Have you overpacked or underpacked for a cruise?

SLSD

On a recent long cruise there was one friend who managed on just carry on. Another got a penthouse for its bigger closet. We’re in the middle with two duffle type ebags and one roller bag, plus totes.

We all had a great time.

I am normally not an over packer but for cruises it is different. I don’t get to wear a large variety of clothes in my normal at home days. I work from home and live on a small farm, so when we cruise I pack a variety of beautiful clothes. And then shoes or boots to match. I leave some room to bring something back. If possible I pay someone to do my laundry before I leave... I’m on vacation and I’m enjoying every second!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nashna, I’m looking forward to meeting you in our forthcoming cruise; we will certainly have, at least, one thing in common.

Since the cruise is just over a month away, I've been busy ordering stuff online. Can't wait to hit that warm Caribbean sunshine.

Since the cruise is just over a month away, I've been busy ordering stuff online. Can't wait to hit that warm Caribbean sunshine.

Visiting family in Florida now, and buying another swimsuit. No need in Central New York to have two swimsuits! Yes, warm sunshine, here we come😄😎

We are definitely over packers!! We figure we are driving to the Port so what's an extra suitcase.

The only time we needed to rethink packing was when we did a Transatlantic in 2012. We were flying to London and cruising back, spending 3 days touring London. It was November so we needed warmer clothes, and they take up more room in your suitcase. Plus flying we were overweight on the suitcases, we decided to do an extra case and pay for it.

I was surprised that the on board shop only sold men’s swim suits. I had been hoping to buy a new one on board.

Visiting family in Florida now, and buying another swimsuit. No need in Central New York to have two swimsuits! Yes, warm sunshine, here we come😄😎

I don’t know if I am an over packer but definitely not an under packer. I write out a detailed day by day itinerary so I can figure out what clothes are suitable for planned activities. I also check out the historic weather for each location. Then I come up with an array of mix and match pieces I can change up and layer if necessary. Definitely have laundry sent out frequently. For evening I am with Frantic/Julie - I like to dress up and bring a number of dresses and heels. ( I do usually have to ask our stewardess to bring me extra hangers). That said my usual luggage for a month long trip is a 24” bag weighing under 50 pounds and a 17”by 17” rolling carry on bag. DH’s luggage is the same. For the Antarctica cruise I did bring and additional gym bag to hold our expedition wear.

And I have to laugh at the comment that keeps appearing here that “no one notices what you wear.” Defiantly not true when it comes to me and my friends - we do notice what others wear. And please no flaming - I said “notice” not judge.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I see no reason not to have lots of clothes and so, if that may mean “overpacking” to some, that’s fine with me. We are only responsible for our own luggage and not for anyone else’s luggage.

I will pack 2 large suitcases for a long and/or variable scenery cruise. They can include black and white dinner jackets, 2 or 3 blazers/sport jackets and then everything else. And I do get “free” laundry and dry cleaning on board. Business class allowances are generous and eg for the upcoming Antarctica cruise a third large suitcase is chargeable on a per piece basis.

I know many Seabourn regulars who use Luggage Forward and who travel with a couple of carryons. They are in the US and Canada. I find the prices from my home in the UK prohibitive relative to many distant Seabourn embarkation and disembarkation ports. Not so bad if I were living in the US or Canada- I have checked.

My backpacking days are over and so I might as well have enough clothes and stuff to make daily choices without a care.

Happy and healthy cruising!

I like your attitude markham and generally agree. It appears that our one larger suitcase and one carry-on size suitcase plus carryon tote each was not so out of line. I did not have to wish for anything I had left at home. I have to admit that I did not take my most attractive formal wear dress and probably should have. I was held back by the fact that it doesn't travel particularly well. It had made a trip to Houston for a party and didn't enjoy the experience (wrinkles that were hard to iron out because of the delicate fabric).

I think I am now in the category of those who are not noticed if they are in the same outfit again, so there are some advantages if being older and probably less glam than others. I do 'rotate' my evening tops so that it will be a week at least since you saw it before. However, it will be suitable for the occasion, and hopefully not frightening the horses, and maybe my OBC jewellery from the shop will make a good impression!

