Child falls 2 stories in ship at port

LMaxwell

Did someone say an 8 year old should be on a leash? I know I didn't. I used one on my son until he was about 4 and then only in very crowded situations. I can't imagine even suggesting to use one on an older child.

Yes, someone said that if she was on a leash she would be alive. Then the topic went to her friends bullying her causing her to commit suicide in the future.

My heart goes out to this family. Accidents do tragically happen.

I have been reading this thread and holding my tongue (thumbs) but I cant anymore.

I am an injury lawyer. I do cruise law and I have sued Carnival, Royal/Celebrity and Norwegian a few times. They are not easy to work with and time is not on your side. Based on your cruise contract you only have 1 year to bring a claim.

The family needs a lawyer, the police don't move quick enough sometimes, relay incorrect information and such.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

This here is the problem. If the facts reported are true, and not saying they are. THEY SHOULD NOT BE SUING. Accidents happen. There's not always someone to 'blame'.

I get sick every time I'm home during the daytime and turn on the tv. All it is 1. Ads from lawyers encouraging everyone to sue for everything. 2. Attorneys trying to get people to jump on medical class actions.

I have no doubts that attorneys are calling the child's family left and right trying to get the case. It's sick and sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Amen.

I've been following and reading this since the first few hours it was reported and I've held back. An eight year old child who had her entire life ahead of her passed away and her family is left with a space that will never be filled.

No matter what happened on board I wish that on no one. Speaking of that let's stop with the words.... "I heard", "I read", "I saw", "supposedly"... A very few select people know exactly what happened on board and when/if that gets released to the public we will all know what happened. Let's not jump to crazy stories about what happened, what's next and where CCL goes from here. It's a tragedy no matter what - let's leave it at that.

May she rest in peace and prayers to those in her family and friends, I hope they have amazing memories from their last vacation with their little girl.

This here is the problem. If the facts reported are true, and not saying they are. THEY SHOULD NOT BE SUING. Accidents happen. There's not always someone to 'blame'.

I get sick every time I'm home during the daytime and turn on the tv. All it is 1. Ads from lawyers encouraging everyone to sue for everything. 2. Attorneys trying to get people to jump on medical class actions.

I have no doubts that attorneys are calling the child's family left and right trying to get the case. It's sick and sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Way to crop the rest of my post where I said that the law heavily favors the cruise line so if they are to blame they need to lawyer up quickly. As I said if the family believes the line was at fault a lawyer is a good person to hire to investigate. They will tell the family if there is nothing there.

I have withdrawn (terminated a client) many times after investigating and concluding no one was to blame.

Not every claim is frivolous as you seem to think so. I bet you think the McDonald Coffee Lawsuit was about a person accidently dropping coffee on themselves.

PS Lawyers can't call the family after an accident it's a violation of the Florida Bar Rules regarding solicitation.

There is a fairly high chrome shelf(?) around the bottom of the railing. It's easy to picture someone standing on it and leaning over the edge. Add a jostling crowd on disembarkation day and you have an accident.

nzrx2d

Yes... this is my 8 year old child and you can see that bottom ledge well. You also get an idea of how tall an 8 year comes up to the top of a railing.

[/url]IMG_6381-M.jpg

nzrx2d

Edited by TheGirlNextDoor

Way to crop the rest of my post where I said that the law heavily favors the cruise line so if they are to blame they need to lawyer up quickly. As I said if the family believes the line was at fault a lawyer is a good person to hire to investigate. They will tell the family if there is nothing there.

I have withdrawn (terminated a client) many times after investigating and concluding no one was to blame.

Not every claim is frivolous as you seem to think so. I bet you think the McDonald Coffee Lawsuit was about a person accidently dropping coffee on themselves.

PS Lawyers can't call the family after an accident it's a violation of the Florida Bar Rules regarding solicitation.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app[/quot

Everyone likes to knock lawyers. Let's face it, its easy to do. That is until they need one. Any money I ever paid a lawyer was worth every dime.

Edited by joeyancho

I have been reading this thread and holding my tongue (thumbs) but I cant anymore.

I am an injury lawyer. I do cruise law and I have sued Carnival, Royal/Celebrity and Norwegian a few times. They are not easy to work with and time is not on your side. Based on your cruise contract you only have 1 year to bring a claim.

The family needs a lawyer, the police don't move quick enough sometimes, relay incorrect information and such.

As an example I have a client who died in a motorcycle accident where a food Delivery guy cut in front of him. The police still haven't received the homicide report and its been 10 months. If this were a cruise case I would only have 2 months left.

They aren't, cruise lines are self insured. They pay these claims out of their own pocket and fight them as a result. They have staff counsel so it's not like they are paying by the hour.

Right they have insurance incase the ship is damaged not for passenger injury.

