What if we all stopped going to "Specialty" Dinning?

Manbo

BEFORE "specialty" dining came to be, the food in the MDR was wonderful....beautifully presented, tasty and varied. Once they saw that folks could be enticed to spend more for the same food in a different venue, they moved the best dishes out of the MDR into the "specialty" venues.....and the decline in the included options continues.

We wouldn't sail NCL without specialty dining since we didn't like the MDR food. But lots of other people are happy with the MDR food, and would rather have a lower fare than better quality food, and I wouldn't want to take that option away from them. I think costs increase due to inflation, and the cruise lines don't want to raise the base fare so they look for other ways to increase revenue.

We have cruised a decent amount over the years and have tried specialty dinning on many NCL ships. Overall, I must admit to being underwhelmed. There have been a few really nice experiences, but not really worth the extra price.

To make it worse, it seems like NCL is pushing more and more in that direction. For example the Margaritaville experience on the Getaway and Breakaway.

So, I suggest we stop getting caught up in the hype of Specialty dining and demand that the cruise lines provide their best dining options at all dining rooms to all guests. No more paying extra for dining!

Crazy idea???

I refuse to pay extra to dine on a ship .On my last NCI cruise I had free specialty dining and did not find the food to be any different than the MDR .In addition ,the wait staff in the MDR was much nicer.

I would keep the speciality dining as sometimes you want to go somewhere else to eat. We have sailed since pre-specialty dining options and we enjoy the choice. Now with the promos and Platinum we never have to pay for a venue change of scenery or dining options. I agree with those who wrote if you don't want to eat there, then don't pay to eat there. I agree with those in the having them or not having them will not lower the cruise price. I just go to enjoy cruising around and maybe sometimes going to a new place. There is always food and always something to drink and I don't have to prepare either. Win-win for me!:D

We have cruised a decent amount over the years and have tried specialty dinning on many NCL ships. Overall, I must admit to being underwhelmed. There have been a few really nice experiences, but not really worth the extra price.

To make it worse, it seems like NCL is pushing more and more in that direction. For example the Margaritaville experience on the Getaway and Breakaway.

So, I suggest we stop getting caught up in the hype of Specialty dining and demand that the cruise lines provide their best dining options at all dining rooms to all guests. No more paying extra for dining!

Crazy idea???

Probably not the responses you were anticipating, but yes, I think it's a crazy idea. Or at least, one I don't support.

I have an idea. You don't think they are worth the added cost. Stop going.

I happen to disagree. I see the extra cost is attributable to 3 areas: food, ambience and service. Therefore, I find value in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

^ this is why.

Stephen

Crazy idea???

for me, yes, that is a crazy idea. First of all, every line has specialty dining now, started by NCL i will add about 20 years ago and second, not everyone feels like you do about the upscale dining. Many of us look forward, to what we consider a little better quality, nice atmosphere and usually outstanding service. don't forget a lot of people buy the SDP or get it as a perk. If you do not want specialty dining you do not have to take part, but I love the choice.

imADaneFan

We have never eaten at Maderos when it hasn't been are leat relatively crowded. I hope what you heard isn't fact, but if it is: NCL must know what they are doing.

Pappion: As for Brazilian State houses on land, I agree they are better but the price is over the top for many. We have rarely found the meat at Modernos dry or touch and the salad bar, though not as good as it used to be is still worth the money. Yes I have eaten at Brazilian steak houses in Dallas,Vegas, Los Angeles and on Aruba. In fact Aruba was the first we had, maybe 20 years ago.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Interesting comments all....but did you ever cruise BEFORE Specialty Dining existed???

It was great!

As I contend, it is all hype, not better quality!

Just my opinion.

Well I slightly disagree with you. First of all, your first post said, Let's demand? What would you suggest we do, all protest after we get on the ship, peacefully or otherwise? Secondly yes, I have for one, and others here are the same have been cruising for 30 or more years. There was a time cruising was for the upper middle class and above only or a vacation you saved years for. Of course the dining experience was better, but it has changed now. If you want the old experience you go specialty dining. Maybe you would like to return to the days when kids rarely cruised? Should they close the kids clubs on all ships or offer cruises for adults only? Cruising has changed over the past 20 years. Maybe, for those who want to go the "old way" they should stick to upscale lines and pay twice as much for the adventure as they are paying now.

I enjoy dining in the speciality restaurants. Always have. I have eaten in those restaurants from when I first sailed and paid my money everytime. I find the SDP to be good value for money, I just paid for a 4 night package on a forthcoming cruise.

Nobody is forced to dine in a specialty restaurant it is a choice. I like having choices. I like NCL because NCL gives me choices. I don't like it when someone wants to have my choices taken away because their choice is different to mine. Make your own choices and spend your own money and leave me to do the same.

What's worse is the Free at Sea program being forced upon people who want to choose their own cabin. It's not Free if they're charging more.

Not true, when I made my recent reservation the first option was the room without any extras, although it was the same price for the cabin as if you took advantage of the Free at Sea offers.

I have done specialty dining a few times; once with a 3 or 4 night package, and other times taking advantage of half-price promotions on the first night of the cruise. The food is certainly very good, but the portions are so large...often I am full before the entree comes. Last time I wasted half of my steak, and got my dessert packaged to take back to my cabin. I felt bad about the wasted steak and vegetables, but after a very filling French onion soup (my favorite) I could not eat much more. So I probably would not pay full price for specialty dining, but will occasionally take advantage of a sale. Maybe skip the appetizer next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I refuse to pay extra to dine on a ship .On my last NCI cruise I had free specialty dining and did not find the food to be any different than the MDR .In addition ,the wait staff in the MDR was much nicer.

WOW

That is completely different than my experience on 3 cruises in last 3 years.

The food on 3 different NCL ships in the MDR was borderline inedible.

While on all 3 Le Bistro was as good as a restaurant on land and La Cucina, Cagneys and the Asian options were still well above the included food.

I would not sail NCL again if specialty restaurants were discontinued or if I could not get some type of included dining package.

Crazy idea???

Specialty dining has been around for decades on all cruise lines. If you don’t want to go, don’t. Simple.

Crazy idea???

I suggest you stop going to the speciality dining’s yourself, pick another cruise line, and stop trying to entice others, to stop because of YOUR PERSONAL dissatisfaction.

To make it worse, you sound ungrateful you are able to afford the luxury of cruising. Your points are invalid. There’s a simple fix to your unhappiness, but Cruise Critic forums are not for petitions nor should they be a platform for your pettiness.

This message is rhetorical.... No response needed.

Crazy idea???

YA RIGHT !

Give up what free Latitude perk's we have left.

F.D.R. would love that.

Do YOU work for him? :evilsmile:

First off anytime you are a thread starter for ANYTHING, all the professional debaters come out of the woodwork. So you must understand that you will be wrong and they will be right.

(One of the main reasons I was gone for a number of years from this site) Now that I am back, well, how could have I forgotten LOL

Anyway, I know what you mean about back in the day...... It used to be that you didn't really need specialty dining. The MDR was very good food and a wonderful experience. We used to dress up all fancy and feel very classy. Then came the luggage limits and baggage fees on the airlines, two and a half decades went by and now we are older and can't cart too many bags. I cannot comfortably wear high heels and long dresses anymore. (nor do I want to )

I apppreciate a more casual atmosphere in the dining room. We do the specialty dining restaurants to celebrate special occasions with our friends. (birthday anniversary etc). They are nice, but not spectacular. We have really great food here in Chicago as do alot of big cities, so the food is never going to be what I get at home. That's OK. I do wish they wouldn't focus so much on the specialty dining though. Maybe it should not be a package as is the drink package (also a "newer" thing on cruise ships.) We see alot more drunk people than we used to when everything was ala carte. Eventually, cruising will be something other than what we remember and we will pass it on down to the younger generations.

So it looks like the specialty dining is here to stay. I have a feeling that in the future all dining will be specialty and they will do away with the MDR experience.

WOW

That is completely different than my experience on 3 cruises in last 3 years.

The food on 3 different NCL ships in the MDR was borderline inedible.

While on all 3 Le Bistro was as good as a restaurant on land and La Cucina, Cagneys and the Asian options were still well above the included food.

I would not sail NCL again if specialty restaurants were discontinued or if I could not get some type of included dining package.

I would have to say, I only partially agree with you. I can't imagine anyone saying like the person you responded to, that the wait staff in the MDR was nicer or better than in any specialty dining room unless someone was having a bad night. That being said, yes food is subjective but I hardly think many would agree with you that the MDR is barely edibe. We have found it to be like many mid priced chains on land. This is based on cruising NCL about 20 times and on all class of ships over 20 years.

One of the things we LOVED about the Jewel was the variety of specialty restaurants. It's the perfect system: The pretty-good MDR and decent buffet are available for free along with the excellent Ginza/Chin-Chin and O'Sheehan's, and the premium options are available for those who want to pay more. Everybody wins.

BEFORE "specialty" dining came to be, the food in the MDR was wonderful....beautifully presented, tasty and varied. Once they saw that folks could be enticed to spend more for the same food in a different venue, they moved the best dishes out of the MDR into the "specialty" venues.....and the decline in the included options continues.

So what? I know what I paid for my first cruise in 1986 and prices are not much more. At the same time food costs in our daily lives? Skyrocketed.

Reality is that most folks on a ship go for quantity over quality. The "Golden Corral" mentality.

The MDRs and buffets ate still packed. There are plenty of people who post on here who think they are fine. Those same people would rather keep fares as they are than pay $50-$100 a day more for higher quality food. Those who desire an elevated dining experience choose to pay the additional fee, or choose that perk.

How many of you who have cruised during "the good old day" stopped with only one lobster?

Do you want "guarantee" prices for "choose your own" staterooms? Good luck.

I have no problem with paying more for "choose your own" staterooms but without the "free at sea" upcharge. It doesn't have to be one or the other, not with today's technology.

Edited by Cruise4Twos
typo