Celebrity Cruises to Modernize All Cabins and Suites Across Fleet and Add New Sundeck

LauraS

I haven’t seen a chocolate parade on HAL in years or finger food items at the bar.

The dried fruit was just left there on our last cruise a little less than a year ago without the “yum yum” man handling it out.

They definitely have more open public space than Celebrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The chocolate parade is new! It rolled out fleet wide by July 2017.

And I experienced it on Koningsdam by myself roughly 6 weeks ago.

The dried fruits were available every evening during our cruise.

The finger food items to help ourselves were available in the Billboard Lounge every evening, for every passenger. And I think, during happy hours, also in the crows nest.

Not to forget: Celebrity has standardized its MDR menus totally fleet wide.

HAL also to a certain extend, but according to the current destination, they are modified a little bit.

For example, there were fresh Norwegian mussels and fish one day, whereas in Alaska, they seem to serve fresh crab legs.

All in the MDR, for free!

Just back from 14 day Canada/NE on Summit. There was hardly anybody on board under 60 and most much older. Never saw a kid of any age - although that is not unusual given that school is in session. By the way service on this M-class ship was exceptional. I hope they keep M-Class and upgrade them.

Kids all over the ship in August-we had 500 kids when we sailed! Also during the summer, the summit attracts many multigenerational families, so the ages vary. For a two week cruise- especially during school time, many less children and yes an older crowd as they can travel for longer periods and during the school year.

I agree the service is wonderful on the summit, however the cabins need major renovation to continue to attract customers.

Celebrity's announcement on "fit and finish" addresses superficial elements of their fleet. No doubt the ships will be nicely spiffed up and I am sure the ships will be happy to have been updated! Celebrity is botoxing their fleet!

I assume it is designed to attract more of their desired young demographic (the modern design) and those who wish to have a suite experience (restricted spaces).

This announcement is also consistent with the trend in the mass market to create the "ship within a ship" and "looking in" - cruise philosophies designed to distract customers from looking at the ocean or islands and create a captive market in order to extract more cash. This cruise philosophy attracts some and repels others.

I can't help but reflect that the "ship within a ship" suite/haven focus is the opposite of the original cruise industry philosophy in the 1970's - when the fledgling Carnival/NCL slammed Cunard and the French line for their class focus and discrimination. At that time, the cruise industry repudiated separate classes of guests - everyone had access to every part of their cruise ships and the only differentiation was the size of the cabin and what you paid for it. When the SS France was held hostage by the crew in late 1974, Mickey Arnison from Carnival clapped his hands with glee and offered the crew jobs on his new cruise ships.

Well, well, look where we are now. What goes around comes around.

Since a company can not be all things to all people, Celebrity is choosing to focus on a new target market and previous customers like me and others less so. Full steam ahead Celebrity.

For customers who are not attracted by the above, Oceania, Azamara and Viking are available for purchase.

As I mentioned before, on the Oceania Marina, I met many, many guests who were former Celebrity patrons. Albeit a small sample, it does seem that former Celebrity guests are looking at other providers. I reported my cruise experience to my TA in Toronto and he said that of his customers, Celebrity is losing more clients than any of the other lines. Oceania is now the preferred supplier for his clients moving from the mass lines.

The Oceania Marina had amazing deck space and vistas of the sea and lounging areas. There were no restricted areas by class other than 2 lounges for conciege and suite, rarely used according to stewards. All guests ate at all the amazing restaurants. The food quality was outstanding and the service over the top - when I completed a plate it was gone asap. In the pool deck cafe, staff carried your plate to your table. Like the old Celebrity. There were flavoured ices delivered on pool deck ,like the old Celebrity. The high tea was beyond words in the forward Horizon lounge overlooking the bow like the old Celebrity.

Some earlier posts noted that other cruise lines provide shore information to guests - but not Celebrity - on Oceania Marina - local staff came aboard and set up tables with multiple town folk providing information for take away.

There seems to be 4 trends in cruising:

1) Price - Some focus on only the lowest price and book and others are willing to pay a higher price to purchase other factors

2) Traditional vs Futurist Product - Some traditional focused guests are moving away from the mass lines and others are staying with the mass lines as they focus more on the younger demographic with diversions

3) Class system - This is a fixation in particular for the mass lines

4) Booze packages - This almost forced purchase of booze packages was the subject of much discussion on Oceania Marina, not appealing to anyone I spoke to. Also, guests were also on Marina because they refused to have to pay for booze in their fare on Viking and Azamara

In any event, hope each cruiser can find a cruise line that brings them what they want mostly and much joy sailing.

Nothing stays the same, so cast a wide net and see what ship you find!

Happy sailing!

Celebrity's announcement on "fit and finish" addresses superficial elements of their fleet. No doubt the ships will be nicely spiffed up and I am sure the ships will be happy to have been updated! Celebrity is botoxing their fleet!

I assume it is designed to attract more of their desired young demographic (the modern design) and those who wish to have a suite experience (restricted spaces).

This announcement is also consistent with the trend in the mass market to create the "ship within a ship" and "looking in" - cruise philosophies designed to distract customers from looking at the ocean or islands and create a captive market in order to extract more cash. This cruise philosophy attracts some and repels others.

I can't help but reflect that the "ship within a ship" suite/haven focus is the opposite of the original cruise industry philosophy in the 1970's - when the fledgling Carnival/NCL slammed Cunard and the French line for their class focus and discrimination. At that time, the cruise industry repudiated separate classes of guests - everyone had access to every part of their cruise ships and the only differentiation was the size of the cabin and what you paid for it. When the SS France was held hostage by the crew in late 1974, Mickey Arnison from Carnival clapped his hands with glee and offered the crew jobs on his new cruise ships.

Well, well, look where we are now. What goes around comes around.

Since a company can not be all things to all people, Celebrity is choosing to focus on a new target market and previous customers like me and others less so. Full steam ahead Celebrity.

For customers who are not attracted by the above, Oceania, Azamara and Viking are available for purchase.

As I mentioned before, on the Oceania Marina, I met many, many guests who were former Celebrity patrons. Albeit a small sample, it does seem that former Celebrity guests are looking at other providers. I reported my cruise experience to my TA in Toronto and he said that of his customers, Celebrity is losing more clients than any of the other lines. Oceania is now the preferred supplier for his clients moving from the mass lines.

The Oceania Marina had amazing deck space and vistas of the sea and lounging areas. There were no restricted areas by class other than 2 lounges for conciege and suite, rarely used according to stewards. All guests ate at all the amazing restaurants. The food quality was outstanding and the service over the top - when I completed a plate it was gone asap. In the pool deck cafe, staff carried your plate to your table. Like the old Celebrity. There were flavoured ices delivered on pool deck ,like the old Celebrity. The high tea was beyond words in the forward Horizon lounge overlooking the bow like the old Celebrity.

Some earlier posts noted that other cruise lines provide shore information to guests - but not Celebrity - on Oceania Marina - local staff came aboard and set up tables with multiple town folk providing information for take away.

There seems to be 4 trends in cruising:

1) Price - Some focus on only the lowest price and book and others are willing to pay a higher price to purchase other factors

2) Traditional vs Futurist Product - Some traditional focused guests are moving away from the mass lines and others are staying with the mass lines as they focus more on the younger demographic with diversions

3) Class system - This is a fixation in particular for the mass lines

4) Booze packages - This almost forced purchase of booze packages was the subject of much discussion on Oceania Marina, not appealing to anyone I spoke to. Also, guests were also on Marina because they refused to have to pay for booze in their fare on Viking and Azamara

In any event, hope each cruiser can find a cruise line that brings them what they want mostly and much joy sailing.

Nothing stays the same, so cast a wide net and see what ship you find!

Happy sailing!

I do not have an issue with X targeting an added demographic to board their ships, as they are NOT excluding the current demographic/market. It is the latter who may feel left out of the mix and it is not intentional, but deliberately targeting an 'additional' market to fill their vessels.

