Out of all the cut backs over the years, what is the one thing ...

sassy~one

Thank you everyone! I forgot about the Yum Yum Man, the dutch hats, the tea, and all the other changes i have seen being posted. I have not been on HAL for a while.

So are there still cloth towels in the bathrooms?

Someone wrote about a room service charge, how does that work? Is it every order? What about coffee in the am?

thanks again.

Yes - last month on Zuiderdam there were cloth hand towels - no charge for coffee, juice toast AM room service, but a flat charge for full breakfast.

We cruise HAL because we can afford it. With that said, we may be the type of folks HAL is trying to attract. We don’t care about the shows. We like the food. We will pay extra for specialty dining. Don’t care about the spa so maybe we don’t fit exactly. We like the Neptune Suites. We could pay the same on a fancier line but for a less fancy room. We’re not pool people. Our goal is to relax and spend time together and to be taken care of. So far, HAL fits the bill. Sure, I’d love to cruise on Crystal or Cunard or Seabourn but I accept that my finances can’t handle it and am happy with what I CAN have

I miss the Captain’s cocktail party the way it was in 1998. And the chocolate buffet. That’s about all I miss. We dress for dinner every night onboard but likely not to the extent that could be called “formal”.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes - last month on Zuiderdam there were cloth hand towels - no charge for coffee, juice toast AM room service, but a flat charge for full breakfast.

Yowza! Now a charge for room service breakfast? DH prefers to run up to the Lido. Sometimes I hang back and order coffee, juice, and a croissant . Or coffee and oatmeal.

Guess they're trying to cut down on the craziness of breakfast room service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yowza! Now a charge for room service breakfast? DH prefers to run up to the Lido. Sometimes I hang back and order coffee, juice, and a croissant . Or coffee and oatmeal.

Guess they're trying to cut down on the craziness of breakfast room service.

If I remember correctly they started charging for a few things about a year ago. For most items there is no charge for. The menu has been pared down but it appears that you can still write items in and get them.

Here is a link showing the new breakfast hang tag menu

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Room-Service-and-Breakfast-Card.pdf

Edited by Florida_gal_50
Add link for menu

If I remember correctly they started charging for a few things about a year ago. For most items there is no charge for. The menu has been pared down but it appears that you can still write items in and get them.

We haven't cruised since a Bermuda cruise in '15. Lots of changes since then. [emoji50]

All good points --- but is there a comparably priced line you prefer to HAL? To rephrase and old economics cliche: a falling tide lowers all boats.

I don't know. But what I pay for my solo Neptune suite, I could sail most any ship I wish u but have done almost no research. For me and my late, Dh, HAL has always been about the people. We always found the people of hAL to be quite special. Some are so over worked now, it pains me to see it.

Edited by sail7seas

Sail I know, but I was sailing with them in 1980, and still have photos and memories of those days. I also miss the crew shows. They were wonderful. I keep coming back to HAL I guess because I'm comfortable with the cabin size, the service and the elegance of the older ships. Sadly Crystal, my favorite cruise line is rather expensive to take family on even though it is now all inclusive.

They still have the crew shows, but usually in the afternoons now. (Or perhaps they are only on the longer cruises now). Like you, I miss the live music in the MDR. I also enjoyed afternoon teas in the MDR but the last couple of cruises it has been in the Ocean Bar - very hard to juggle all the pots and crockery on those little tables!

Thank you everyone! I forgot about the Yum Yum Man, the dutch hats, the tea, and all the other changes i have seen being posted. I have not been on HAL for a while.

So are there still cloth towels in the bathrooms?

Someone wrote about a room service charge, how does that work? Is it every order? What about coffee in the am?

thanks again.

Yes there are still cloth towels in the bathrooms [at least there was this past June]. That is a special touch that I've not seen on other lines [not even Cunard] and I really appreciate. The Yum Yum man is still there. People on CC always seen to be doing away with him in their posts but, again in June, he was just as wonderful as ever outside the MDR.

