Help me pick a dessert!

DC1979

I have cruised with Holland America several times before, but have always eaten in the MDR. For my next cruise, I decided to try the specialty restaurants and booked a night each at Pinnacle, Canaletto and Tamarind. I was browsing the menus and while I can select the appetizers and mains fairly easily, all the desserts look yummy!! I wanted to hear from the experts and see if there is something I simply must try for my first experience. Thanks!!

In the Pinnacle I love a dish of the Cherry Garcia ice cream---served plain.

Just ask for the Baked Alaska, without the 'Baked' part! :D

When I eat in Tamarind, the chocolate fortune cookie is a real treat to finish off the meal.

Thanks for your suggestions! It sounds like the chocolate fortune cookie is the way to go in the Tamarind. I was leaning towards the volcano cake in the pinnacle as well, so happy to see that it is popular. I’ll let you know what I think of my selections. Thanks again! Now I wish my cruise was tomorrow!!

Pinnacle Dinner: yes, the Volcano Cake (comes with whipped cream), but order vanilla ice cream, too. Might as well blow the calorie budget seriously!

Pinnacle lunch: Strawberry Pavlova or the brownie (with ice cream).

Have a great culinary adventure!

Yes, the vanilla ice cream on the side is indicated: there is rarely a sufficient proportion of whipped cream to ideally dilute the chocolate of the lava cake.

Pinnacle Dinner: yes, the Volcano Cake (comes with whipped cream), but order vanilla ice cream, too. Might as well blow the calorie budget seriously!

Pinnacle lunch: Strawberry Pavlova or the brownie (with ice cream).

Have a great culinary adventure!

Great picks! That brownie is incredible. I like the fortune cookie and Thai donuts in the tamarind. I haven't found a decent dessert in Canaletto. Generally I like gelato but I've found when I've ordered it, it tastes like it's been siting in the freezer to long. They have amazing gelato on the koningsdam so I know it's possible.

We've had the Volcano Cake in the PG and find consistency a problem. Sometimes it is great, sometimes, over done. We had it once and it was over done and simply raw in the middle. We don't order anymore. The raspberry cheesecake isn't very nice either. On our last cruise DW ordered the Vanilla Souffle and it was unfortunately over baked and they used a chocolate truffle instead of a Drambuie Cream truffle. The combination of chocolate, vanilla, and mixed berries was not very appetizing. DW did not finish it. Now, we simply order the cheese tray or ice cream.

We have had the fortune cookie and donuts in the Tamarind. The fortune cookie was several years ago when it was served the size of a large dinner plate. It was simply okay. The donuts were so poor that we have never ordered them again. The sorbets, Tamarind Chocolate and Mango Cloud are our go to now. The Mango Cloud is a nice, light refreshing dish that cleans the palate and a nice way to end the meal.

We really enjoyed the tiramisu and the gelato in Canalleto.

I'm considering ordering Volcano Cake at Pinnacle Grill next month too, but not too sure about Grand Marnier, because I don't drink alcohol (don't like the taste). Can you order the cake without the liqueur? Or is it baked into it?

Wish Westerdam had Tamarind!

I'm considering ordering Volcano Cake at Pinnacle Grill next month too, but not too sure about Grand Marnier, because I don't drink alcohol (don't like the taste). Can you order the cake without the liqueur? Or is it baked into it?

Wish Westerdam had Tamarind!

Can't speak to whether it can be cooked without it but I'm not a fan of grand marnier and don't find it to be overpowering in the cake. Of course, others are likely to disagree :D.

Great picks! That brownie is incredible. I like the fortune cookie and Thai donuts in the tamarind. I haven't found a decent dessert in Canaletto. Generally I like gelato but I've found when I've ordered it, it tastes like it's been siting in the freezer to long. They have amazing gelato on the koningsdam so I know it's possible.

Was your brownie served with popcorn on top? DH thought that was weird, but in the end couldn't get enough of it!

I don't think Canaletto has ever had a decent dessert.

Can't speak to whether it can be cooked without it but I'm not a fan of grand marnier and don't find it to be overpowering in the cake. Of course, others are likely to disagree :D.

I taste the Grand Marnier only in the whipped cream. Sometimes it can be pretty strong.

Was your brownie served with popcorn on top? DH thought that was weird, but in the end couldn't get enough of it!

I don't think Canaletto has ever had a decent dessert.

Yes, the first time I got it. I love popcorn but it doesn't like me so I ask them to leave it off. I did enjoy it when it was on the dessert.