Dumb question--For the Table

no1racefan1

I might be making myself sound dumb here...

You know how on the dessert menu, at the bottom, it says For the Table and lists the pie of the day? Does this mean the whole table has to get pie in order to have some?

DH and I sat at two-tops on our last cruise, so we never ordered pie. We thought it had to be a whole pie for the table. BUT we both really like pie, so I'd like to know before our next cruise if it is considered a 'faux pas' to order pie just for us ;p

First, I will say there is NO dumb question, as that is how we all learn about cruising. :)

In regard to the menu in the MDR (unless it is where you pay) everything on the menu should be free, unless it notes otherwise. No one else at the table has to order what you want, or vice versa. You can have one slice of pie, or two or three, depending upon how you feel at that time to order it.

First, I will say there is NO dumb question, as that is how we all learn about cruising. :)

In regard to the menu in the MDR (unless it is where you pay) everything on the menu should be free, unless it notes otherwise. No one else at the table has to order what you want, or vice versa. You can have one slice of pie, or two or three, depending upon how you feel at that time to order it.

Haha, thanks! It is the menu in the MDR, and not an old menu. It was on the menus when we sailed this past Feb. and I've seen it on most of the menus people have posted in recent reviews.

Or maybe it means something different entirely???? Either way, I feel much better knowing we can order the pie :)

Haha, thanks! It is the menu in the MDR, and not an old menu. It was on the menus when we sailed this past Feb. and I've seen it on most of the menus people have posted in recent reviews.

Or maybe it means something different entirely???? Either way, I feel much better knowing we can order the pie :)

I went back through my menus from last month and August and didn't see the "For The Table" option anywhere. I do remember that when they first changed to the American Table menus, there were things that were listed as such and it caused a lot of confusion and people didn't like the idea of having to share things so they removed them.

I just looked again closer and on Conquest under "For The Table" it doesn't list pie for any of the nights under there, but rather Melting Cake. So weird. They are definitely not going to bring one huge Melting Cake or everyone at the table one! That is pretty strange and I never even saw it until now. When they started the AT menus, I seem to remember appetizers listed as "For the Table" too and people were having a fit saying they would refuse to share flatbread with strangers, or whatever it was. They also had the pie listed there back then and people were confused if they had to get the whole pie or could just have a slice. It appears those menus are no more.

My August Conquest cruise https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2538649

My October Glory cruise https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2556511

Edited by firemanbobswife

You might have just asked your waiter about this when you wanted to order the pie. The customer is always entitled to ask about the menu and the wait staff are trained to answer your questions.

We had pie for "the table " on one cruise and it was served so that my sister and I could share it.

At any restaurant when the menu is confusing please just ask the staff about it.

I am sorry if you felt uncomfortable doing that.

Remember that you are the guest! The staff is supposed to try to make you happy!!

You might have just asked your waiter about this when you wanted to order the pie. The customer is always entitled to ask about the menu and the wait staff are trained to answer your questions.

We had pie for "the table " on one cruise and it was served so that my sister and I could share it.

At any restaurant when the menu is confusing please just ask the staff about it.

I am sorry if you felt uncomfortable doing that.

Remember that you are the guest! The staff is supposed to try to make you happy!!

Exactly! Nothing wrong with asking questions or even for 2 desserts [emoji3]! Some people at our table did that when they couldn’t decide which one they wanted. Wasn’t me though. There were nights I was too full for any.

So if they bake a pie for the table do they bake different sizes? A small version for a two top, a medium for a four top, a large for an eight top and an extra large for the big tables?:confused: Or do they bake a two person version, and the two top gets one, a four top gets two, etc.? Of course that would then have to be advertised as pies for the table. :D

Just order a pie and have them hold the extra slice.... or slices. Just like Jack Nicholson did in the movie.:D

I think this was an idea that they had when rolling out the new menu. Something sticks in my head that the flat bread and other appetizers were at one point for the table. I think they were designed with the idea that a table might want to share these items. It has just never come to pass.

So if they bake a pie for the table do they bake different sizes? A small version for a two top, a medium for a four top, a large for an eight top and an extra large for the big tables?:confused: Or do they bake a two person version, and the two top gets one, a four top gets two, etc.? Of course that would then have to be advertised as pies for the table. :D

Just order a pie and have them hold the extra slice.... or slices. Just like Jack Nicholson did in the movie.:D

LOL!! I guess that's why this is an idea that seems to not have worked out! Must just be that some menus haven't been changed yet. I know we could have asked the server, but to be honest we are pretty low-key, go with the flow people and it wasn't really a big deal since I found plenty of other dessert to eat :D

I just wanted to ask CC what it meant so I would know for next time. Although, judging by the responses I got here, it sounds like the pie might be a super big letdown after creating an entire thread to talk about it!

Yeah the "for the table" never took off. Besides, if you like frozen fruit pies like Mrs. Smith's that you take home and bake you'll like the MDR pies on Carnival. I do not. That's my truth. YMMV

The Banana Cream pie at the Seaday Brunch is good as is the Key Lime pie on the lido. We never miss those. :D

Dessert is ordered individually. One person ordered pie for theirs and they brought one piece. I think you are looking at some old menus.

I was off the Pride on Sunday 10/29 and indeed it did offer desserts "for the table". But we were told we could order for one.

I was off the Pride on Sunday 10/29 and indeed it did offer desserts "for the table". But we were told we could order for one.

Like I said and posted, the only “For the Table” items I have seen lately while on a cruise is the Chocolate Melting Cake which leads me to believe that some ships are using the older menus. Why they now have CMC under that section is beyond me.

Edited by firemanbobswife

As you can probably guess, when cruising, a person learns through trial and error. Yes, sometimes things change, so just to make sure, always ask the wait-staff, and they are always will to help.:)

For myself, I would never order that much dessert or anything else, but when my sons and wives went in March, I told them they could order (MDR) anything on the menu (if it did not say otherwise) that they wanted, and YES they did! They really didn't believe mom was right, but I showed them, and they did eat it, especially all the different kinds of meats. :) They were just amazed that they could order anything off the menu, unless stated otherwise. Actually they did this the last, or next to the last day of the cruise, as they knew it would not be like this when they got home!:)

Yeah the "for the table" never took off. Besides, if you like frozen fruit pies like Mrs. Smith's that you take home and bake you'll like the MDR pies on Carnival. I do not. That's my truth. YMMV

The Banana Cream pie at the Seaday Brunch is good as is the Key Lime pie on the lido. We never miss those. :D

Actually think that Mrs Smith makes outstanding juicy fruit pies. Carnival does not.

BTW very sorry to report that my favorite carnival dessert the Key Lime pie has bit the dirt/

I think this was an idea that they had when rolling out the new menu. Something sticks in my head that the flat bread and other appetizers were at one point for the table. I think they were designed with the idea that a table might want to share these items. It has just never come to pass.

Actually it did come to pass. When the American table was introduced a few years ago the flat bread was served family style. Later on it was ordered and served as individual portions.

LOL!! I guess that's why this is an idea that seems to not have worked out! Must just be that some menus haven't been changed yet. I know we could have asked the server, but to be honest we are pretty low-key, go with the flow people and it wasn't really a big deal since I found plenty of other dessert to eat :D

I just wanted to ask CC what it meant so I would know for next time. Although, judging by the responses I got here, it sounds like the pie might be a super big letdown after creating an entire thread to talk about it!

While heeding the advice of fellow CC'ers is a good idea, I always make up my own mind... so if you think you might like to try the pie, order 2 desserts- the pie and a backup you would like! That way if the pie really isn't to your taste, you have the fall back dessert! and if you like both, so much the better!