Some people are oblivious, or perhaps disinterested, in clothes. My father, who was an absent minded scientist, had to be inspected by my mother before he headed out each morning to ensure that he was reasonably presentable and that both socks were the same colour.

Others are rather particular about what they wear and how often they wear the same thing. They also tend to notice what others are wearing.

Most, however, are somewhere in the middle, take a reasonable selection of clothes. That would be me. After multiple cruises, I have a good feel for what the 'right' amount of clothes is for my needs. I only tend to notice others if the are particularly fabulous, particularly outrageous or particularly awful.

So the notion of under or over packing is somewhat false. We all pack to our tastes and to our needs.

The right amount of clothes for me is considered a little on the heavy side for most.

I pack for every eventuality on each cruise,formal wear,semi formal,casual.

Jackets,ties,long and short sleeve shirts.

That way I can never get caught out and always feel comfortable and well dressed.

I do not worry about the amount of luggage that I have as I don’t touch it after I have left home it goes into the car that takes me to the airport and it is unloaded by the driver and porter when I arrive at the hotel or ship on embarkation.Then it appears on my bed in my suite.

Nothing too taxing there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I always do a spreadsheet of what I will wear each night. I double up on bottoms so I can get two night with them. I will bring an extra top incase I don't want to wear one of them. This helps with not forgetting something and limits how much I bring so I don't overpack.

Thumbs up for the spreadsheet idea. I "sort of" use it, but I include more "what if" tops than I usually need. Anyway, I still carry only one large suitcase and a carry-on tote. Shoes generally make my packing difficult, as I love to change shoes frequently. However, next cruise will be Caribbean....

International business class flights allow a pair of 32kg suitcases per person as well as a carry on bag and a laptop case or similar. Having paid for it why would we not use it ?

The smartest move we ever made was designating one piece of luggage specifically for shoes.

If I'm going to Thailand for a few weeks then shorts and T-shirts are all that's needed but a cruise is different. Several Jackets, spare trousers just in case, lots of shirts for variety and just in case and a number of footwear options.

The different watches travel as carry on with me....... :)

Ironically at work I don't have to dress up so I see cruising as a chance to scrub up for Mrs Able Seaman H.

Henry :)

International business class flights allow a pair of 32kg suitcases per person as well as a carry on bag and a laptop case or similar. Having paid for it why would we not use it ?

The smartest move we ever made was designating one piece of luggage specifically for shoes.

If I'm going to Thailand for a few weeks then shorts and T-shirts are all that's needed but a cruise is different. Several Jackets, spare trousers just in case, lots of shirts for variety and just in case and a number of footwear options.

The different watches travel as carry on with me....... :)

Ironically at work I don't have to dress up so I see cruising as a chance to scrub up for Mrs Able Seaman H.

Henry :)

My husband and I are pretty terrible when it comes to over-packing. But we love dressing for dinner and having lots of options. There's usually enough space the room, we've found, to put everything away. We MIGHT try to pack lightly on our upcoming cruise in March...but in the end we'll probably bring lots again. Of course, we also bring all of our own SCUBA gear (not tanks) so limiting it all down to two carry-ons and a gear bag would be a huge challenge.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

Every time I look in the hallway at the end of a trip, I am astounded that people, can honestly go on a 14 day cruise, for example, with just a carry on or one bag each. I wish I could, I really do but forget it, it’s impossible. I must say in my defense, last trip we wore everything! I love wearing special things, getting dressed and DH doesn’t mind (CCC is the way to go), so, the solution is to hire porters to carry the luggage! I shudder to think how many suitcases we will bring for our next trip of 7 weeks, yikes!

Edited by Horsgrl
typo

As well you should, you go girl ! My beloved, wise and “evolved” Grandmother used to say two things (well, far more than two) that I always repeat to this day........1. “Never buy in a hurry” : that meant don’t be impulsive, but think things through first :hearteyes: 2. “Always buy GOOD” : meaning well tailored, good fabrics, etc. that would last. So, over time, you buy timeless, special things that you have forever, love and .... you wear them. I rest my case!

Edited by Horsgrl
typo