Trip Insurance Worth the $$$

Zuki

Recently we cancelled our cruise for a California Coastal due to my asthma and the fires in the region. Smoke is one of the worst triggers to my asthma attacks.

The trip insurance paid everything in full... cruise, airfare and all non refundable excursions.

I've often wondered if I was wasting money buying insurance,., but I will never travel without it.

Happy!

Really depends on your health. We have traveled and cruised for 30 years well over 60 cruises - never bought insurance until 5 years ago, I am 70 and my Dh is 85. We have never used the insurance, we only purchase medical and evacuation insurance because we have Medicare now. We buy an annual business travelers insurance to cover such incidents, we self insurance our trip costs. This has worked for us.

I just had to cancel my cruise two days ago on the Royal that left today, sniff... my husband has been in the hospital since November 25, and should still be there for another 4 or 5 days.

I already have received the EZ Air back, minus cancellation fee, and all incidentals like a coffee card! Now, I'm waiting for Aon to process the rest. I couldn't believe how fast Princess processed the reimbursement! I will never travel without it again!

Really depends on your health. We have traveled and cruised for 30 years well over 60 cruises - never bought insurance until 5 years ago, I am 70 and my Dh is 85. We have never used the insurance, we only purchase medical and evacuation insurance because we have Medicare now. We buy an annual business travelers insurance to cover such incidents, we self insurance our trip costs. This has worked for us.

I wouldn't go by age - I slipped on some ice and fell down a flight stairs before a vacation once in my 20s. ANYTHING can happen. Or things can happen to your family or you pets etc. I get cancel for any reason and make sure I have enough medical/evac to ensure I can get air evacuated to a nice private hospital no matter where I'm at - which can be very expensive.

I just had to cancel my cruise two days ago on the Royal that left today, sniff... my husband has been in the hospital since November 25, and should still be there for another 4 or 5 days.

I am very sorry to read that you had to cancel.

We had to cancel when my mother in law died.

(best mother-in-law ever, no stereotype)

No problem getting a refund, once her doctor completed some paperwork.

Good to know! Was your claim based on medical? How long was it processed?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes it was based on medical. There is a form your doctor fills out. It took 3 weeks to get the refund. They even apologized for the delay because they said they had so many claims due to the hurricanes. I thought 3 weeks was fabulous.

I already have received the EZ Air back, minus cancellation fee, and all incidentals like a coffee card! Now, I'm waiting for Aon to process the rest. I couldn't believe how fast Princess processed the reimbursement! I will never travel without it again!

Nina so sorry to hear about your husband. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Cancelling a cruise was really depressing. I didn't expect to feel so sad. But now we have the funds to plan the next one.

We had to cancel a cruise on Holland America when I had a heart procedure. HAL's insurance paid me 80 percent of the cruise fare back but my credit card paid the remainder. It's a good idea to check with your credit card company about any travel protection benefits it offers. I also got reimbursed for our nonrefundable Priceline hotel reservation through my credit card. Since we had booked flights on Southwest, I was able to use the money we paid for them on other flights within a year.

On our cruise this summer to the British isles, DH had to visit the ship's doctor to the tune of around $400. We're still waiting for his primary insurance to send him reimbursement for what it will pay. He'll claim the rest with Princess insurance.

Self insuring trip costs has nothing to do with health. It is simply a question if you can afford to lose the entire cost of your cruise.

We would never travel without it on any cruise or any vacation outside the country!

In over 50 cruises and several land based vacations, I have only had to use it twice and it's paid off for all the other times we've purchased it and not used it. One time I had to cancel just a couple of days before my trip as I ended up with a ruptured appendix so received the entire cost of the trip back. The other time, I ripped my ACL right in half at the first port of call ... all doctor's visits were covered. I also was refunded everything we paid on excursions for the remainder of the cruise ... a couple of which had past deadlines. Why I really purchase it is for medical evacuation, though ... that is what will cost a LOT if you are out at sea and suddenly need to get back to a medical facility equipped to deal with emergencies. But, it doesn't hurt that it also covers you if your luggage is lost, if your plane is delayed, etc.

we have travelled quite a bit and originally never purchased the insurance. Now we always do. Two separate trips I caught the flu and all medical expenses were reimbursed. (and yes I got the flu shot ahead of time).

Also, friends got ill and had to go home from Europe - the insurance covered the airfares last minute as well as medical costs.

Well worth it if you ask me.:p

It's certainly worth the cost to us. We had to cancel a cruise last May due to a breast cancer diagnosis - that can happen to any woman at any age. Luckily on that one we were still one week away from final payment, but it was close enough to teach us a lesson. Now we need to cancel our Jan. 3 cruise due to another emergency requiring surgery. This insurance was through our TA so we're about to find out how many hoops we need to jump through and how long the process takes. No matter how difficult it is, we're sure we'll eventually get back more than enough to cover everything we've spent on insurance up to this point.

You also never know when a parent or child pass's away. Happen to us once. Twice we've been on cruses when and exhusband and exgrandparent have passed. Well no covered insurance for that so we sailed on and enjoyed the cruise. The point is personal emergency's can take many forms not just your health.

framer

We don't buy it because we don't need it. Medical is fully covered through work and trip cancellation is covered by credit cards. When that changes we would definitely buy travel insurance.

I used to buy travel insurance and in fact used it once. Then my credit card, the only one for whom I pay an annual fee, increased their coverage significantly. I now book and pay for all cruises with that credit card. And when I cruise with children and grandchildren I book for all of us since immediate family is included. Yes, I’ve heard it is a hassle collecting, but the money I am saving makes up for that trouble.

During our recent August TA from Copenhagen on Royal, my husband had a heart attack 4 nights from disembarking in Boston so we were diverted to ST Johns Newfoundland as it was the nearest Hospital.After 9 days, he was brought home via our United Health Care Insurance, at $0 cost to me.I won't travel without it.

Gay

We, as are a few others out there, are not as young as we once were & are now buying the Princess platinum insurance. We have had to use it twice; once for medical; once for stolen luggage. it is good to have when you need it!

It does not cover stolen passports...you are on your own for that.

Steve & Pete

We, as are a few others out there, are not as young as we once were & are now buying the Princess platinum insurance. We have had to use it twice; once for medical; once for stolen luggage. it is good to have when you need it!

It does not cover stolen passports...you are on your own for that.

Steve & Pete

Wow... stolen luggage. Did it happen at the ship or airport?

We just got off the Island Princess on a Ocean to Ocean Panama Canal trip. We were to travel with another couple however he had a minor operation that was botched by the surgeon. He cancelled about a week before the trip and got all his money back sin insurance premium. Cheap Cheap protection.