Which Cruise Would You Book For a 2019 Venice Embarkation

ChucktownSteve

I have the following choice. I really want to book Azamara. Oceania is pretty attractive. So I have a dilemma.

Both are R class ships. Both are the identical cabin 6093 aft. Azamara considers that a VX while Oceania classifies that a Concierge A2. As a Concierge cabin we would each receive four free specialty restaurant nights included, three free bags of laundry and unlimited internet. The price also includes free round-trip airfare from Savannah

As an Azamara LCV Discoverer I would receive 90 free internet minutes and so would my DW. We receive one free bag of laundry per cabin. Airfare I estimate will be about an additional $1,200 pp.

Both will include the basic liquor package.

Azamara: 9 night from Venice to Athens $10,084.60 PLUS air fare

enhance

Oceania: 10 night from Venice to Rome $8998.00 airfare included

enhance

If you don't mind my asking, which would you book? Can you justify Azamara on this?

How do the itineraries compare? Straight economic rationale would make it seem on paper it is not Azamara but are there other factors that really matter to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thankx for your replies so far. Here are the Itineraries:

enhance

enhance

I perfer Azamara's overnight in Venice because it would save us a hotel and it's more Greece intensive. I suppose that could give us an excuse to book another Greece cruise if we went with O. Also in the plus column are Azamazing evening, White Night and the friendliness of crew and pax.

Timing is a somewhat better on the Oceania cruise for my wife's job. They're also more Italy intensive.

On both itineraries, the only port we've visited previously is Liverno however we did the full day wine country tour. We'd like to visit Pisa & Florence without the other Med ports in Spain and France.

Both itineraries suit our overall list. I wish Azamara was more competitive in pricing and perks so that the decision would be easier to make in their favor.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

On itinerary it would be Azamara - it has the more beautiful ports for me (although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, subjective etc). Kotor as you have never been is an absolutely outstanding gem.

Albania on Oceania, well it would be an experience but it doesn’t feature on the majority of bucket lists.

But as you say, you’ve a lot of factors to consider, but you do highlight the challenges of the different price points very well

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What about gratuities? We looked at Oceania previously and were quoted $16/person/day. Also, isn't the basic beverage package on Oceania only wine and beer at lunch and dinner. Any drinks ordered are expensive and heavily taxed.

There seemed to be all sorts of hidden/unincluded costs with Oceania that, once I delved into the exact cost, really added up, even with free air, etc.

With regards to itinerary, we've just done a similar Azamara itinerary and played tag with an Oceania ship during most of the cruise. Koper and Kotor ports were favourites. I notice there's a Corfu stop on Oceania. We stopped in Corfu and it was our least favourite. On Oceania you dock in Naples. We took the hydrofoil from Sorrento to Naples for the day - absolutely amazing city!

What about gratuities? We looked at Oceania previously and were quoted $16/person/day. Also, isn't the basic beverage package on Oceania only wine and beer at lunch and dinner. Any drinks ordered are expensive and heavily taxed.

There seemed to be all sorts of hidden/unincluded costs with Oceania that, once I delved into the exact cost, really added up, even with free air, etc.

With regards to itinerary, we've just done a similar Azamara itinerary and played tag with an Oceania ship during most of the cruise. Koper and Kotor ports were favourites. I notice there's a Corfu stop on Oceania. We stopped in Corfu and it was our least favourite. On Oceania you dock in Naples. We took the hydrofoil from Sorrento to Naples for the day - absolutely amazing city!

Thankx. Some good points. My TA usually throws in Gratuities on my O cruises plus between $650 and $900 OBC; depending upon number of nights/cost so that won't be a factor. I have to upgrade the liquor package on both but I use the OBC. Thus I didn't consider them a factor in my considerations.

Well..... then I would go with Oceania and spend a few days in advance in Venice using some of the substantial savings. And you could stay overnight in Florence and really enjoy the city, making a quick stop in Pisa on the way back. Easy-peasy on the train.

Well..... then I would go with Oceania and spend a few days in advance in Venice using some of the substantial savings. And you could stay overnight in Florence and really enjoy the city, making a quick stop in Pisa on the way back. Easy-peasy on the train.

That's exactly what I would do too. I do think the Azamara itinerary is better but there would be new ports for me on both itineraries. Whilst I am a fan of Azamara, all the recommendations from loyal Az cruisers to try Oceania, and at that price comparison, would lead me to try Oceania

I think you have to consider weather too. November could be pretty damp and flooded in Venice. October would be far better although I've seen water in St. Marks in October.

I would avoid Venice in November.

We were almost fogged in at the dock on Quest some years ago, just got out before they closed the Port.

The next day was also very foggy at Ravenna.

Some of the other ports were also very wet, not the best time to be in that part of the world.

Edited by Bloodaxe

Thankx. Some good points. My TA usually throws in Gratuities on my O cruises plus between $650 and $900 OBC; depending upon number of nights/cost so that won't be a factor. I have to upgrade the liquor package on both but I use the OBC. Thus I didn't consider them a factor in my considerations.
That is some generous TA you have. Care to share?

Hi Steve - both itineraries are very good and I'd be happy with either. I thought there was some good advice to looked at gratuities and any other extras, for a true $ per day comparison. I'd also research likely weather for both itineraries. Given Azamara's pricing I'd wait, if you prefer them, as they'll undoubtedly be cheaper sometime - 2019 is a long time away and at least some regulars have already been booking other cruise lines. If such numbers progressively increas, demand will decrease. I'd expect that as these cruises will be off-season and just prior to re-location, there will be better pricing deals.

Either way, happy cruising

Tony

I would avoid Venice in November.

We were almost fogged in at the dock on Quest some years ago, just got out before they closed the Port.

The next day was also very foggy at Ravenna.

Some of the other ports were also very wet, not the best time to be in that part of the world.

I think I was on that cruise. It was really cold and foggy in Ravenna, but I did the trip out to the Ferrari museum and it was sunny. I actually liked the different weather. There was little Aqua Alta in Venice which helped.

I'd go for the Azamara cruise for the itinerary and more attractive late nights. Venice takes on a different charm after dark.

Phil

I think I was on that cruise. It was really cold and foggy in Ravenna, but I did the trip out to the Ferrari museum and it was sunny. I actually liked the different weather. There was little Aqua Alta in Venice which helped.

I'd go for the Azamara cruise for the itinerary and more attractive late nights. Venice takes on a different charm after dark.

Phil

It does sound like the same cruise Phil.

I remember that the Quests captain was off sick and Johannes was on board.

He said that he was on holiday from Journey.

Edited by Bloodaxe

Was this November 2011? We did a similar itinerary then with friends, cracking deal if I remember rightly something like £1100pp for a balcony cabin with flights, pre cruise hotel and transfers included.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yep. That's the one. The ships horn was going on for ages and then again toward a cold Ravenna. That was my second Azamara cruise. I really enjoyed it. Pre-Concordia I managed to do that foggy sail out from the bridge when the pilot said we had to leave NOW!

Phil

Was this November 2011? We did a similar itinerary then with friends, cracking deal if I remember rightly something like £1100pp for a balcony cabin with flights, pre cruise hotel and transfers included.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote.

We got a very similar late deal, it was the last cruise before the ship went to the Far East for the Winter

It was not booking well and heavily discounted.

Those were the days.

Nobody expects them to return, how things have changed and not for the better.

Edited by Bloodaxe