3 out of 5 ports cancelled. What compensation can we expect?

Travel mad

In EU, or EU airline, if delayed more that 2 hours, they have to give you food and drink. If over 3 hours, additional things kick in, but only if the delay is in control of the airline. So weather or strikes DO not count. Over 3 hours, in control of the airline and there are specific monetary compensations based on length of the flight. Over 5 hours, you get a full refund, flight back to your departure point AND monetary compensation.

US is similar in that if an overnight delay is their fault, they must provide lodging, but not if weather related. US has no monetary compensation in the rules, you get food, drink, phone calls,and possibly a room.

On interesting thing is, they passed a law limiting how long you can sit on the airplane before it departs. Due to draconian penalties, it is cheaper for the airline to just cancel the flight. Especially if weather is involved. Unintended consequences.

In EU, or EU airline, if delayed more that 2 hours, they have to give you food and drink. If over 3 hours, additional things kick in, but only if the delay is in control of the airline. So weather or strikes DO not count.

For delays / cancellations which come under EU legislation - that's flights on an EU aircraft flying in or out of an EU airport, and non-EU aircraft flying out of an EU airport - the duty of care (food, accommodation, etc) applies in all circumstances, including bad weather.

The rules regarding additional monetary compensation are more complex and vague - no surprise there, after all the EU is the capital of bureaucracy :rolleyes: - and depend on whether there were exceptional circumstances which let the airline off the hook. The Icelandic ash-cloud is regarded as exceptional circumstances. If for safety reasons the number of flights permitted to take off or land in bad weather is reduced by air traffic control that's considered to be exceptional circumstances. Bad weather which delays your flight might or might not be considered exceptional circumstances,. But if bad weather for an earlier flight elsewhere has had a knock-on effect on your flight you're entitled to compensation.Those & other interpretations have come about as a result of case law.

Complicated, innit!!

The airline has obligations even tho in many cases the circumstances are outwith their control .

That's pretty unfair on airlines, but I equate that to credit card companies' obligations regarding faulty goods, etc.

I knew a little about the subject, but while checking facts with my old friend Google I was surprised by the sheer number of "no win, no fee" lawyers who've paid for page one listing on Google to tout for claimants.

Here's a few examples of EU aircraft delay / cancellation claims on an ambulance-chasing lawyer's website

http://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-delay-compensation/claim-guides/flight-compensation-bad-weather

JB :) (barrack-room lawyer)

A longer explanation of what I said. :)

The big difference is EU requires food if delayed, no matter what the reason. US exempts airlines from everything if out of their control (weather, riots, volcanos, etc).

And EU has monetary payments for longer delays, if not out of airline control. US is only covers food, lodging and eventually getting you there.

US is similar in that if an overnight delay is their fault, they must provide lodging, but not if weather related. US has no monetary compensation in the rules, you get food, drink, phone calls,and possibly a room.

This isn't true. There is no US federal law requiring US airlines (unless the flight falls under EU Regulation 261/2004) to provide anything but a refund if you don't want to wait for an available seat.

• 1 month later...
Did you read your cruise contract? If so, you would see they can change, rearrange, cancel or substitute any port at any time for any reason. You agreed when you paid your fare. They owe you nothing. This is how cruising works.

Yes, I have read HAL's cruise contract many times.

I am curious as to why you resurrected a dormant thread to reply to a post made over 7weeks ago, and not directed at you, but to the OP.

'cos that's how you 'achieve' 80,000 + posts, most of which have recently been incomprehensible.

From what I read here, it seems like the compensation/consideration is unique to each cruise line.
And perhaps even case by case on the same cruise line, and dependant on who has the problem on the cruise lines' side.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.