Passport for RCL Labadee Stop?

dlh136

Maybe it is European cruises -- was it a Royal ship? When you departed at a port stop, did you get your passport when leaving the ship?

No, not Royal and we did not get our passports back until the end of the cruise, so we left the ship without them when in port. We never take them with us unless it's a requirement , like in Russia.

Thank you so much for your information. It would bother me to surrender my passport and be unsure how I was going to get it back. We are looking into getting those Passport cards to have in addition to our passport book.

With so many people on board how exactly did they return the passports to you?

I believe we stood in line and went through some kind of immigration process at the end of the cruise.

No, not Royal and we did not get our passports back until the end of the cruise, so we left the ship without them when in port. We never take them with us unless it's a requirement , like in Russia.

Considering the way the world is today, I would want my passport with me in ANY European country, especially if I was on a private excursion, not one organized through Royal. At least on a Royal organized excursion if there is some delay getting back to the ship, the ship waits.

Thank you so much for your information. It would bother me to surrender my passport and be unsure how I was going to get it back. We are looking into getting those Passport cards to have in addition to our passport book.

With so many people on board how exactly did they return the passports to you?

We were given a receipt when we gave them away and a time was announced to pick them up in the MDR. It was very organized, although on one ship, one person was allowed to pick up for their entire party but on another, you could only pick up your own. :D

I remember on the Mariner cruise some people wanted their passport to take off the ship for a port day so they went to guest relations but were told no. They were not very happy;)

Sherri:)

We were given a receipt when we gave them away and a time was announced to pick them up in the MDR. It was very organized, although on one ship, one person was allowed to pick up for their entire party but on another, you could only pick up your own. :D

I remember on the Mariner cruise some people wanted their passport to take off the ship for a port day so they went to guest relations but were told no. They were not very happy;)

Sherri:)

With the ability to get the passport ID card, when I sail and am in any way worried, I will just make sure to have that so that I don't worry about giving them my passport book.

Your info was invaluable....so thanks!!!

ALWAYS, lock your passports in the cabin safe. Make a photocopy of your passport to take into ports with you if you want, along with your government issued photo ID. You never need your passport after Day 1 until you get back into the states to debark.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have not needed it because in all of my cruises I have never been left behind. :) Your way of thinking is fine. I am not trying to convince anyone that my way is the only way or even necessarily the right way. My way is my way. I don't really care who does, or does not, agree with it. Neither do I really care what anyone else does with their passport.

Exactly. You put it perfectly.

I will admit we have only sailed on Royal and only had the opportunity to sail the Caribbean, but Royal has NEVER taken our passports and held them. We have gone on 23 sailings to date.

Some sailings and some lines hold passports. I think it used to happen more frequently in the past.

Was just in Labadee two days ago on Harmony. No passport or other gov't ID needed. Only sea pass card needed. Card works there for drinks just like onboard. I also took some cash to tip the guy who set up our beach chairs (about 10 from our family group of 15). Didn't buy anything at the craft market.

Was in Falmouth yesterday. Cabin attendant told us we needed passport to get off. This was incorrect. Only needed sea pass card. Ventured outside the port gates, and only needed sea pass card to get back inside (asked beforehand) and back onboard. Not sure if others have had a different experience, but I always ask beforehand.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Was just in Labadee two days ago on Harmony. No passport or other gov't ID needed. Only sea pass card needed. Card works there for drinks just like onboard. I also took some cash to tip the guy who set up our beach chairs (about 10 from our family group of 15). Didn't buy anything at the craft market.

Was in Falmouth yesterday. Cabin attendant told us we needed passport to get off. This was incorrect. Only needed sea pass card. Ventured outside the port gates, and only needed sea pass card to get back inside (asked beforehand) and back onboard. Not sure if others have had a different experience, but I always ask beforehand.

I should add that I got off twice in Falmouth. Had passport first time per cabin attendant instructions. Left it in the safe second time but did take driver's license just in case. Just reporting here that neither were needed.

I should add that I got off twice in Falmouth. Had passport first time per cabin attendant instructions. Left it in the safe second time but did take driver's license just in case. Just reporting here that neither were needed.

There is a notice on cruise compass what ID is necessary for each port

There is a notice on cruise compass what ID is necessary for each port
Yes, cruise compass said gov't issued ID was needed for Falmouth. However, was never asked for anything but sea pass card.

Poor advice, Keith, for ports other than Labadee: unforeseen circumstances occur. If an emergency/accident occurs and you miss the ship you will not be leaving the island until you get your passport replaced.

1000% correct.

Keith I have heard of people getting "stranded" on an island and having to wait until the next day to get to the US Embassy to start the process of getting a replacement passport.

Carry the passport with you but do it carefully.

I've been on a least two Med cruises where the cruise line held our passports.

Similar. Collected from passengers before the Africa stops, returned during the sea day en route to Spain in my case. Also South America took the passports in Chile at boarding, gave them back as part of the customs/immigration clearance that happened on the ship in Brazil.

Had passport held once by Royal while cruising Valparaiso to Los Angles while on Mariner of the Seas. Last sea day they gave passports back after lining up int he MDR. Had to surrender our passports after getting off Brilliance of the Seas in Tunisia, Tunis port authority tossed them into a shoe box and returned them as you were re boarding the ship.. In over 20 cruises we have never taken our passport off the ship except for Tunis. With all the pick pockets in European tourist areas I would never even consider taking a passport of the ship.