Child falls 2 stories in ship at port

LMaxwell

I'm still having difficulty figuring out how passengers pushing and shoving to get out of an elevator could send an 8 yr. old up and over a railing. Something's missing here.

Roz

I'm still having difficulty figuring out how passengers pushing and shoving to get out of an elevator could send an 8 yr. old up and over a railing. Something's missing here.

Roz

If what they are supposing is true, the passengers pushed her over, she must have been somehow leaning over the railing at the time. I just cannot see any other way it could have happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It shouldn't bug you, nor should it bug anyone else on this thread. Like crooooze just said, seeking an attorney is the smart thing to do.

Think about it. How forthcoming do you think Carnival is going to be to the family with their internal reports, closed caption video, witness statements, etc? The family needs a lawyer to prepare subpoenas and help them fact-find. Add in the fact this family is foreign, and it makes obtaining information even more difficult.

I guarantee if you or anyone else on this thread had a family member die in an accident on a cruise ship, you too would be seeking counsel....not necessarily because you want to, but because you have to.

Perfectly stated. And I might also add that ALL cruiselines carry insurance to cover such horrible and unplanned things. Human error and just plain "unscripted" events happen. Whether we want them to or not!

I'm not so sure about that. It seems that the news is always quick to report on accidents and incidents that happen on ships. When was the last time you heard a news story about a hotel with a norovirus outbreak? I haven't ever seen one, but it can and does happens everywhere.

Yes, it does! Spring of last year, the weekend-long conference I was supposed to attend at a large hotel resort was canceled only hours before it was to start on Friday night.

I'm so sorry for this little girl's loved ones. If this was my family's tragedy, and there was nothing to be learned or gained from having it broadcasted to the world, I would want privacy.

If what they are supposing is true, the passengers pushed her over, she must have been somehow leaning over the railing at the time. I just cannot see any other way it could have happened.

There is a fairly high chrome shelf(?) around the bottom of the railing. It's easy to picture someone standing on it and leaning over the edge. Add a jostling crowd on disembarkation day and you have an accident.

There is a fairly high chrome shelf(?) around the bottom of the railing. It's easy to picture someone standing on it and leaning over the edge. Add a jostling crowd on disembarkation day and you have an accident.

Yes, that’s what I was thinking. Otherwise I cannot see her being pushed over by a crowd coming out of an elevator.

The elevator doors are around the corner from the railing where she would have fallen from. I don't see how people pushing and shoving to get into or out of the elevator would affect her from where should have been. I really think that is not likely what happened. But we were not there, so it's hard to say, I just can't see that scenario making any sense.

This is where she landed, I can’t believe after what I saw that the carpet didn’t have to be replaced. From everything that I heard today she hit her head on that table.

I just want to say that I'm sorry not only for the family of this girl but for you and those who witnessed any of the harrowing aftermath of her accident. It sticks with you. :(

I don't think the part about people shoving out of the elevator is accurate. From what I've heard, and someone else mentioned it in this thread, the girl was leaning over the railing trying to get the attention of a family member on a lower deck.

Remember a while back when these two boys video taped themselves jumping off the railing and into the pool on a Carnival ship?

That video is from a Princess ship.

My brother was born in 1946. Back after WWII, there was limited housing. My father traveled where the work was. Often times they lived in a trailer park while my mother took care of my brother and new born sister. They lived by railroad tracks. He was 2 years old, energetic and loved to run. My mother had to tether him with a leash to the clothesline while she hung up clothes. A couple of people came unglued that she did that. But heh, he didn't get hit by a train. The village had no clue.

Love it. I can only imagine how inventive moms had to be before child-safety was an entire industry.

I don't think the part about people shoving out of the elevator is accurate. From what I've heard, and someone else mentioned it in this thread, the girl was leaning over the railing trying to get the attention of a family member on a lower deck.

I had not read that on this thread or anywhere else yet, must have missed it. Makes sense for sure. Thanks for the info.

This poor family, I can't imagine the grief they are experiencing and cannot fault them for hiring an attorney for the reasons stated previously. They will want to know exactly why and how it happened. It's natural to want to point a finger of blame in some other direction, and while there may be contributing factors at play, I suspect it was just a truly tragic accident.

Kids on cruise ships get a bad rap for being unsupervised and out of control, and while I'm sure we've all seen examples of that, there are plenty of well-behaved kids having a great time, learning how to be independent and responsible.

I've used this story, and others about people going overboard, as teachable moments for my kids. I've repeated told them that they are not to lean over railings because if they go overboard they WILL die. They know if I ever catch them doing it on our balcony or that if they climb on balcony furniture, they won't be allowed on the balcony again.

We do our best as parents but cannot make their lives risk free. Even well-behaved kids can make stupid and impulsive decisions at times, so let's not blame the parents when we don't know them or the child. They will feel this pain for the rest of their lives.

Edited by Melcoug
typo

Hope she recovers.

It was already announced in the news article link that she died at the hospital. Not good news .... but yes, where were the parents? Put your kids in a harness and a leash. YES ... I said it. Then they don't get away from you and up on a railing and fall! Or run out into traffic. OR get snatched by some crazy.

That latest news report, posted by lady-cruiser, says at the end that homicide detectives are investigating, so let's not assume just yet that the poor child herself was to blame, or put it all on her parents. Another child/adult could have been involved.

Just seems a bit strange to me that it was an 8-year-old girl. If it was a boy, I could understand more, seeing as they tend to be the more adventurous.

Anyway, a horrible thing to happen, whatever the circumstances.

When I was that age, there wasn't a tree I couldn't climb to the top. AND I was the BEST fire hydrant vaulter in the neighborhood. I always had skinned/scabbed knees and elbows from 'playing outside'. Summer time? We left the house after inhaling a bowl of cereal. Rule was to come home for lunch. We'd run into the house .... YELL "we're home". Slap mustard or ketchup on bread OR grab a cold hot dog and YELL "we've eaten" and we were out the door in a minute or 2.

It was already announced in the news article link that she died at the hospital. Not good news .... but yes, where were the parents? Put your kids in a harness and a leash. YES ... I said it. Then they don't get away from you and up on a railing and fall! Or run out into traffic. OR get snatched by some crazy.

But isn't an 8-year-old too old for a harness or a leash? I can see a 2 or 3-year-old, but 8? Not really. My granddaughter is 8 years old, in 3rd grade, and I can't imagine putting a leash on her unless she had some sort of mental disability.

Is this from an article? I have not read this anywhere. I would like to read it please.

The article I posted around page 7 or 8 stated the girl was with her mom, baby brother and mom's boyfriend and his family.

They've added a small news video where they mention she was with a party of 8 and twice it is mentioned she fell 2 stories, not from the 9th deck as some here on cc seem to think.

Edited by Lerin

It brings me to a story from about 15 years ago. Members of our family were hiking in the Adirondack mountains of Lake Placid, NY. I was with some of the younger kids in the group, including my 10 year old nephew. And I was busy watching my own footsteps as we were descending when we were being passed by two men who were heading upwards. One of them reprimanded my nephew in front of me to take his hands out of his pockets! Honestly, I didn't notice he had done that. As they came a bit closer to me, one politely apologized and said "If he were to fall he will not have time to free his hands before he hits the ground. Too many variables NOT to say something."

This day always plays in my mind because I reflected a lot of what "could have" that afternoon, and the following day it was all over the news that Christopher Reeve passed away from complications from being a quadriplegic. An injury he suffered from human mistake. I was a grateful aunt that a concerned stranger acted as part of my village.Young parents should try to see this in their older generation. Execution of wisdom, done correctly shouldn't offend!

My deepest condolences go to this family. It's so very sad.

First .... be careful of the giant crocodiles in Lake Placid! :) Just a little levity here.

Second ... I feel strongly that Christopher Reeve was injured while taking a calculated risk. It wasn't human error. When you play with horses, it's always a risk .... MOST of the time horses do as they are directed .... but NOT always. I think many of us have seen a horse & rider approach a jump and the horse just says " na ah ... not happening .. just don't feel it". And the horse stops short and rider falls or flies over the horses head.

Reeve, who is 42 and has enjoyed a prolific screen and stage career, was thrown from his horse and landed on his head during the second of three trial events in an equestrian competition. He was wearing a helmet and a protective vest at the time.

Why on earth would you say they are trying to "make off of it?". Seeking an attorney is something anybody would do in this same situation.

Clearly this horrible tragedy is not your typical "I tripped on the step and twisted my ankle" situation. It certainly should not bug you.

Don't attempt to speak for everyone because not everyone runs to an attorney first, or ever.

Perfectly stated. And I might also add that ALL cruiselines carry insurance to cover such horrible and unplanned things. Human error and just plain "unscripted" events happen. Whether we want them to or not!

Oh my! We don't know what happened yet, and people are wanting to sue for the insurance money. NO wonder our fare is so expensive. How high must their insurance liability be?

This is a terrible tragedy. Like most I am only curious as to what happened to see if it is something that I can learn from myself, do avoid that happening to myself or my family.

The accounts (theories) that I have heard about the child possibly leaning over to talk to someone and fell sound very plausible. Perhaps risky and bad judgment, but children do that. If an 8 year old was capable of making all great decisions all the time, they could be out on their own. Unfortunately even as a young adult I have made some decisions that as a older wiser adult, I cringe at.

As far as those blaming the parents, the child was 8, not 1. They may have looked away for a minute or somehow accidentally got separated.

It sounds as if it was a tragic accident. Unfortunate accident.

Don't attempt to speak for everyone because not everyone runs to an attorney first, or ever.

One might run to an attorney for discovery, not necessarily for a cash settlement.

This family suffered a horrible loss. They deserve to know what happened. In a perfect world there would be no accidents but we don't live in a perfect world.

This well could have been an accident. Wouldn't you want to know?

Surveillance tapes and eye witness testimony could answer the basic question. How would you get access to either without the help of the legal process?

But isn't an 8-year-old too old for a harness or a leash? I can see a 2 or 3-year-old, but 8? Not really. My granddaughter is 8 years old, in 3rd grade, and I can't imagine putting a leash on her unless she had some sort of mental disability.

Well ... THIS 8 yr. old girl would be alive if her parents had her on a leash/harness apparatus. She wouldn't have gone down several floors away from her mom. Are you concerned about what others think? It's the SAFETY of your child in a VERY unusual situation ... disembarkation from a cruise ship with thousands of people!

One might run to an attorney for discovery, not necessarily for a cash settlement.

This family suffered a horrible loss. They deserve to know what happened. In a perfect world there would be no accidents but we don't live in a perfect world.

This well could have been an accident. Wouldn't you want to know?

Surveillance tapes and eye witness testimony could answer the basic question. How would you get access to either without the help of the legal process?

The parents probably know what happened. If not, the films and testimony will be there after the funeral.

I couldn't even imagine putting a harness on an 8 year old. Unless the 8 year old had some type of intellectual disability or a severe behavior problem that caused him/her to have decreased awareness of danger. At what age do you stop?? Put a harness on a 10 year old, a 12 year old? When they get married lol?? There is no magic age of safety. Ludicrous. It's a parents job to teach their kids about danger and to also supervise their kids because kids will be kids. But accidents are going to happen sadly. A perfectly wonderful parent might get distracted and the unthinkable occurs.That doesn't mean we should infantilize kids and treat them like toddlers until middle school. By the age of 10 I let myself into an empty house after school took care of the dog, and started making dinner.