Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

J...I can see the pic now. And sorry to hear about your fellow passengers! Hope your knees hold up as well as your equilibrium with regards to the fellow cruisers!

Spins...I am one of those people (of the female variety though). I wear hearing aids now which help in most situations. However when there is a lot of background noise that gets amplified as well. I just keep hoping that I don't mishear someone so drastically that Myster will have to bail me out!

Pictures appeared! Jeff, glad the good is outweighing the bad. Those big groups can be a bit of a nuisance.

My hearing is suboptimal due to too many hours driving old tractors as a kid. We didn't know what ear protection was back then.

Hi from the skies. 2h until Calgary. Love the free Wi-Fi with my T-Mobile plan.

Mimosas before takeoff. Lunch soon. Happy Friday all!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

WHAT? DID SOMBODY SAY SOMETHING?

I know my hearing is going, in one ear certainly. I had a misspent youth in loud discos. It wasn’t a good night unless you came out and your ears were ringing or even best yet, you couldn’t hear at all. Paying up for it now.

I admire your sang froid Jeff. I think I would be a mite more exercised if a loud intrusive group were on board. Still it’s a good reason to seek solace in various amber gold pale straw or red nectars

Rp

J...I can see the pic now. And sorry to hear about your fellow passengers! Hope your knees hold up as well as your equilibrium with regards to the fellow cruisers!

Spins...I am one of those people (of the female variety though). I wear hearing aids now which help in most situations. However when there is a lot of background noise that gets amplified as well. I just keep hoping that I don't mishear someone so drastically that Myster will have to bail me out!

Mysty

It's not so much the hearing, which was damaged by sitting so close to amplified speakers at concerts in my youth, but actually synthesizing what is said.

That's what I find going somewhere.

Brain lapse, synapses misfiring!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Oh Spins....I'm with you on that one! Myster and I sometimes have discussions (OK arguments) when neither of us is picking up what the other is putting down. It's comical in hindsight but frustrating as it is happening. We eventually get on the same wavelength. So far we can still communicate. :)

Greetings Coolers!

Hope J and Mrs J are enjoying today's port, that JP and Chris are enjoying Banff and that Cam and DH are enjoying Texas.

Today's funny.....

34712619_1728259090554448_885423876190765056_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=8444ffebc1d12b7f7622f222f161ad08&oe=5BAB1009

Have a great day all!

Hi coolers:)

Getting a hair cut today. Then I need to take a big bag of clothing to Goodwill. I cleaned out a bunch of stuff that I have not worn in a long, long, long time. I know there are people less fortunate so hoping this stuff helps.

Need to go to the bank and get some Euros too. I leave in less than 30 days now:D

Good Evening All. ... as we leave Trapani!

Just a short walk today as this is a bit of faded dump so we stayed on board for most of the day.

The large group continues to compromise the feel of the ship. For them it is just one long noisy free all-inclusive party and they wander around the ship most with glasses in their hands and in their swimwear boasting that they will do what they want ‘as they have earned it’.

Dave asked whether SS really care and I think offering cheap deals that effectively becomes almost a charter is to put it nicely extremely inconsiderate to their normal customers. And the language. I guess I’m not suprised sometimes to hear foul language from males but some of the language from the women is pretty colourful. It’s clear the staff hate it as much as the other ‘normal’ passengers.

Anyway. That is life. Onwards and upwards.

Aw geez....I'm so sorry to hear the Mongolian hordes are besmirching your cruise. We once encountered a "group" on a Crystal cruise. These were investment folk who more less used the ship as their own private charter. It wasn't pleasant by any means so I know what you're going thru. Feeling for you....

When we boarded the Muse in April, the ship had three back to back charters before us. The crew were exhausted and couldn't wait for the charters to be over.

I heard some pretty wild tales of rowdiness and apparently the charter pax were behaving just as you mention, Jeff.

One of the crew members told me that the charter pax were pocketing the salt and pepper mills and anything else they felt they could pack away or put in a handbag.

Hello to all here at the Cooler.

Thank you for all the lovely thoughts and well wishes I received after the passing of my Mom.

It’s been a very busy time and I can’t believe it is a month since I last posted.

Sophia, welcome home. Great to hear you had a lovely cruise on Spirit.

JP and Chris, have an amazing trip to Banff.

Lois, not long to go now! I’m sure you are on final countdown.

Jeff, I’m sorry you have a charter onboard with you. I know from experience from our Spirit Caribbean cruise, that it can really intrude on your enjoyment as they take over and can as you have discovered, be loud and crass.

I’m really hoping you and Mrs Jeff are enjoying some long lunches.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the trip and have had some opportunities to savour your cigars.

Spins, happy to hear you felt at home in Ireland. I can’t imagine living anywhere else. Not sure if you have seen the Killarney lakes or visited Kenmare ? Both are in Kerry and well worth a visit.

I was mesmerised by the Burren too but also a little terrified by the narrow roads with hairpin bends!

Happy to be back, have missed the chat and am still trying to catchup.

Mysty, thank you for your funnies. Always puts a smile on my face.

Happy weekend all!

S

Thanks All ....

Tonight there was a fair amount of loud drunkeness - which I’ve not seen before. And when I say drunk I mean really out of it. How people can be in that state by 7pm takes real determination.

We had a fairly short dinner in the MDR some rather uncooked raw ravioli in a raw garlic sauce which I didn’t bother with. In fact I decided to miss both breakfast and lunch so I was rather looking forward to dinner. I had a small bit of bass with mash and we were out I think in less than 30 minutes. Thought we’d head to the grill for some icecream but it was just a very loud party. So I have ordered some ice cream from room service which has just arrived.

