Passport for RCL Labadee Stop?

dlh136

Do we need to take our passports with us at the stop in Labadee? We don't intend to leave the RCL area, and I would prefer not to carry them around the beach/etc. Also, do the craft shops require cash/credit?

Thank you

No need to take your passport. You will not get left behind there. The RCL area is relatively small and you can not leave it without being on one of their tours. You can not walk off on your own.

Take cash for the market and tips. [setting up chairs and bathroom] I think you may be able to use credit in the official straw market. But, the other vendors want cash.

Do we need to take our passports with us at the stop in Labadee? We don't intend to leave the RCL area, and I would prefer not to carry them around the beach/etc. Also, do the craft shops require cash/credit?

Thank you

Unless you plan on climbing a fence, sneaking past the guards, and hiking over a steep mountain, you will not be leaving the RCCL area (LOL).

Rule of thumb, is a craft shack, stand, or any street vendor, will be a cash only place, and a real store front might take credit cards. So Labadee will be cash only.

Same response I gave you on the other thread.

Leave your passport on the ship. No need to carry it. This is true for all ports unless you are required by local government to carry it which is not the case in any place I can think of in the Caribbean.

Keith

Same response I gave you on the other thread.

Leave your passport on the ship. No need to carry it. This is true for all ports unless you are required by local government to carry it which is not the case in any place I can think of in the Caribbean.

Keith

Poor advice, Keith, for ports other than Labadee: unforeseen circumstances occur. If an emergency/accident occurs and you miss the ship you will not be leaving the island until you get your passport replaced.

Poor advice, Keith, for ports other than Labadee: unforeseen circumstances occur. If an emergency/accident occurs and you miss the ship you will not be leaving the island until you get your passport replaced.

I cruise all over the world.

Our cruise line holds the passports in all places with the only exception being if the local government requires you to carry them or if you are staying at a hotel overnight.

As I mentioned earlier the chance of you losing or having your passport stolen is far greater then any benefit of carrying it.

Like most things people can disagree but this is the approach that we have taken on about 120 cruises and works well for us and those whom we travel with.

Keith

So, I thought I read on another thread that if ship is going to leave you behind that security is sent to your room to search for passports, and the passports are left with port agent. Is there any truth to this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They will take everything out of the safe to bring to you, so just keep it in the safe, and you should be fine.

So, I thought I read on another thread that if ship is going to leave you behind that security is sent to your room to search for passports, and the passports are left with port agent. Is there any truth to this?

Yes, that is correct.

Keith

They will take everything out of the safe to bring to you, so just keep it in the safe, and you should be fine.

Thanks. I read this and I wasn’t sure if this were true or not, but is a great way to plan ahead. I just told my wife that we will put passports, meds, one credit card, and one cell phone in safe while we are in port.

That’s fine so long as the assumption is that the ship knows prior to departure that you can’t reboard and that they know where you are. The ship won’t wait and will not come looking for you except in the case of a cruise line sponsored shore excursion.

In the end, measure your tolerance for risk and act accordingly.

That’s fine so long as the assumption is that the ship knows prior to departure that you can’t reboard and that they know where you are. The ship won’t wait and will not come looking for you except in the case of a cruise line sponsored shore excursion.

In the end, measure your tolerance for risk and act accordingly.

They know who is onboard and who is not. While they might not wait or go looking for you, they know who has checked in.

Thank you

No need to take your passport at Labadee.

I cruise all over the world.

Our cruise line holds the passports in all places with the only exception being if the local government requires you to carry them or if you are staying at a hotel overnight.

As I mentioned earlier the chance of you losing or having your passport stolen is far greater then any benefit of carrying it.

Like most things people can disagree but this is the approach that we have taken on about 120 cruises and works well for us and those whom we travel with.

Keith

And I have traveled all over the world with my passport in my pocket. I've never lost it. We all have our own ways of doing things. Your risk/benefit of carrying a passport is your assessment but not mine.

I have read that on these boards many times. I don't believe I've ever seen it on RCI's site nor is it mentioned in the cruise contract. I don't recall anyone who has ever encountered the situation coming back and posting to these boards just how things were handled. I have no idea whether or not it is true and I don't know how others know to be able to state it as fact. Either way, I don't particularly like having to depend on someone else to make sure that what I need is left behind for me or to get it to me. I'm much more comfortable depending on me to take care of my needs but that is just my type A personality coming through.

I have read that on these boards many times. I don't believe I've ever seen it on RCI's site nor is it mentioned in the cruise contract. I don't recall anyone who has ever encountered the situation coming back and posting to these boards just how things were handled. I have no idea whether or not it is true and I don't know how others know to be able to state it as fact. Either way, I don't particularly like having to depend on someone else to make sure that what I need is left behind for me or to get it to me. I'm much more comfortable depending on me to take care of my needs but that is just my type A personality coming through.

There have been several accounts of people having that happen. Their passports and stuff from their days were waiting at the pier agent. The ones that had more issues are the ones where they had their passports, and they were either stolen or somebody else has them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

And I have traveled all over the world with my passport in my pocket. I've never lost it. We all have our own ways of doing things. Your risk/benefit of carrying a passport is your assessment but not mine.

Agree. Haven't lost anything in 20 years of cruising. Been tempted to lose a kid or two on an island but that's for another thread. ;p

Never take your passport off the ship, leave it in the safe, unless you are required to. Miss the ship and your passport will be left with the port agent on the pier. Take your passport and it gets stolen you are sol, if it gets stolen and you miss the ship you are extremely SOL

Never take your passport off the ship, leave it in the safe, unless you are required to. Miss the ship and your passport will be left with the port agent on the pier. Take your passport and it gets stolen you are sol, if it gets stolen and you miss the ship you are extremely SOL

Totally agree. No one thinks that will happen to them...until it does.

Murphy's Law.

No need to take your passport. You will not get left behind there. The RCL area is relatively small and you can not leave it without being on one of their tours. You can not walk off on your own.

Take cash for the market and tips. [setting up chairs and bathroom] I think you may be able to use credit in the official straw market. But, the other vendors want cash.

You can use a credit card at the shop at the end of the tramway for purchases over $20.00..