Also, the crew show was still performed as of June. That is an extremely special HAL feature that I hope they never do away with. You can tell that the crew who participate really enjoy showing off their culture to the passengers. Both the Indonesian and the Filipino show are wonderful.

Room service has some items for an additional charge but we could still get a hot breakfast for no charge on Zuiderdam. They streamlined the menu so you order a full plated breakfast now rather than each item a la carte.

I really missed the Royal Dutch and Indonesian teas.

Also, the Indonesian lunch buffet was wonderful and is also gone :-(

They still have the crew shows, but usually in the afternoons now. (Or perhaps they are only on the longer cruises now).

No crew show on my last B2B. The HAL cruise before that in 2013 had 2. The best magicians, comedians, polished production shows cannot beat those. I've never seen so many people almost falling from their chairs from laughing.

I don't know. But what I pay for my solo Neptune suite, I could sail most any ship I wish u but have done almost no research. For me and my late, Dh, HAL has always been about the people. We always found the people of hAL to be quite special. Some are so over worked now, it pains me to see it.

Now there it is - the people, overworked and stretched thin as they are, still make HAL what it is. Their unmatched service - anticipating needs, not grovelling - but happy to spare a bit of their time to interact: maybe that too will fade away, but as recently as last month on Zuiderdam from Quebec to New York, that HAL spirit was still there -- made more personal by running into three we had on previous sailings. Whatever else they may be doing wrong, their staffing agents in Indonesia an the Philipines are still doing good work.

I just read through this thread and it seems there is a consistency issue. I've only sailed HAL once. Dec 2016 on the Westerdam. So, not even a year ago. Some findings:

- "Yum Yum Man" I had to google, but I think it was him. Each night after dinner there was a man dressed like a bell hop with a cart offering ginger and mints outside the MDR. I had open seating even.

- Room service was almost all included. There were only a few breakfast items that had an extra charge, and I know one of which included a cooked to order steak. Everything else was brought to my room no charge. I even wrote in items I wanted ala cart that were not a part of their new menu cards.

- I watched an excellent crew show on the Main Stage.

- I attended a very interesting and informative educational lecture about the culture of Mexico.

- I was behind a gentleman who was professsionally and tactfully asked to come back to the MDR with different attire to comply with the dress code.

- Pleanty of wooden loungers and chairs on the promenade.

Now, are you all sitting down? I'm a... MILLENNIAL! :eek: Born in 1981.

I appreciate all of the things that HAL tradition seems to be keeping. I wanted to share my perspective here, since I think some of these changes are to market to cruisers like me. I really *don't* care about a lot of the things HAL seems to be getting rid of that really do add to the costs.

I don't care about cruise logs, or having special exclusive parties/events for the suite guests (my next cruise is in a suite, still don't care for anything like that).

That said, I'm sure there are things I care about that many HAL cruisers don't care about.

I have read on here that some people are paying the same fares they were paying 20 years ago. That is so HAL doesn't out price themselves. They are competive with their costs of cruising against other lines and for a little bit more money you get a lot more service and product and luxury than you do on other major lines.

I like HAL. I will continue to sail with HAL.

People complaining seem to think HAL is just taking in the money by depriving customers of what used to be. Most ppl seem to be shareholders for the OBC, is thier stock skyrocketing? Do the CEOs make much more than the CEOs from the past? I am not being cheeky here, it would be interesting to compare last profit margins and see if they are making more or if they are trying to adapt to a new market?

*** I do not think everyone is complaining here. Mentioning what you miss is not what I'm referring to. Most posts are filled with great memories and nostalgia. There are some in this thread and some who regularly post who do seem upset and bitter about changes.

Well it's all very interesting I must say. Holland America Line has, as its president, a man who apparently doesn't even like cruise vacations.. and never took one until he joined the company. And hasn't been back, either. It's like a blind man running an art gallery.

I think you have said it all.I understand that he had no cruise line experience till now.Trying to impose your mark on a successful product often ruins that product.

. I also enjoyed afternoon teas in the MDR but the last couple of cruises it has been in the Ocean Bar - very hard to juggle all the pots and crockery on those little tables!

