Royal Carribbean not single cruiser friendly!!,!

fishn4sun

Was looking to book cruise for myself at a interior rate of $499. When I selected single passenger the rate went to $1691!!!!! And that is just the room. No taxes and fees! Come on RCCL. I expected to pay double but over three times the cost??.? That is just not right. You can put kids in the room for free. One of the consultants actually told me to make up a person as a second quest and when they don't show up no problem. Trying to send me to jail for making up a phoney passport number?

Well needless to say I booked a cruise on Carnival. This is number 20 for me and I will not go,back to RCCL.

Was looking to book cruise for myself at a interior rate of $499. When I selected single passenger the rate went to $1691!!!!! And that is just the room. No taxes and fees! Come on RCCL. I expected to pay double but over three times the cost??.? That is just not right. You can put kids in the room for free. One of the consultants actually told me to make up a person as a second quest and when they don't show up no problem. Trying to send me to jail for making up a phoney passport number?

Well needless to say I booked a cruise on Carnival. This is number 20 for me and I will not go,back to RCCL.

The lower price is probably for a guarantee category. Often singles cannot book a guarantee. Therefore the website defaulted to a category for which you were eligible.

I travel solo and never had a problem. RCI always seems to have problems with their booking engine. I always double check another travel site and see what price I get. If it looks to be caddywampus, I just have my TA call RCI and double check.

I don't book guarantees, but I do know that specific solo cabin pricing has come up to be quite a bit more than just a regular interior.

Instead of Carnival why not book NCL? They have entire area devoted to solo travelers including their own lounge, at least on Epic. Have friend celebrating birthday 90 with her 3 children and their spouses and they booked her in a solo cabin on Epic. Worth checking.

Thanks for all the responses. I even called in to Royal and got the same response. Book a no show. What about a passport number? Did NCL Epic studio room. It was fun. I booked on NCL Spirit that had no single rooms and they only charged me a small supplement. NCL not in Port Canaveral right now. Really hate to have to drive all the way to Miami when I am very close to Canaveral. But it may be what I have to do in the future.

Near and dear to my heart this topic. Yes NCL does it the best. They have 5-6 ships now I think where their rooms are in special hallways that are quiet and with a studio lounge. They have updated older ships too like Pride of America. I have 2 weeks back to back in one of their studios (4). It is located up high in the suite section.

Now HAL has added some studios but they are lower level under stage area up front. And Harmony put some on lower level under public rooms back by dining room.

Looking back at old RCI :cool:threads around April you will see that folks were complaining that studios where way overpriced in initial release for Europe on Symphony. I suspect they were having doubts then.

However, the best time to get good single prices is in November in Caribbean. Good luck:cool:

Thanks for all the responses. I even called in to Royal and got the same response. Book a no show. What about a passport number? Did NCL Epic studio room. It was fun. I booked on NCL Spirit that had no single rooms and they only charged me a small supplement. NCL not in Port Canaveral right now. Really hate to have to drive all the way to Miami when I am very close to Canaveral. But it may be what I have to do in the future.

You don't need a passport number, you can say the other person is using their birth certificate. Or don't even complete online check-in for the other person.

I’m not sure which sailing it is but you don’t need a passport number for closed-loop sailings, bec you can sail without a passport on those. But I do agree that it’s not right to charge you more than double the fare.

Another reason to book a second person is so that you can actually bring someone if your plans change and you want to actually travel with someone else. You can’t always do that when you booked as a single, even though you paid for ‘two’.

I’m not sure which sailing it is but you don’t need a passport number for closed-loop sailings, bec you can sail without a passport on those. But I do agree that it’s not right to charge you more than double the fare.

Another reason to book a second person is so that you can actually bring someone if your plans change and you want to actually travel with someone else. You can’t always do that when you booked as a single, even though you paid for ‘two’.

Good info, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had the same issue last year and didn't want to do the 'no show' at port route because then you are not eligible for double points for the room. I waited until the room was assigned and called and cancelled second passenger.

I've been getting great solo rates on regular balcony cabins, not the studios, on Anthem. All my booked cruises and past sailings (12) on her have always been between 150-175% supplement. My last booking I made for March was only 117%.

I had the same issue last year and didn't want to do the 'no show' at port route because then you are not eligible for double points for the room. I waited until the room was assigned and called and cancelled second passenger.

I just had this same problem last month and booked a second passenger that I knew was going to be a no show. I got their port fees and taxes back AND did get double points for the cruise

I have read reports on here from people that did what you did and ended up getting charged more for their room when they called to cancel the second person. They got their booking re-priced

I've never had to pay more than double as a solo traveler. When I see the price for a single is higher, I assume something went wrong and call. I'm also wondering if you were looking at a guarantee. That's the only reason I can think of that the single price would be higher.

I just had this same problem last month and booked a second passenger that I knew was going to be a no show. I got their port fees and taxes back AND did get double points for the cruise

I have read reports on here from people that did what you did and ended up getting charged more for their room when they called to cancel the second person. They got their booking re-priced

I have heard of that happening too. However, if it is a closed loop cruise out of a United States port, there is no need to call and cancel the second person. You can complete payment without entering a passport number for that person. Then, you just show up alone and, if there are any questions, just tell them that your roommate stood you up at the last minute.

When I called to cancel the 2nd pax they wanted to reprice my room to the current solo rate and the cost ended up at 250% of that I was paying, so I left him as a no show, and I got the double points automatically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a similar issue. For my cruise the price for single occupancy was 2.3 times the double occupancy rate. This price also excluded the drinks package and onboard credit in the double rate. My travel agent explained that the double occupancy rate was a promotional rate for which there was no equivalent single rate. For a single I was being quoted the full prices with no promotional discount, drinks package or onboard credit.

To cut a long story short, a single rate for the promotion was created and I am booked on the Symphony of the Seas. In the end I will pay 1.7 times the double occupancy rate for a single occupancy. This compares well with my single cruises on other lines such as Cunard. It really was my travel agent who sorted it all out for me and saved me about £1000.

Best wishes, Stephen.

PS I am in the United Kingdom.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruising solo quite frequently and cruising on RCI for several decades now, I´ve never felt them to be not friendly to solo cruisers.

I don´t miss solo cabins at all. I wouldn´t book them anyway, as I don´t want to be put into a closet. I need some decent sized room and will rather book a suite as a solo than ever looking into one of those solo cabins, however I don´t mind them being offered for those wanting them.

You don't need a passport number, you can say the other person is using their birth certificate. Or don't even complete online check-in for the other person.

Exactly. I understand the points made by OP except no need to add the passport as any issue at all.

I'd love to have your driving issues instead it's a 28 hour flight from Australia to Miami for me and yet I do it!

Aussie Cruiser

Why can't solo cruisers book guarantee cabins categories?

You can, perhaps it depends on the cruise. I went on anthem early 2016 and got a guarantee baloney and only paid $1500 for a 12 day Caribbean cruise out of New York.... crazy cheap for solo!

Aussie Cruiser