Diamond Plus tries turning Black on MSC

As they don’t serve water or coffee in the dining room you use your package to get water and then have coffee in the coffee bar.

Can you clarify this... they don't serve TAP WATER in the dining room, or "fancy bottled water" (still or fizzy)???

This would be a deal-breaker for me, if you can't get a glass of tap water with your meal at no charge!!!!!

Can you clarify this... they don't serve TAP WATER in the dining room, or "fancy bottled water" (still or fizzy)???

This would be a deal-breaker for me, if you can't get a glass of tap water with your meal at no charge!!!!!

No, they don't serve tap water in the dining room, only bottled water. This is the norm in European (but not UK) restaurants. They also do not serve tea/coffee after the meal in the restaurant, again in Europe you usually go to the bar for this.

As mentioned they offer a free water package for some cruises for anyone who books in the US. Lots of details about this on the MSC board.

Julie

It's a European cruise line. No one drinks tap water in restaurants in Europe. However, for the ships sailing in the Caribbean, tap water is available free of charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is a VERY broad generalisation. Europe is a huge continent, made up of many countries. And yes, some of those countries do drink tap water in restaurants, including here in the UK (which is in Europe!)

No they don’t serve tap water in the dining room. You can get bottled, still or sparking, on your drinks pacakage if you have one, or you pay for it.

In the buffet you can get water from a dispenser, you don’t have to pay there.

They do not serve coffee after the meal, again depending on your drinks package, if you have one, you can get it in the coffee bar, or you pay for it.

No, they don't serve tap water in the dining room, only bottled water. This is the norm in European (but not UK) restaurants. They also do not serve tea/coffee after the meal in the restaurant, again in Europe you usually go to the bar for this.

As mentioned they offer a free water package for some cruises for anyone who books in the US. Lots of details about this on the MSC board.

Julie

Sorry, this is not the case. In restaurants in Europe all you have to do is ask for tap water. Not just the UK but other European countries as well. The same with coffee, if you want it in a restaurant after your meal you can have it. No bother.

Sorry, this is not the case. In restaurants in Europe all you have to do is ask for tap water. Not just the UK but other European countries as well. The same with coffee, if you want it in a restaurant after your meal you can have it. No bother.

Yes, I agree with you, you can probably get it if you ask but it is not the norm. MSC is an Italian cruise line and most Italians would expect to drink bottled water in a restaurant in their own country. Even in the UK many diners choose to drink bottled water in a nice restaurant.

In the US tap water seems to be supplied as standard without it being asked for. Just a cultural difference:)

Julie

Sorry for the delay, my Wi-fi package only covers social media etc, and doesn’t allow web browsing, .....so after a sea day, today we are in LaCoruna and I have roaming access.

So where was I.... ah... dining!

The first concern of mine, being a Bella was what dining we would get. Bella can only request and they find out on board. Happy to report that we got our table at late seating (8;30). Bella are not able to have MTD.

Golden Lobster dining room very nicely appointed. A little crowded.

MSC do not serve water at dinner - a glass of water would cost you 0,75c for 20cl, so another benefit of having the package!

So many reports are that the food is lukewarm. Not my experience last night. Not huge portions but certainly enough.

So another success.

They don’t offer coffee afterwards but I have heard you can request it, or you go to the coffee shop. The coffee on board is superb, as you would expect. Coffee included in the drinks package.

Buffet is large and open 20/24hrs. The pizza is excellent, as you would expect!

f412ff017f7079d60b1566531b4309df.jpg

Random stuff: It is Pepsi on board, not Coke. The hairdryers are wired into the drawer of the dresser and it’s the sort you have to keep your finger on.

2 containers in the shower- body wash and shampoo.

Glass shower doors that fold in.

TV channels in English include: BBC world news, cnn intl, bbc Britain, BBC lifestyle, Bloomberg, sky news intl

On the sea day we explored. Shops with a large selection of merchandise, a well stocked pharmacy, some great handbags and shoes... and MSC branded fleeces were only €29 ($34.50).

The English are definitely in a minority on the cruise, mostly Germans and Italians. Many family groups playing cards. Many more children than I thought there would be at this time of year.... in the centrum today the kids were all learning how to make gnocchi... and then they ate their produce! All very quiet and well behaved with very studious faces! a3f356c49fd892c46dcbde1102c57888.jpg

c37c7843aa2b81857bbd41f49be49740.jpg

Day 1 dinner

76d1780726b204dc2af3da01f8c4ef9d.jpg

Formal night dinner on day 2

I’d say about 75% we dressed very nicely on formal night, lots of Tux and glamorous dresses. Others not so......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by little britain

Enjoying your reports, thanks.

Can you tell me a bit more about the internet package as we have the same next year and not really sure what it covers.

