Shorts in dining room

tommy

I ussually board in slacks or put a pair in my c arry on Our luggageon HAL has always been delivered long before dinner.. I would not want togo to dinn in MDR i wearing shorts. They are okay forbreakfast or lunch.

Holland America's website is quite clear and makes no exception for the first night.

• Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

HOWEVER, it actually depends on who is manning the door to the MDR and how they want to follow HAL's recommendations.

Could you put a light pair of long pants in your carryon just in case? My DH and I would feel a little out of place in MDR wearing shorts. If we did not have our luggage and we were wearing shorts, we would probably eat in the Lido buffet. Just our feelings and not everyone would agree.

If you don't have your luggage long before dinner there is something radically wrong. I have been totally unpacked before muster on every cruise I have ever taken.

I totally agree with Ruthc, I have always had my luggage and unpacked before muster as well, hopefully the OP will, as well.

If you don't have your luggage long before dinner there is something radically wrong. I have been totally unpacked before muster on every cruise I have ever taken.

That has always been the case for us also.

That excuse to wear anything to the MDR on the first night is really getting very old and boring.

Could you put a light pair of long pants in your carryon just in case? My DH and I would feel a little out of place in MDR wearing shorts. If we did not have our luggage and we were wearing shorts, we would probably eat in the Lido buffet. Just our feelings and not everyone would agree.

I totally agree with the Lady.

I always fly in a decent pair of b lack slacks just in case luggage is lostt. A few cl ean tops in my carry on and I can manage until I get my luggage or can shop.

Just off the Oosterdam. Saw 2 men in shorts on the first night in the MDR. Other nights were almost as lax. Lots of tee shirts, even on gala night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm very sorry to read that.

Yes, shorts are allowed in the MDR on the first bought.

Yes..not everyone will get their luggage in time for dinner.

These are the correct answers to the question. And like CB said, they allow it on night 1 because there can be luggage delays. I'm sure the OP knows the rules beyond night 1, hence the question, so the lectures aren't necessary.

And to answer those who imply luggage is always timely because they haven't had issues, on my past Koningsdam cruise, they were still delivering luggage at 5 pm. Early seating was 5:15. Many people did not have their luggage in time.

These are the correct answers to the question. And like CB said, they allow it on night 1 because there can be luggage delays. I'm sure the OP knows the rules beyond night 1, hence the question, so the lectures aren't necessary.

And to answer those who imply luggage is always timely because they haven't had issues, on my past Koningsdam cruise, they were still delivering luggage at 5 pm. Early seating was 5:15. Many people did not have their luggage in time.

Absolutely. I've gotten mine quite late in the afternoon.

Late deliver of one or both bags has happened to us frequently. Never when we have been in a Neptune, but it has happened in every other cabin category.

I've never seen that in the HAL written dress code. Have you?

I've never looked at the written dress code for that specific information. However, a couple of times I have seen people in the main dining room in shorts for dinner the first night. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures.

I've never looked at the written dress code for that specific information. However, a couple of times I have seen people in the main dining room in shorts for dinner the first night. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures.

Time and again, we have seen many posts quoting the dress code and never have I read shorts permitted in t he MDR first night. I cannot say if anyone has worn shorts, on any of my cruises first night to MDR as I truly do not care enough to scan tables in my area to see if people dressed with some compliance. or not. I wear what I think appropriate and that is all of my concern in the matter. In the whole scheme of today's world, , what is the big deal? North Korea shot off another missle today,THAT is my idea of a Big Deal

I do hope people have enough self respect as well as respect for those around them, to use a bit of good judgment in choosing their 'outift'.

Edited by sail7seas

Fortunately busybodies do not make the rules, guidelines, or suggestions. They do not interpret them on behalf of HAL management Busibodies do not (thankfully) enforce the rules.

The rules, guidelines, and suggestions are made by HAL.

HAL on board personnel enforce those rules...albeit in a haphazard manner.

I guess the next question we can expect is: Are bathrobes or pj's allowed in the dining room? I sent all my clothing out ( both outfits that I brought in my carry on for my 30 day cruise) to the laundry and they didn't come back yet.

NOTE: I copied the info below directly from HAL's website under "Guest attire"

Did HAL change their dress code?

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

• Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

BTW: is your luggage doesn't come in time for dinner there is always the buffet or room service if you aren't able to dress appropriately.