It's especially tricky when you have your good friend and shopping buddy join you and we have to get creative to juggle for four.

I just read through this thread and it seems there is a consistency issue. I've only sailed HAL once. Dec 2016 on the Westerdam. So, not even a year ago. Some findings:

- "Yum Yum Man" I had to google, but I think it was him. Each night after dinner there was a man dressed like a bell hop with a cart offering ginger and mints outside the MDR. I had open seating even.

- Room service was almost all included. There were only a few breakfast items that had an extra charge, and I know one of which included a cooked to order steak. Everything else was brought to my room no charge. I even wrote in items I wanted ala cart that were not a part of their new menu cards.

- I watched an excellent crew show on the Main Stage.

- I attended a very interesting and informative educational lecture about the culture of Mexico.

- I was behind a gentleman who was professsionally and tactfully asked to come back to the MDR with different attire to comply with the dress code.

- Pleanty of wooden loungers and chairs on the promenade.

Now, are you all sitting down? I'm a... MILLENNIAL! :eek: Born in 1981.

I appreciate all of the things that HAL tradition seems to be keeping. I wanted to share my perspective here, since I think some of these changes are to market to cruisers like me. I really *don't* care about a lot of the things HAL seems to be getting rid of that really do add to the costs.

I don't care about cruise logs, or having special exclusive parties/events for the suite guests (my next cruise is in a suite, still don't care for anything like that).

That said, I'm sure there are things I care about that many HAL cruisers don't care about.

I have read on here that some people are paying the same fares they were paying 20 years ago. That is so HAL doesn't out price themselves. They are competive with their costs of cruising against other lines and for a little bit more money you get a lot more service and product and luxury than you do on other major lines.

I like HAL. I will continue to sail with HAL.

People complaining seem to think HAL is just taking in the money by depriving customers of what used to be. Most ppl seem to be shareholders for the OBC, is thier stock skyrocketing? Do the CEOs make much more than the CEOs from the past? I am not being cheeky here, it would be interesting to compare last profit margins and see if they are making more or if they are trying to adapt to a new market?

*** I do not think everyone is complaining here. Mentioning what you miss is not what I'm referring to. Most posts are filled with great memories and nostalgia. There are some in this thread and some who regularly post who do seem upset and bitter about changes.

Great post. I enjoyed reading it

I had to laugh the way you identify yourself as a Millenial as tthough that would be a negative. I doubt any here have an issue against millenials in general. What's wrong with being young? :D I've not met any 'young'uns' I didn't tthink were fun.

I think some of the issues that HAL has is trying to determine whether or not the majority of cruisers, current and future, really care about things like getting a hard copy set of cruise documents, the yum yum man, signed copies of the MDR menu, tea service in the afternoon (where ever they have it). crew shows, mariner lunches, etc. etc. It is challenging for a mass market line to keep moving forward with them. When we select HAL, not one of these attributes enters into our decision process.

If you asked us if we would pay $5. more for those attributes the answer would be negative. I know our children would not pay more either.

We would however be willing to pay more for better MDR meals/ preparation,/selection/service, and better entertainment/enrichment lectures.

Edited by iancal

The cheapest cruise is to stay home. So I guess if cost is the no. 1 criteria for you, who cares? One just books the cheapest cruise on the desired date and be done with it. How simple is that?

If, however, you come to cherish aspects (no matter how trivial they might be to others) of a cruise line or a ship, they matter. It's probably what makes you return. And when they are removed... usually without notice and most certainly without your approval or consultation, it lessens the VALUE of what you paying for... regardless of the cost. Now, you might come to value the "new" stuff as much or more. Personally, I don't. I gave up on Holland America oh about six years ago and saw the writing on the wall. The price is cheap but the VALUE, for me anyway, is gone. I'd rather stay home. What I liked about HAL is largely gone or going.

Cruising isn't a necessity. Like any vacation it's supposed to be largely about YOU and your preferences. I couldn't care less about HAL's marketing plans or its bottom line. I am the customer. Or was. I am happy to wave everyone off on the -DAM from the dock.

The cheapest cruise is to stay home. ( HOW is that a a cruise?, staying home?) So I guess if cost is the no. 1 criteria for you, who cares? One just books the cheapest cruise on the desired date and be done with it. How simple is that? It is not that simple when cost is not the no. 1 criterea :)

If, however, you come to cherish aspects (no matter how trivial they might be to others) of a cruise line or a ship, they matter. It's probably what makes you return. And when they are removed... usually without notice and most certainly without your approval or consultation, it lessens the VALUE of what you paying for... regardless of the cost. Now, you might come to value the "new" stuff as much or more. Personally, I don't. I gave up on Holland America oh about six years ago and saw the writing on the wall. The price is cheap but the VALUE, for me anyway, is gone. I'd rather stay home. What I liked about HAL is largely gone or going.

Cruising isn't a necessity. Like any vacation it's supposed to be largely about YOU and your preferences. I couldn't care less about HAL's marketing plans or its bottom line. I am the customer. Or was. I am happy to wave everyone off on the -DAM from the dock.

It is not necessarily an issue of the cheapest cruise. It could well be an issue of appealing to the widest market possible and focusing their on board expense budget toward meeting the expectations and wants of that market.

HAL is a mass market line. They have lots of cabins to fill each week. My guess is that they feel the need to focus their efforts on that market and to be in a place where the market is going in terms of attributes and offerings vs where it used to be. Business cannot look back in the rear view mirror....they have to continue to move forward and meet changing markets, changing tastes, changing demands. Look what happened to that raft of department stores that failed to do this and are no longer in business.

It might be different if HAL only operated a few small ships. It would allow them to refine their target market. But this simply is not their business environment.

Baby Boomers, now in the 53-71 yr. old age bracket, are the biggest age cohort with the most disposable income to spend on activities such as cruising. I would think this would be HAL's target audience.

Roz

My wife and I (ages 69 and 64, both retired) have sailed with HAL eight times, most recently on a 12-night British Isles cruise on the Zuiderdam a couple of months ago. But in recent years, we've sailed on Silversea three times and Oceania (the "Riviera") once. I even went "solo" on a four-night "California Coastal" cruise on the Ruby Princess, just to see what a 3,100 passenger ship was like (it was interesting in some ways, but HAL is head-and-shoulders above Princess in almost every respect).

We have two future cruises booked, both on Oceania. If we find another bargain sailing on Silversea (and there really are some if you look hard enough) we might sail with them again, but sad to say, I think we're done with HAL. The recent Zuiderdam cruise was actually a good one in most respects, but there were so many "little" frustrations that in effect constituted a big frustration.

I won't repeat many of the ones that have been mentioned on this thread, but I'll add one more: the non-stop pop music everywhere. I'm an early riser, and I've always enjoyed going up to the outside Lido-level deck at daybreak to watch the ship pull into a port, or just to see the sun come up. But on the Zuiderdam my ears were assaulted by this mindless music, which seems even louder when there's no one else around. The Lido itself is no escape; the same music blasts at you there if you're trying to enjoy your first cup of coffee of the day in peace.

A quiet, refined ambiance was one of the "civilized" things we loved about HAL. Oceania is, to be sure, more expensive than HAL, but I feel it's worth paying more for. Of course, it's a newer line and never had many of those "lost" HAL traditions that many of us yearn for. But it has the look and feel of a "true" premium line, something that I'm not sure can be said of HAL today.

As I say, it's sad to see HAL in decline, but it's probably here to stay.

Oceania is, to be sure, more expensive than HAL, but I feel it's worth paying more for. Of course, it's a newer line and never had many of those "lost" HAL traditions that many of us yearn for. But it has the look and feel of a "true" premium line, something that I'm not sure can be said of HAL today.

As I say, it's sad to see HAL in decline, but it's probably here to stay.

It will stay as long as Ashford is at the top:(. HAL had my loyalty, but now I have 2 booked cruises on Oceania myself.