There is absolutely nothing one can do about stuff like this. I guess SS take the few that it is none of our business who else they sell suites to and the only thing left is to hope that others take it as a warning that they do this and it is unfair. We certainly wouldn’t have booked it if we had known.

The weather is fine Dave ... and tommorow is Valetta and we’ll stay on board having visited many times before.

I guess this post sounds a bit glum. But I think we just have to accept that these things happen and it is onward and upwards.

Welcome back sakaara! Your bar stool has been waiting for you and the bouncer has been giving it a dusting from time to time.

J.....my heart is very sad for the situation you and the lovely Mrs. J have found yourselves in. I know that you were both looking forward to a revisit of the wonderful memories you made on the Whisper. I think SS should advise people when they book large groups like the one you are dealing with. They may be afraid to lose business if people choose not to book with large groups. However, they should be concerned that people will not take the chance of finding a surprise large group on board and will take their business elsewhere. Short term gain for long term loss. Not smart! I hope you can scrap up some enjoyment over the rest of the voyage!

Hi All.....

So sorry to hear that Mr & Mrs Jeff are having issues with the charters.....afraid l experienced the same last December with the ‘Readers Offers’.....cheap cruises and folk couldn’t care less...dress code out of the door and drunkenness abound with many a confrontation when one just had to keep quiet and carry on....language was choice on many an occasion....to say the least.....so l am truly sympathetic.....

I have three more SS voyages booked and paid for but for now have drawn the line and am reconsidering the options....this is all so sad....

S😊

You know the saying "Its a woman's prerogative to change her mind"?:D….that pertains to everyone of course;) anyway, instead of The Panama Canal I think I am doing the River Cruise from Paris to Normandy which I have wanted to do ever since I came back from my first River Cruise which was in 2016.

I know many folks say Paris is better as a land trip but I have to do what is best for me:D……...I think April in Paris is probably a good month to go...….spring time.

Now I have to decide which line, I was reading a wonderful review on The River cruise forum from a couple who went on Uniworld. I have not sailed with them but I know they are supposed to be very good. My river cruise was on AMA which was really good too. Choices, choices!:)

Tonight there was a fair amount of loud drunkeness - which I’ve not seen before. And when I say drunk I mean really out of it. How people can be in that state by 7pm takes real determination.

That's nothing compared to my Volendam cruise (RT Sidney), on which one of an extremely loud and obnoxious group from a certain Slavic country was on his seventh "DOUBLE WHISKY!!!" at 7:00 AM ... and got upset because the bartender put it in a plastic 'glass' (this was at the Sea View Bar, aft on Lido Deck by the pool). His buddy (in a bathing suit), poured a bottle of 'Stella' all over his gigantic stomach, and washed his armpits with it while screaming "DEODORANT!!!"

Then, on the same cruise, there was the 'gang' of spoiled, bored, sullen, 'underage' teenagers from a certain country 'down under' who would lounge around at 1:00 AM, completely blocking a stairwell (I never use elevators on cruise ships)... and tried to get me to sell them the two beer I was carrying back to my stateroom. They vandalized the Piano Bar one night - the captain made an eloquent public announcement re: "Responsible Parenting" the next day.

:rolleyes:

Cruising is not what it used to be.

M,

Just to let you know I haven’t forgot your Sunday Clarkson, but he is on his hols! Probably on this boozecrooze!

This is his standin.

Now I can admit it: I was assaulted by thugs and too ashamed to tell the police

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eddie-mair-now-i-can-admit-it-i-was-assaulted-by-thugs-and-too-ashamed-to-tell-the-police-hlzcjxcbd?shareToken=0959167eae7de78afa84f9a866fe8d92

Greetings Coolers! Sunny day here too! :)

J...thanks so very much for remembering my treat even if he was on a walkabout! Unfortunately the link did not work for me. Not to worry. I am patient and can wait for his return. :) Hope your balcony breakfast went well!

So many horror stories about "charters". We have been extremely lucky not to have encountered them. Here's hoping that continues.

Today's funny....

34901905_1729583973755293_1704694750533124096_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=843ea62182486bf4ff0c2b48542915e7&oe=5BBE5540

Have a great day all!

I hope Canadians aren’t too polite to refuse entry to Mr Trump the next time he tries to visit, Mysty. What a boor.

You say you are staying on the ship, Jeff. Have you not been going off for the lovely sounding lunches which you had planned?

We had a fascinating contrast on a day in Malta. Segwaying in the morning-great fun but just as well the roads weren’t busy- then Caravaggio and the Pro cathedral in the afternoon

OH announced last week that his hospital is having a Bake Off competition to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the NHS. So now I have a dilemma. Do we go for a scale model of the hospital in gingerbread (it’s old Victorian redbrick in the main) or a torso mid operation rendered in Genoese sponge and strawberry jam?

Rp

RP...you are a delight! :) I vote for the gingerbread scale model of the hospital with figurines dressed in the attire of the times.

1MeagerHultonARchive.gif

As for the recent visit by the leader from our south for the G7...........

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/g7-communique-leaders-negotiations-1.4699871

""Based on Justin's false statements at his news conference, and the fact that Canada is charging massive Tariffs to our U.S. farmers, workers and companies, I have instructed our U.S. Reps not to endorse the communiqué as we look at tariffs on automobiles flooding the U.S. Market!," Trump tweeted.

Trump proceeded to blast Trudeau as "meek and mild" and "very dishonest & weak" in a barrage that was sparked by the prime minister's assertion that U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum were "insulting" and his insistence that Canada would not be pushed around."

At least Sen John MCcain posted a statement saying America stands with our Canadian Allies even if the President does not...……….

That old saying...….the pot calling the kettle black?…...dishonest? False statements?:eek::(:mad: