if Celebrity try and modernize both M and S class ships so that there is more standardization across the whole fleet when the E class ships are built.

We choose to only book verandas irregardless of which line; RCL, Celebrity, Cunard and Oceania. Suites are of no interest to us; not interested in the additional space, food delivery's in afternoons nor interested in butlers. We are rarely in our room; always out with the ship and the ocean. But excellent food and service is mandatory for our vacation travel.

Everyone has a different set of parameters which they prioritize.

We are not price driven in any way - price is a small part of our decision process - we are value for money analysts - so the financial and non financial considerations are evaluated..

There isn't an easy way to say this, but this makes little sense to me. Celebrity is very much a two tier line. Whilst some will point out that service was superior in years gone by it's now 2017 and things have changed.

We've sailed suite and none suite rooms and can state that the experience is very different even on the same ship. You state that you're not price driven at all. But if you're not sailing in a suite you're simply not experiencing the best Celebrity has to offer and that makes it very difficult to perform an objective comparison with Oceania.

Having spent hours looking at Oceania cruises it's safe to say that many of their veranda prices are comparable to sky suites where passengers benefir from MC, a dedicated concierge, butler and offer instances of great customer service that isn't realized by non suite passengers.

Drinks and excursions are very expensive on Oceania and whilst they market specialty dining for all the truth is, only Oceania suite guests are guaranteed to dine in these specialty restaurants EVERY night.

So in short, I don't think the picture you are painting of Oceania vs Celebrity is as favourable towards Oceania as you state. Though I appreciate it's not easy to be massively objective in the short space of a forum post.

Maybe we should pick some 2019 sailings between the two lines with similar prices and itineraries and really drill down into the detail.....

There isn't an easy way to say this, but this makes little sense to me. Celebrity is very much a two tier line. Whilst some will point out that service was superior in years gone by it's now 2017 and things have changed.

We've sailed suite and none suite rooms and can state that the experience is very different even on the same ship. You state that you're not price driven at all. But if you're not sailing in a suite you're simply not experiencing the best Celebrity has to offer and that makes it very difficult to perform an objective comparison with Oceania.

Having spent hours looking at Oceania cruises it's safe to say that many of their veranda prices are comparable to sky suites where passengers benefir from MC, a dedicated concierge, butler and offer instances of great customer service that isn't realized by non suite passengers.

Drinks and excursions are very expensive on Oceania and whilst they market specialty dining for all the truth is, only Oceania suite guests are guaranteed to dine in these specialty restaurants EVERY night.

So in short, I don't think the picture you are painting of Oceania vs Celebrity is as favourable towards Oceania as you state. Though I appreciate it's not easy to be massively objective in the short space of a forum post.

Maybe we should pick some 2019 sailings between the two lines with similar prices and itineraries and really drill down into the detail.....

this made me laugh b/c i instantly had an image of someone telling me "Dah-ling....you simply must try the caviar"

i plan to try to suite sometime perhaps on celebrity, when i can write off on my taxes :D

this made me laugh b/c i instantly had an image of someone telling me "Dah-ling....you simply must try the caviar"

i plan to try to suite sometime perhaps on celebrity, when i can write off on my taxes :D

Why would one subject oneself to the herring roe passed off as caviar on the Celebrity ships when one could enjoy Royal Beluga caviar?

Now where's that tongue in cheek smiley....

Don't forget to extend your pinkie finger while sipping tea.

I wouldn't count on deducting a cruise on your taxes. IRS is pretty strict.

• You need to be able to show that the convention, meetings or workshop on board the Cruise ship directly benefited your business. The days that have a ‘business function’ would be deductible…the days for vacationing or relaxing wouldn’t be a write-off.
  • the IRS allows taxpayers to deduct up to $2,000 a year is allowed for attending cruise ship conventions or business trips IF all the ports of call are in the U.S. or U.S. possessions and if the ship is registered in the U.S.
  • the cost of the actual education on the Cruise ship (not the cost of the Cruise) should easily be a deduction if it is directly benefiting your business. So if worse comes to worse and we can’t deduct the Cruise ship costs, we have a ‘fall back’ position to at least deduct the education or workshop fees.

I concur. The suite envy is very apparent on this board at times. It's a little pathetic really. As for the suggestion that you should sail on Seabourn etc, well that's just ridiculous. The people making such suggestions should ask themselves why new X ships are being built with more suites and associated amenities. It's the way Celebrity is evolving, management want to attract more suite passengers, it's those who dislike this that might want to look elsewhere if they don't like the way the company is changing. But we should all be thankful that we all have many choices from many lines around the globe so no one has to miss out on an ideal vacation.

Personally I'm pleased that Celebrity are updating their M class fleet. Lets be honest, M class ships are old and tired these days and with many newer ships available and more currently being built / commissioned they really do need modernizing in order to compete.

Also, considering that the M class ships were 'solcistised' after the introduction of S class ships it won't be surprising at all if Celebrity try and modernize both M and S class ships so that there is more standardization across the whole fleet when the E class ships are built.

Thanks Mynki. My post on "suite envy" was tongue in cheek but even that was taken the wrong way. I guess any mention of suites or newly designed suite areas on ships will get the backs up of some on these boards. Anyway- I have sailed on all of the M-Class ships and I do like them quite a lot. I sailed this year on Connie right after her dry dock. They had upgraded some electronic systems (unseen to us) already to Edge-Class we were told. So Edgercising it is starting. M-Class cabins are in true need of refreshing - they just did the high-level suites (that word again!) on Connie only. The CS and Sky Suites were not touched or any other category of cabin. Hopefully this newly announced program will get M-Class cabins up to date. I also wish that M-Class would get at least one more Specialty Restaurant per ship.

You would be surprised to see that if you aren't sailing during peak periods and upgrade to a suite a couple of weeks before the cruise, the price isn't very high- a few hundred more then an AQ cabin- and well worth it if you can swing it. Check the rates of your sailing from time to time. I agree, the experience is wonderful. Michael's club is a great venue- priority board and disembarking also great. Lumanie also a very good venue. Someday you should try it if the price is right! Enjoy.

You would be surprised to see that if you aren't sailing during peak periods and upgrade to a suite a couple of weeks before the cruise, the price isn't very high- a few hundred more then an AQ cabin- and well worth it if you can swing it. Check the rates of your sailing from time to time. I agree, the experience is wonderful. Michael's club is a great venue- priority board and disembarking also great. Lumanie also a very good venue. Someday you should try it if the price is right! Enjoy.

is the suite experience different on chartered cruises?

that is the only way i can write it off on my taxes is if they are chartered.

On the subject of storage -- Celebrity is providing facilities for children -- hoping to attract more young families -- can you imagine putting all the things needed for a family of four in the closest as pictured?

Celebrity, please, give us more storage -- you can do this and still maintain your sleek "modern" image -- whatever that is -- more shelves, more hooks on the wall -- more drawer space -- it can be done.

Have to be chartered by the AMA for CME's- or similar professional groups, not for "Impractical Jokers", or Oldies groups! LOL

yea, what are those cruises like?

jokers can go on those chartered cruises too. :p:D

Over to the Carnival boards for you then, boy!

No seriously. We really do need a tongue in cheek smiley!

:'):')