Will we be able to check emails (hotmail)?

Thanks,

Julie

Julie and Bob

I bought the Social package which allows social media browsing only. No hotmail, websites and not even the Tapatalk app!

The Surfer package is an extra €15 on board for the 7n cruise and covers 2 devices.

43578d868e0866c17a64ce61adff2fdf.jpg

The Streamer package costs an extra €39. 50 on board and gives you full access and covers 4 packages and you get the priority bandwidth

18ad0ba577cbd4b59812669bd66a482e.jpg

Remember I had paid £14 beforehand for the Social package so these these charges are on top.

If you were to buy the packages on board they cost:

f70b24c60e5221a7f9af0b2164b34aea.jpg

287c6dd1e7ee06cd08de7dfbc9fefd8e.jpg

4501fcf7ba2e354ec2e76bd87932ff65.jpg

Another winner for MSC prices over RCI I’m afraid [emoji857]

Looks good. I see that it includes email, but get the feeling that web based email is not included. They must be limiting it to POP/IMAP protocols.

Julie and Bob

I bought the Social package which allows social media browsing only. No hotmail, websites and not even the Tapatalk app!

The Surfer package is an extra €15 on board for the 7n cruise and covers 2 devices.

43578d868e0866c17a64ce61adff2fdf.jpg

The Streamer package costs an extra €39. 50 on board and gives you full access and covers 4 packages and you get the priority bandwidth

18ad0ba577cbd4b59812669bd66a482e.jpg

Remember I had paid £14 beforehand for the Social package so these these charges are on top.

If you were to buy the packages on board they cost:

f70b24c60e5221a7f9af0b2164b34aea.jpg

287c6dd1e7ee06cd08de7dfbc9fefd8e.jpg

4501fcf7ba2e354ec2e76bd87932ff65.jpg

Thanks for the info.

We've got the social package (and drink package) included as an offer with our booking. Didn't really know what it was but hopefully will be able to upgrade onboard to the surfer package for that sort of price.

Julie

Looks good. I see that it includes email, but get the feeling that web based email is not included. They must be limiting it to POP/IMAP protocols.

I'm confused about which package you're talking about. Surfer and Streamer packages both include "email checking" and "web browsing". Web-based email (gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc.) would be available either way.

And the Social package specifically doesn't include email, so obviously your comment isn't about that.

Did I miss a package???

First bad mark! One of the Black benefits clearly states a “free photo” so after having several done on formal night we go to the photo area to pick. They have printed them all out, 25 ish in total, colour, b&w, sepia, 7x5 and some huge 12x10 ones (what a waste!!!). Select photo and they want €19.99 for a small one and €29.99 for the large!!!!! No, I say, one is free.......no they say , your free one is only the one taken at the Black members private party......no I say, where does it say that I say? I now get the feeling that they must have this argument every night of every cruise!! He knocked €10 off the price so I got the small one for €9.99. Incidentally it is probably the best photo I have ever had taken on a ship!!! Likewise for my friend!!!

Random stuff:

Your pool towels are left in the cabin. No towel station by the pool. There is a blanket station ( presumably for chillier climates by the pool)

The shower doors fold inwards when not in use giving much more room in the bathroom. Very smart. d6e25a7faf609fb4346a2881fc419b60.jpg

So the 4:00 sail away from A Coruña was actually at 4:30. “Time to say goodbye” over the speakers !

Last night we went to Eataly, one of only 2 specialty restaurants on board. You are offered a reduced menu; which consisted of plate of meat and cheese, spaghetti with swordfish and tomato sauce, a choice of shrimp or beef, and then a chocolate mousse. All good but very slow service.

FWIW, I did a mock booking ion the Divina. Looks like I can get a GS equivalent room for about half the price I am paying on the Anthem. That is very tempting. Especially if they'll match my status.

They match your status, but, not your benefits. You get some nice benefits, but, it's not like being Diamond Plus on Royal. You do get 5% off, but, before all this status matching started, Black Members (equal to Diamond) got 20% off.

Select photo and they want €19.99 for a small one and €29.99 for the large!!!!! No, I say, one is free.......no they say , your free one is only the one taken at the Black members private party......no I say, where does it say that I say? I now get the feeling that they must have this argument every night of every cruise!

I've sailed Divina out of FL a few times and I have always taken my boarding photo as my free photo since it shows the Ship, dates, ports, etc. As a single, I don't stop to pose for many pictures, but, always get that freebie. :hearteyes:

Thanks for your review. We are also D+ and have seriously thought about doing the status match and booking a cruise. So far, it seems ok.

I have a question if you don't mind. What are the smoking rules and have you noticed much cigarette smoke through the ship? This, unfortunately, would be the determining factor for us due to health reasons, if we can cruise with them or not.