What is the earliest we can leave the ship if it arrives in Miami at 7:00 am?

dsringer

My husband and I are sailing on the Navigator of the Seas February 2-11th. We have to fly back to the western portion of Canada the same day and I am having issues with finding flights later in the day. What is the earliest that we can leave the ship? Can we request an early disembarkation due to flights? I found a 10 am flight, but I am not sure it is feasible.

Thanks for your wisdom,

My husband and I are sailing on the Navigator of the Seas February 2-11th. We have to fly back to the western portion of Canada the same day and I am having issues with finding flights later in the day. What is the earliest that we can leave the ship? Can we request an early disembarkation due to flights? I found a 10 am flight, but I am not sure it is feasible.

Thanks for your wisdom,

If you are willing to get in the self-assist line before 6am, and there are no delays, you can probably be off the ship by 7:45am.

A 10am flight from MIA would be too stressful for me.

Have you checked flights out of both Miami and Fort Lauderdale? I’m always worried that I am going to miss a flight and I like to physically be at the airport at least two hours ahead of time.

I would definitely do the self Disembark to be one of the first groups of people off of the ship. This can be done as long as you can carry all of your luggage yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If by chance you are returning on a weekday, friend tells me traffic in Miami is horrific. She says what used to take us 1/2 hour now she figures almost 2 hours. Won't a flight to Canada be International and thus have extra security? I believe you posted you were flying to Western Canada. Like Bob, I certainly wouldn't chance getting from cruise port to airport in Miami even if you are first off ship. Also, you never know if ship will arrive in port at designated time.

Personally would not want to risk such an early flight.

Sailed the Navigator in March of this year. My flight was around noon, and I remember having coffee and people commenting on how long the line was for people doing self-disembarkation.

Every cruise is different - perhaps we had a lot of local residents that wanted to be on the road; but it was a slow disembarkation. Long lines for customs, etc.

Airport was also crowded. Long lines for TSA. Plus you are flying international. Wouldn't risk it!

As another poster suggested check flights from Ft. Lauderdale too - you might find a later connection.

If by chance you are returning on a weekday, friend tells me traffic in Miami is horrific. She says what used to take us 1/2 hour now she figures almost 2 hours. .

Perhaps to FLL, but not to MIA. Even on a weekday, it will likely be a 15 min ride to MIA from POM with early self disembark.

Biker, who was at work north of FLL by 8:30 after disembarking Navigator earlier this year and would be OK with a 10 AM flight.

Perhaps to FLL, but not to MIA. Even on a weekday, it will likely be a 15 min ride to MIA from POM with early self disembark.

Biker, who was at work north of FLL by 8:30 after disembarking Navigator earlier this year and would be OK with a 10 AM flight.

Even though it's an international flight?

The earliest flight we've ever made was an 8:45am. We didn't book it that way. We just happened to get to to FLL airport early enough to standby for that flight. But with that said, and based on what I've seen on previous cruises, I would NEVER book a flight any earlier than 11:30-12:00pm. The starts aligned perfectly that one time we made the 8:45am, but most of the time they don't.

One thing that we did learn by arriving at the airport that early in the morning was that there are NO lines at that time! Not at the ticket counter, not at TSA. We literally went through security with nobody in line ahead of us. So there are perks to getting up that early and being off the ship that fast.

Another thing that we also learned was that UBER was the way to go. We didn't arrange any transportation in advance and just summoned an UBER as soon as we stepped outside customs. Within less than 60 seconds, our ride was in front of us and we were on our way to the airport. This was also another big contributor to our early departure.

Thanks for your wisdom,

on our Feb. Navigator cruise we self disembark and were one of the first on the exit line. They let us off at 7:15am, picked up bags, went thru customs, took a waiting taxi and at the airport by 8:15am. Had a long wait at the airport.

If you are willing to get in the self-assist line before 6am, and there are no delays, you can probably be off the ship by 7:45am.

A 10am flight from MIA would be too stressful for me.

At least Feb 11th is a Sunday.

Thanks for your wisdom,

OP - Let us know how this goes for you. We sail Nav out MIA in April and have a domestic 10:05AM flight booked. As long as the ship is cleared by customs on schedule we should make it.

Thanks

I'd take the 10AM flight, too. With self-disembark, it won't be that bad.

If I lived near PM and had a 10AM flight out of MIA, I wouldn't leave my house until 8 or so anyways. My experience has been pretty darn fast security, check in, etc at airports anyways. And you can check in online and usually just do bag drop off. Then to security which moves quickly. I don't see it taking 2 hours to get off a ship and to the gate at MIA. No way.

By the way, Google shows traffic/commute from PM to MIA during rush hour, on a weekday, as 12 - 16 minutes.

I'd take the 10AM flight, too. With self-disembark, it won't be that bad.

If I lived near PM and had a 10AM flight out of MIA, I wouldn't leave my house until 8 or so anyways. My experience has been pretty darn fast security, check in, etc at airports anyways. And you can check in online and usually just do bag drop off. Then to security which moves quickly. I don't see it taking 2 hours to get off a ship and to the gate at MIA. No way.