Not true either, cruise law is very difficult. The laws heavily favor the Cruise line and not the passenger. They get to select the forum (Southern District of Florida) and based on the new Pizzino ruling the Plaintiff has to provide that carnival knew of a dangerous condition but failed to warn.

While on land in Florida if the company created the dangerous condition then notice is imputed.

Thanks for weighing in! It is great to have an expert on this matter

Copy the full sentence. IF that 8 yr. old girl had a harness/leash on her, she would still be alive.

You have got to be kidding, right? I suppose with that logic if an eight year old is caged, she couldn't have an accident either. Geesh - some people!

I agree - a leash on an 8-year-old? Think about it - that’s a third grader, not a toddler. If there is a disability, that’s a different story.

An unfortunate incident and my heart goes out to the family but as a parent, you realistically change that safety bubble at certain stages of their life......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Leash a child with a disability? Barbaric. Never!

As the parent of a disabled child I am appalled at the people saying the child doesn't need a leash but maybe would need one if disabled. Do you even think before you post? No child should be leashed up like an animal.

Agreed. My 20 year old disabled son survived without a leash. He deserved the same as everyone else.

I also can't get over folks saying that THOUSANDS of people are disembarking at once. I've been on 8 cruises and have never been in a mob with thousands of people pushing and clawing their way off the boat every man for themselves... My 8 experiences have been with zones and a roped off line with people moving in a nice orderly fashion. My children are able to pull their own luggage and walk along with me. Never have they been snatched, trampled, hurt, etc. I don't raise my kids to be morons.

I was born in 1950 and my mother had a leash for me and I used one with my son who is now 44. It didn't scar either one of us and in fact I think it gives young children a greater sense of freedom. I think leashes are great, but obviously not appropriate for an 8 year old.

Leashes are for animals - not people.

It was already announced in the news article link that she died at the hospital. Not good news .... but yes, where were the parents? Put your kids in a harness and a leash. YES ... I said it. Then they don't get away from you and up on a railing and fall! Or run out into traffic. OR get snatched by some crazy.

Leashes are for animals. You hold their hand. Leashes? Never!

Leashes are for animals. You hold their hand. Leashes? Never!

This is almost reads like a PETA ad. Leashes are MURDER! :')

Agreed. My 20 year old disabled son survived without a leash. He deserved the same as everyone else.

I also can't get over folks saying that THOUSANDS of people are disembarking at once. I've been on 8 cruises and have never been in a mob with thousands of people pushing and clawing their way off the boat every man for themselves... My 8 experiences have been with zones and a roped off line with people moving in a nice orderly fashion. My children are able to pull their own luggage and walk along with me. Never have they been snatched, trampled, hurt, etc. I don't raise my kids to be morons.

I have stood in those lines...they suck and are literally 1000-2000 or more ppl long

No matter how much of a mob there is and how much pushing a shoving is going on, an 8 year old does not accidentally go over the railing and fall to her death. Something happened to cause this and it’s important to find out what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if perhaps the family was on the elevator with her and the doors opened on a floor that was not their stop and the girl got out by mistake, then made her way to the railing to try to follow her family and get their attention as they would be getting off (they would have been going down, so she knew to look down.) The elevators being glass, she may have been able to watch them go down.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app[/quot

Everyone likes to knock lawyers. Let's face it, its easy to do. That is until they need one. Any money I ever paid a lawyer was worth every dime.

I don't knock atty's. I have had to hire one. There are a few who in my opinion have done some harm to the clients. One in paticular. But I won't mention the name. But for the most part they are doing their job. And they have to operate within the law. I saw a atty and judge really go at it. The judge was in a lot of trouble.

Just left the ship, the child did indeed fall from deck 9 to deck 3. I didn’t see her fall but I saw her family on deck 9 just moments after she fell, I will never forget what I saw. Police all over the lobby and I suppose because of the investigation they hadn’t covered up the floor. I am fairly certain by what we saw she did not survive the fall, it wasn’t confirmed by anyone but I know what I saw. I have a child at home and I can’t wait to get home and hug her.

Very sad news.

No matter how much of a mob there is and how much pushing a shoving is going on, an 8 year old does not accidentally go over the railing and fall to her death. Something happened to cause this and it’s important to find out what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo!!! All we know for sure is a child died on a Carnival Cruise Ship. We don’t really even know the the exact manner of this poor girls death, including: who, what, when, where and how the death was caused . There is so much speculation here.

Bingo!!! All we know for sure is a child died on a Carnival Cruise Ship. We don’t really even know the the exact manner of this poor girls death, including: who, what, when, where and how the death was caused . There is so much speculation here.

We don't know, but the officials know what happened. There is video. They know exactly what happened to the child.

We don't know, but the officials know what happened. There is video. They know exactly what happened to the child.

I presume by officials you are referring to the police? Yes the child’s death his under investigation. So why not wait until we hear more details before jumping to wild conclusions and accusations.