It matters not what X is doing to 'up grade' the look of their fleet(s), but it does matter what guests aboard think about the changes and will they sail again. I think they will sail again and X may have to change some or all of the currently announced up-grades. Who knows until the inaugural

The previous market, obviously, have other lines to move to, if we felt/believe that there is a devaluation or lack of appreciation of our well spent $$$ or dismissed or otherwise disgusted by the changes. Or, we can go with the flow and enjoy the current and new changes in the wings waiting to sail and enjoy our fellow passengers, ports and crew attending to our needs while aboard.

Thanks for your posts and bon voyage

Just back from 14 day Canada/NE on Summit. There was hardly anybody on board under 60 and most much older. Never saw a kid of any age - although that is not unusual given that school is in session. By the way service on this M-class ship was exceptional. I hope they keep M-Class and upgrade them.

I'm under 60 and I was on board. I hope that doesn't mean I look old for my age.

We saw a handful of kids and some infants on board.

The ship does need to be updated / upgraded and I hope they keep the M Class around.

Fyi

A poster who is on the Eclipse to Canaries route just posted this regarding S-Class refurb planned:

I had a very interesting chat with John Escobar this afternoon....

One little gem He did pass pass while chatting this afternoon was that in the forth coming refurb (revolution) there will be additional suites added to the s class ships possibly around the sky lounge.

If they are modeling the S-Class suite changes on the Edge designs for suite area, the deck plans on Celebrity site for Edge show front of ship 2 deck suite Retreat areas, suite pool area, Luminae and suite cabins.

check it out here and scroll down to deck plans (Deck 15 and 16):

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-ships/celebrity-edge

Looks like they'll split the Suite exclusive areas between the pool/sundeck/bar area on 16 and the forward, port side of deck 12 for The Retreat and Luminae. Deck 14 is probably the gym/spa and 15 will most likely be the large public viewing/venue area at the front of the ship.

Seems to be more superficiality from Celebrity.

As previously posted, I assume that more common space will be removed from "regular passengers" and assigned to suites?

Will Celebrity improve their food offerings and service levels to the quality of previous years - to the point that the many complaints of late will disappear?

To many fit and finish to do override declining product offering.

The food's gone downhill? I was last on a ship in 2013 but am booked on an X ship again. The Celebrity food was something I really missed when I tried RCCL (even a suite) the past two years.

Oh oh, dislike! clear.png?emoji-thumbsdown-933

When a new suite retreat sundeck is due to be rolled out on all ships, that means for sure that some of the public deck space will be removed... clear.png?emoji-frown-1741

I am sure the front sundecks will be transformed into that particular suite-only-deck, and let's see, maybe they also take the observation lounges in the front of the ship from the public passengers, and turn it into a suite lounge...

After the new extra-cost burger bar, and the charging for sushi, this is the next step into nickle and diming.

The standard "mother" cruise line RCI provides more value for money so...

I'm sorry, but as I've been away, does "extra cost burger bar" mean that the Mast Grill is gone on M-class ships?

The food's gone downhill? I was last on a ship in 2013 but am booked on an X ship again. The Celebrity food was something I really missed when I tried RCCL (even a suite) the past two years.

Yes, badly. Just read some threads about changes over time.

My sailing this year on Millennium food was one of the biggest disappointments.

I'm sorry, but as I've been away, does "extra cost burger bar" mean that the Mast Grill is gone on M-class ships?

It was a change they put in a couple of months back that the Mast Grill was now charged for at US$10 for hot dogs and burgers.

After much dissatisfaction they reversed that change and it's back the way it was.

As far as I know, Constellation is the first and only cruise ship so far that has this extra cost burger venue.

The complimentary ones are available in OVC now, but the choices are reduced now.

And there’s conflicting information, if this extra cost burger venue is still active, or if it has been closed and the complimentary Mast Bar is back...

Yes and no.

During our last X cruise in August 2015, I was (very) satisfied with the food quality as such.

Always tasteful, never overcooked, etc.

But one can say, the food is gone downhill, due to the following aspects:

The MDR dishes are not as special as they used to be: Oysters Rockefeller (starter at the second formal night) are gone, and replaced by far less special Scallops Rockefeller.

Other lines serve Scallops on regular nights, as starter and entree.

When browsing the MDR menus, the same food options could also be offered on RCI or NCL ships. Not that they serve bad food - I really found it to be good. But they are middle class lines, and Celebrity, which has a premium approach, should offer something more special.

HAL and Princess also can do this...

And I must say: Even NCL provided some more special dishes.

Aqua Spa Café: For breakfast and lunch, there used to be many healthy alternative options for free. Now the options of those items are widely reduced, just a few fittata dishes are for free now, and some tiny muffins.

Smoothies and parfaits you need to pay for now.

Special food/culinary events like Tea Time, Brunsh are gone as well. HAL offers a chocolate parade, tea time or finger food at the bars, Princess does a free pub lunch, or a tea time as well.

And after dinner, Princess offers petit fours at formal nights. Celebrity used to do, but they don't do anymore...

Ocean View Café: Sushi items, that used to be free, are gone. Now you pay for them at Sushi on Five.

Don't worry about the Mast Grill charging. After a few weeks of it not going well they dropped it. Free burgers/hot dogs at that the Mast Grill. :D

If they are modeling the S-Class suite changes on the Edge designs for suite area, the deck plans on Celebrity site for Edge show front of ship 2 deck suite Retreat areas, suite pool area, Luminae and suite cabins.

check it out here and scroll down to deck plans (Deck 15 and 16):

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-ships/celebrity-edge

Deck 15 and 16 remind me of The Haven on the NCL ships- While these types of suites are expensive, IMO, the edge is getting booked up quickly. My DH and I are sailing on her for two weeks in January 2019, and very few cabins are available. Clearly the suites are attracting many people regardless of the high prices. While we enjoy sky suites, we took Edge balcony cabins as the prices were very high when we booked.

Deck 15 and 16 remind me of The Haven on the NCL ships- While these types of suites are expensive, IMO, the edge is getting booked up quickly. My DH and I are sailing on her for two weeks in January 2019, and very few cabins are available. Clearly the suites are attracting many people regardless of the high prices. While we enjoy sky suites, we took Edge balcony cabins as the prices were very high when we booked.

Plenty of time left for cancellations before Jan 2019, you may yet end up with your usual sky suite ;). X have already started chartering her out, no doubt there’ll be more changes announced over the next year.

Perhaps X are hoping the refurbishments will entice pax to ‘spread’ their cruising experiences throughout the fleet rather than just booking the newer classes? It will be more interesting to see if the amount of suites is increased after the refits - X can always reconfigure the current layouts to incorporate more suites and even more revenue ;).

Plenty of time left for cancellations before Jan 2019, you may yet end up with your usual sky suite ;). X have already started chartering her out, no doubt there’ll be more changes announced over the next year.

Perhaps X are hoping the refurbishments will entice pax to ‘spread’ their cruising experiences throughout the fleet rather than just booking the newer classes? It will be more interesting to see if the amount of suites is increased after the refits - X can always reconfigure the current layouts to incorporate more suites and even more revenue ;).

X charters a lot of their newer ships too.

I see a lot of chartered cruises on newer sihps available for the professional organizations i belong too.

Don't worry about the Mast Grill charging. After a few weeks of it not going well they dropped it. Free burgers/hot dogs at that the Mast Grill. :D

On M-Class ships the grill on Deck 10 with free burgers and hot dogs is actually called the "Pool Grill" to avoid confusion and is located near the entrance to the Oceanview Cafe. On one M-Class ship only (Constellation) it was replaced with the Top Deck Burger Bar (TDBB) which had a charge for a premium burger. This lasted only for a few cruises this year before the concept was abandoned and it reverted back to the Pool Grill. On S-Class ships the "Mast Grill" is more forward of the pool and has the free burgers. On one S-Class ship (Equinox) it was replaced very briefly by the TDBB but was quickly reverted back to the free Mast Grill. On S-Class you can still purchase a premium burger at the Lawn Club Grill for example. No such option on M-Class.

X charters a lot of their newer ships too.

I see a lot of chartered cruises on newer sihps available for the professional organizations i belong too.

Which is what I was saying about Edge, the charters are already coming in and she hasn’t even sailed yet ;).