By the way, Google shows traffic/commute from PM to MIA during rush hour, on a weekday, as 12 - 16 minutes.

My experience in Miami has been long TSA lines - never fast through security. Remember OP is also flying on an international flight - can make a difference. When flying internationally I usually find things just are not as quick.

As I posted earlier, sailed the Navigator earlier this year and although I did not do self walk off I was off early. I had used luggage valet and had no bag to search for - that didn't matter - still had to join the huge line for customs. There were only a couple of gates/agents open and they were being slow/thorough. Transportation to the airport wasn't bad, but again long lines for TSA.

I honestly think every cruise, every day is different. Very hard to forecast what OP's experience might be.

Even though it's an international flight?

Yes. In fact, international flight from the USA means nothing. Just a passport check - that takes about 5 seconds :D. International arrivals into the USA take more time because you need to go through immigration then also customs (with the exception from some cities, especially but not exclusively in Canada, where you go through US immigration and customs before you board the flight to the USA). But international departures from the USA are handled exactly the same way as domestic departures, except for the passport check.

My experience in Miami has been long TSA lines - never fast through security. Remember OP is also flying on an international flight - can make a difference. When flying internationally I usually find things just are not as quick.

As I posted earlier, sailed the Navigator earlier this year and although I did not do self walk off I was off early. I had used luggage valet and had no bag to search for - that didn't matter - still had to join the huge line for customs. There were only a couple of gates/agents open and they were being slow/thorough. Transportation to the airport wasn't bad, but again long lines for TSA.

I honestly think every cruise, every day is different. Very hard to forecast what OP's experience might be.

To be fair, by your own admission, you took the slow way off. General disembark clogs up customs. Using self-assist, you walk off and don't deal with long customs lines.

Security sometimes takes a tad longer with international only because of the passenger volume. I've flown international out of Miami many times and simply never had any remarkable slow downs or issues with security. Usually I walk right through in under 5 minutes. At worst, maybe 15 minutes...

Last time PreCheck wasn't open, and it still only took 15 minutes. I haven't seen long security lines anywhere in a good 5+ years. It's a thing of the past, generally speaking.

And note that the larger long haul flights to Europe leave in the evening, not the morning. Nothing is entirely predictable... but I think making this flight would be easy.

Different ship but we walked off the Escape last fall about 7:30. We had a 10am flight. Took about 30 min for customs and 20 min shuttle ride to MIA. We were at airport by 8:30.

If you walk off unless the ship is late I would think if you hustle you can take a flight 10 or later. Anything earlier might be risky.

Thanks for your wisdom,

I'm on the exact same cruise, and am also flying back to Canada (eastern though). I personally won't risk it, too many variable and not worth the stress on the last day of your vacation. Take the extra day, go home Monday morning!

Personally would not want to risk such an early flight.

Sailed the Navigator in March of this year. My flight was around noon, and I remember having coffee and people commenting on how long the line was for people doing self-disembarkation.

Every cruise is different - perhaps we had a lot of local residents that wanted to be on the road; but it was a slow disembarkation. Long lines for customs, etc.

Airport was also crowded. Long lines for TSA. Plus you are flying international. Wouldn't risk it!

As another poster suggested check flights from Ft. Lauderdale too - you might find a later connection.

Thanks for the information. I have been researching both Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Flying from the states to Canada usually requires another stop which would make our initial flight domestic. Anyway, I will continue to look for an 11:30 or Noon flight.

The earliest flight we've ever made was an 8:45am. We didn't book it that way. We just happened to get to to FLL airport early enough to standby for that flight. But with that said, and based on what I've seen on previous cruises, I would NEVER book a flight any earlier than 11:30-12:00pm. The starts aligned perfectly that one time we made the 8:45am, but most of the time they don't.

One thing that we did learn by arriving at the airport that early in the morning was that there are NO lines at that time! Not at the ticket counter, not at TSA. We literally went through security with nobody in line ahead of us. So there are perks to getting up that early and being off the ship that fast.

Another thing that we also learned was that UBER was the way to go. We didn't arrange any transportation in advance and just summoned an UBER as soon as we stepped outside customs. Within less than 60 seconds, our ride was in front of us and we were on our way to the airport. This was also another big contributor to our early departure.

Thanks,

Great information

Thanks for the information. I have been researching both Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Flying from the states to Canada usually requires another stop which would make our initial flight domestic. Anyway, I will continue to look for an 11:30 or Noon flight.

Most of the flights I see are from either MIA or FLL to Toronto or Montreal, must have a domestic stop cause of your end destination.

Whatever you decide, GL!

On Enchantment this past Monday I was off the ship at 7:20am and at work by 8:00am (all the way in North Miami). Ship scheduled arrival was 7:00am.

I personally would not risk taking an early flight. Traffic here in South Florida can be horrible. All it takes is one accident and you can be stuck for a while.