The Port of Antigua

tigercat

Has anyone been there and remember how far is the port from the ship? Asking for someone who can not walk very long. The walk from the ship to the port of Grand Turk is way too far if that is a measurement to guide you by.

tigercat

Has anyone been there and remember how far is the port from the ship? Asking for someone who can not walk very long. The walk from the ship to the port of Grand Turk is way too far if that is a measurement to guide you by.

tigercat

I have no mobbility issues but based on yurr guiddance, I'll try ... . From bottom of gangway in Antigua to Longhamps (one of the first shops, is a bout 10 minute walk at a leisurely pace. (shorter dist ance than Grand Turk) therea re some 'trinket tables' for souvieres and the like an t a ttwo level shopping area which is about maybe 30 yards to the left. There are also more shops if one goes up to the corner (after Long hamps) and turns right. I remember a rather 'basic' shoe store. :)

Edited by sail7seas

The Antigua thread isn't looked at so thought of posting here. Also, did look up Antigua on the internet but was hoping to get personal thoughts. The person is going on a Carnival tour and was wanting to know if it is going to be walkable with a walker.

tigercat

Only the area near the port facilities is walkable with a walker. I remember the sidewalks in town to be very uneven, narrow at spots and with high curbs. We are talking about the Caribbean island?

What other Port called Antigua is there other than the island in the Caribbean?? The only other one with the same name I am aware of - Antigua Guatemala - is an inland town in the mountains of Guatemala. The OP is asking about the Port of Antigua per the thread tag line.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

What other Port called Antigua is there other than the island in the Caribbean?? The only other one with the same name I am aware of - Antigua Guatemala - is an inland town in the mountains of Guatemala. The OP is asking about the Port of Antigua per the thread tag line.

Well, the port (the place where ships dock or tender) in Antigua (an island in the Caribbean) is called St. Johns. Much like the island by the same name in the U.S. (nee Danish) Virgin Islands.

So the OP probably is in fact asking about St. Johns (the port, not the island) and not Antigua (the island, not the city). But I understand why someone would ask for clarification...

Well, the port (the place where ships dock or tender) in Antigua (an island in the Caribbean) is called St. Johns. Much like the island by the same name in the U.S. (nee Danish) Virgin Islands.

So the OP probably is in fact asking about St. Johns (the port, not the island) and not Antigua (the island, not the city). But I understand why someone would ask for clarification...

I understand that St. Johns is the port city in Antigua, but interpreted the tag line of the "Port of Antigua" as meaning the "Port (of call) of Antigua" - and clearly with no confusion to St. Johns, the island, as St. Johns was not mentioned anywhere. It at least seemed clear to me. :)

And as far as I am aware and from our experience, St. Johns in Antigua is not a tender port, but a docking port either at Heritage Pier or Nevis Street pier, both at the port side entrance and walking distance down the pier to St. Johns, Antigua. Perhaps others could confirm of cruise lines / ships that tender there?

The city of Antigua in Guatemala does indeed have a port - sort of. Cruise ships stop at a freight port in the middle of nowhere and passengers are taken to Antigua by bus. The city is not easily navigable with a walker unless it has the larger wheels.

The city of Antigua in Guatemala does indeed have a port - sort of. Cruise ships stop at a freight port in the middle of nowhere and passengers are taken to Antigua by bus. The city is not easily navigable with a walker unless it has the larger wheels.

Quick show of hands - how many on this thread were confused by the tag line "Port of Antigua" thinking it actually meant the inland town of Antigua Guatemala or the island of St. Johns and not the Caribbean island of Antigua??? :D;)

tigercat

As I recall the distance from the ship to the end of the pier where the tours pick up is not as far as the dock in Grand Turk

It is a bit of a walk for someone with limited mobility

If they have a wheelchair or scooter it will help

JMO

Cruise%202008%20137-M.jpg

Edited by LHT28

As I recall the distance from the ship to the end of the pier where the tours pick up is not as far as the dock in Grand Turk

It is a bit of a walk for someone with limited mobility

If they have a wheelchair or scooter it will help

JMO

Cruise%202008%20137-M.jpg[/q

Quote]

Good info that should address the OP's original question. :) The town basically begins at the end of the pier, but it is a bit of a walk.

The Antigua thread isn't looked at so thought of posting here. Also, did look up Antigua on the internet but was hoping to get personal thoughts. The person is going on a Carnival tour and was wanting to know if it is going to be walkable with a walker.

tigercat

Sorry, tried my best to help.