New to Crusing, Not sure which date or cabin to purchase. Please help, 24hour hold.

rhegium

Which cruise would you choose?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise would you choose?

• Jan 14th Trip - 2 Interiors
    • Jan 14th Trip - Average aft balcony & 1 Interior
    • February 14th Trip, Aft Corner Balcony & 1 Interior
    • February 14th Trip, 2 Interiors

40th Birthday present for wife. Please help so I make the right choice.

Originally was going to go during the week of MLK, but instead got sold on this room and have a 24 day hold.

2 adults & 3 children on Liberty of Seas either trip.

Option 1 Jan 14th 7 Nights to Cozumel, Roatan and Costa Maya. Interior Rooms 2,089 total or 3200 for one interior and one balcony (8172 & 8707) directly with Royal. Could go with travel agent and get interiors for about 50 bucks less with 100 in OBC. But I guess not guaranteed room location like dealing directly with RC.

Option 2, Feb 4th 7 Nights to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. Interior rooms same price with no OBC. However, RC rep recommended Balcony for 2573 and 1 Interior room for 1086. They would be within 3 rooms of each other. Room she recommended is 7708 which is an aft corner. Seems really nice because kids and parents can all sit on balcony at same time. Found actually a youtube video of it.

This however is way more than I thought I would spend. Basically almost double and a little later than I wanted to go. But I think I like the ports of call are better on the 4th vs the 14th cruise. Is it worth to spend for the nice balcony? Whats your impression of the ports of call? Are they kid friendly? Also should I use a travel agent? Interiors would allow for 2 excursions, would at most do 1 cheap one if I got a balcony. Thank you for your help in advance.

I would definitely go option 1, spend less money on the cabins and more on other things such as excursions and perhaps a nice dinner at a speciality restaurant for your wife's birthday. Realistically, there will be so much to do on both the ship and in ports that your kids aren't going to want to spend time sitting around on the balcony.

Get out there and enjoy the ship!! Have fun :)

I would definitely go option 1, spend less money on the cabins and more on other things such as excursions and perhaps a nice dinner at a speciality restaurant for your wife's birthday. Realistically, there will be so much to do on both the ship and in ports that your kids aren't going to want to spend time sitting around on the balcony.

Get out there and enjoy the ship!! Have fun :)

I agree, given those choices.

I agree with the other posts. Go for option 1. Save the money for excursions, things to do on the ship, etc. Your kids will just be happy to be on vacation, on a ship with lots of fun things for them to do. They are not going to waste time sitting around on the balcony.

Your wife is a lucky woman. Have fun!

Edited to add: I bet if you do some research on the ports of call boards, you can also get some ideas on lower cost options for excursions. Booking through Royal/the ship is certainly more convenient, but usually also more costly.

I would also go for option 1. I have 3 kids and we've been on a lot of cruises and they (still) don't really care about the balcony. Use the money you save on excursions; that's what the kids tend to remember. See the ports of call boards for what to do in each port.

I actually booked 7708 for my kids on Liberty and they didn't use the balcony.

I would take any option that would get me a balcony. We spend time in the cabin waiting for others to get ready for wherever we’re going. It’s nice to be able to spend that time on the balcony. We also like to end each day on the balcony with a nightcap or two.

Personally, I'd avoid interior cabin. It's so tiny and there's no window. I know you're not in it much, but it's still a bit unsettling. However at that price, it's hard to justify paying for a balcony. I'm on Oasis next week and paid about $500 more for an OV balcony (2 adults) so that much I can live with, but over $1,000 is quite a bit of an increase.

Id go with interiors for option one. Since you are new to cruising you probably wont spend hardly any time in the room. If it was your 3rd or 4th time on the ship you might be less inclined to go out each day and explore the ship.

Balconeys are nice but I dont think they are worth 1100.00 more if you are budget conscious.

If you booked further out Id suggest a Family Ocean View if the kids are younger.

Your wife will enjoy. My wifey loves cruising as its one of the only vacations we do where she doesnt have to manage meals or clothing or schedules... kids are up and in bathing suits and off to the buffet before we are even out of bed...

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I chose #2 with the corner aft balcony mostly for the itinerary; however, I consider that corner aft balcony to be the "best" cabin on that ship!! The views are spectacular!!:hearteyes: But, have you considered a "Promenade" window room?:rolleyes: These are a little more than an inside but cheaper than the ocean view balconies, and the windows are great for people, as well as "parade" watching:cool:, which your kids would probably enjoy!! You can get adjoining cabins and have the option to leave the adjoining open or closed. Some people don't like these cabins because of needing to keep the drapes closed for privacy but DH and I don't have a problem with that! In any event, like I said in the beginning, that aft balcony cabin is the best IMO but our children are grown, so pick the cabin just right for your family!! Looking forward to finding out which cabin you choose!! Cheers!!:*

We are usually in a balcony, but honestly, we don't use it. There's the time you spend at the pool; there's the time you spend eating; there's the time you spend in a bar looking out the windows there; there's the time you spend in port; there's the time you spend getting ready in the morning and the time you spend getting ready for dinner, and there's the time you spend getting ready for bed. All those activities use up "balcony time." All those pictures with people standing or sitting on the balcony with the wind lightly ruffling the hair are to make you think that's what will "make the cruise," but we've not found that to be the case. Something else to consider: when we do go out and peer over the railing and look along the ship, we see very few people on their balconies.

If it were me, I'd go with the interior cabins and enjoy the excursions, and a really nice set of family photos the extra money will buy. If you love cruising, there will be others, and you can try a balcony and see if it makes a tremendous difference to you--for us, it doesn't, especially on "port intensive" cruises.

Our first cruise was interior. We didn't go for many years after that. Next one was Alaska - had to get a balcony for that. Now we're spoiled! So I would stick with interior. Balconies are great, but if you're trying to save some cash I say option 1 as well. There's always next time or even later to do a balcony. Just my thoughts. Happy cruising!!

I would do an aft or regular balcony for you and your spouse and the kids across the hall in an interior. I think an interior cabin would be too claustrophobic for me and my husband, but kids adapt to them. Also consider a family balcony cabin which is a really nice option for five- but I like the idea of two bathrooms- and a balcony cabin for you would give you and an interior cabin for the kids would give you that.

Even two oceanviews would IMO be better then an interior cabin for you and your spouse.